National News has the government failed the people with the latest energy price cap?

Have the government failed the people?

• Yes

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Dont know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lets have a general strike

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I blame Corbyn

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep I know it may now depend on how much more serious the cost of living gets.

I think she'll just borrow more as that seems to be the attitude that growth will cover it (this didn't work last time) but could be wrong and she sees sense.

I will say the Govt are pushing new supply contracts (lower price but longer term guaranteed sums) for non Gas Energy electricity producers. These would replace existing contracts but I don't think they'd come even close to the value of a windfall tax like the EU are proposing.

I think she'll just borrow more as that seems to be the attitude that growth will cover it (this didn't work last time) but could be wrong and she sees sense.

I will say the Govt are pushing new supply contracts (lower price but longer term guaranteed sums) for non Gas Energy electricity producers. These would replace existing contracts but I don't think they'd come even close to the value of a windfall tax like the EU are proposing.

You mean there is more than one way to skin a cat?
A lower UK long term fixed price removes the market volatility/susceptibility.
What happens in Europe once the price escalates? Is their tax just a short term/one off windfall tax or a longer term plan

If Europe remains tied to Russia and the markets, the UK could make gains by selling surplus to them at market rates, surplus that has been produced at a lower tariff.

Complex game with not many easy fixes except shouting "windfall tax"..................

If Europe remains tied to Russia and the markets, the UK could make gains by selling surplus to them at market rates, surplus that has been produced at a lower tariff.

Complex game with not many easy fixes except shouting "windfall tax"..................
Ignoring the fact that your series of 'what ifs' won't happen.....

The UK? You mean energy companies can make more profits? That sounds like a good solution to the obscene profits of energy companies. 🤔

Shell just announced a doubling (compared to same quarter last year) of quarterly profits at $9billion driven by the current price increases. Yet still some people are still against windfall taxes...

Edit: in a different measure, that works out at around £4million profit an hour.

Last edited:
Shell just announced a doubling (compared to same quarter last year) of quarterly profits at $9billion driven by the current price increases. Yet still some people are still against windfall taxes...

Ironically, the Shell CEO is in favour of a windfall tax to help the poorest.

But fiddling the books so he doesn't pay one

They get tax relief for further exploration and decommissioning old rigs/kit.

Take a look at the accounts and you will see there is an increase in green/renewable spend.

Last but not least - Q3 profit was less than Q2.

I had 1000 BP shares a while back and wished I’d kept them.
I thought that the government would do the right thing and windfall the oil companies. The banks are coining it as interest rates rise again. The government bailed out the banks years ago. Now the tables are turned they should pay their way too.
It is high time they shared their responsibilities too, instead of the taxpayers being royally fleeced

Back
Top Bottom