National News Government alert system: are you bothered?

Are you bothered by the alert system?

• Yes - but I’m keeping the setting on

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used to work at Crowthorne in the 90s and they would test the escape siren for Broadmoor hospital every Monday.

I used to work at Crowthorne in the 90s and they would test the escape siren for Broadmoor hospital every Monday.

We are near enough that my missus had to sign to say whether we like our little un to stay at school or be sent home if they get told someone has escaped Broadmoor. They don't do the alarm any more though, well not so it can be heard in the surrounding towns like it apparently used to.

In Plymouth they periodically test the siren/alarm at the docks, I think it’s regarding something nuclear - or at least they used to

In Plymouth they periodically test the siren/alarm at the docks, I think it’s regarding something nuclear - or at least they used to

The siren used to be tested regularly when Abingdon was still an airbase. Don't remember it particularly since the Army moved in though.

Ear worm for the old folk............

Every lousy Monday morning
Heathrow jets go crashing over our home
Ten o'clock Broadmoor siren
Driving me mad, won't leave me alone

Got mine at 15,20 clocks must be slow thought they said 3pm, Mrs Bazzer had hers at 3pm so that mean I can’t get to safety in time ☹️

Got mine at 15,20 clocks must be slow thought they said 3pm, Mrs Bazzer had hers at 3pm so that mean I can’t get to safety in time ☹️

Still haven't got mine. If a nuclear bomb comes my way, hopefully it lands right on top of me so nice and quick.

I remember playing golf at the old Blue Mountain golf course next to Broadmoor when that test alarm went off.
Damn near s**t myself.
No one told us it was tested every Monday morning.

I'd rather not have a mobile alarm in my pocket, controlled by Government. The UK is not prone to sudden natural disasters so I don't really see what the point is.

You feel if this sort of nannying happened at any time before the Millennium people would be up in arms about it. We've definitely lost our instinct for total freedom, even if this is a relatively low level example of control.

I can't be arsed turning it off yet but the first time I get an alarm for 50mph winds in Scunthorpe, or a wildfire in the Cairngorns when I'm 300 miles away, it's getting deactivated.
The alert can be targeted at specific areas, you won’t need to worry about a bad case of wind in Scunthorpe.

Am i bothered, NO, where do i live ?. Carterton, with the runway from the biggest military airbase in Europe ( Brize Norton ) passing the back of my house, if anything happened here i wouldnt stand a chance, so who cares, its my choice to live here and i am happy.

Back
Top Bottom