National News Prince Phillip has died

Exactly my point @Big Ron, if we keep getting angry about stuff we just go round in circles. That’s just not healthy.
Jump off the angry train, onto the platform and take a break in the cafe of calm.
What was that that went straight over your head?

But it's OK for you to complain about the complainers. Is that because you're "right" and they're "wrong?"

I would say that if 100,000 people have complained then that is the tip of the iceberg, in terms of how many people were actually pissed off. I know I was pissed off about it, but I never complained to the BBC, and I'm not sure I'd know how to? So, in reality, your comment saying" they just had to complain" does not really hold water. The reality is SOME of them felt the need to complain, not all of them.

As for watching something else, that was very difficult due to all mainstream channels having blanket coverage. I have Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc, so was able to avoid the blanket coverage, but not everyone does. What is particularly galling about the BBC specifically is that they have several channels, and are a public service, publicly funded, broadcaster. Therefore they did not need to put the same blanket coverage on EVERY channel of theirs. This is where they got it wrong. As much as it upsets you, not everyone wanted to watch wall to wall coverage for several hours and the BBC should, and I'm sure do/did, realise this. But instead of providing for different people's requirements (which is their remit) they decided to unilaterally force feed coverage on every one of their channels, giving people no choice. It was almost North Korean in its imposition.

Without coming out too Victor Meldrew, that is not what I pay my licence fee for. Surely any intelligent and rational person can understand this? We are all different, and the day our state broadcaster starts dictating that we should all be "force grieving" is a sad day for democracy in my view and has probably hardened many peoples' views against the monarchy, which I'm sure was not their intention.

Lastly, before anybody goes on about "respect" this is not about respect, it's about allowing those who want to watch this stuff to watch it, while realising that many people don't, so they should also be catered for by a publicly funded broadcaster.
I can complain, you can complain, we all can, about anything we want. It’s a free country, who is ever right and wrong.
Read my ‘complaint’ as more of an exasperated assessment of the complaining, entitled society that we live in nowadays, one that cannot possibly understand or respect the BBC changing schedules for something they don’t like, for 26 hours, take off the average 8 hours sleep, and it’s 18.
On one occasion. Perspective.
As for comparisons to North Korea, give your head a wobble.

Why on earth shouldn’t people complain? The license fee places people in the position of paying customers. If Ifollow decide to show the funeral on Saturday instead of the games, would it be permissible for people to complain?
In the grand scheme of life and everything that’s going on around the world, it’s so far out of perspective it’s ridiculous. But hey, each to their own.
Today’s society unfortunately. It may be different in Australia, is there a culture where people complain about absolutely anything?

I can complain, you can complain, we all can, about anything we want. It’s a free country, who is ever right and wrong.
Read my ‘complaint’ as more of an exasperated assessment of the complaining, entitled society that we live in nowadays, one that cannot possibly understand or respect the BBC changing schedules for something they don’t like, for 26 hours, take off the average 8 hours sleep, and it’s 18.
On one occasion. Perspective.
As for comparisons to North Korea, give your head a wobble.
So you've only picked out the North Korea comment in my post and ignored the rest.

And anyone disagreeing with you lacks perspective? I made a number of constructive points, but you'd rather go for the North Korea soundbite than debate them. Also because people complain then they're "entitled" according to you. Now I don't disagree there is a section of society that seems to complain a lot, often on behalf of others who they feel have been wronged, but that's not what's happening here.

You seem incapable of understanding that many people have a different view to yours, and seem to think we should all conform to your royalist views or we're lacking in "respect" Perhaps it's you that is lacking in the respect of other peoples' views and it's your head that needs a wobble!

Without coming out too Victor Meldrew, that is not what I pay my licence fee for. Surely any intelligent and rational person can understand this? We are all different, and the day our state broadcaster starts dictating that we should all be "force grieving" is a sad day for democracy in my view and has probably hardened many peoples' views against the monarchy, which I'm sure was not their intention.

Lastly, before anybody goes on about "respect" this is not about respect, it's about allowing those who want to watch this stuff to watch it, while realising that many people don't, so they should also be catered for by a publicly funded broadcaster.

Fair points actually.

I thought the attention has been over the top in some respects, but I also felt the level of negativity was also over the top.

But putting it like that does make a lot a rational sense.

I will also add this:

My old mum is a pretty stalwart monarchist. And she is quite happy to have the BBC News channel on for hours (and hours and hours). Surely a prime candidate for all this?

But even she (unprompted) brought this subject up on the phone the other say and said it was 'over the top' and she didn't understand why the BBC has gone 'so overboard'. So it isn't just those who aren't pro-monarchy who think it was too much.

In the grand scheme of life and everything that’s going on around the world, it’s so far out of perspective it’s ridiculous. But hey, each to their own.
Today’s society unfortunately. It may be different in Australia, is there a culture where people complain about absolutely anything?
#irony?

So you've only picked out the North Korea comment in my post and ignored the rest.

And anyone disagreeing with you lacks perspective? I made a number of constructive points, but you'd rather go for the North Korea soundbite than debate them. Also because people complain then they're "entitled" according to you. Now I don't disagree there is a section of society that seems to complain a lot, often on behalf of others who they feel have been wronged, but that's not what's happening here.

You seem incapable of understanding that many people have a different view to yours, and seem to think we should all conform to your royalist views or we're lacking in "respect" Perhaps it's you that is lacking in the respect of other peoples' views and it's your head that needs a wobble!
Tell you what, do me an executive summary next time and I’ll answer it all. The benefits of retirement eh?
In my opinion, formally complaining about a schedule change for a one off event of national historical significance that ‘disrupted’ people’s viewing habits for 18 hours is disproportionate and lacks perspective on this issue, particularly when considered against other current events.
I respect that people were inconvenienced, I hear it from my wife each time her viewing is moved by Comic Relief, international games etc etc., but she doesn’t formally complain, why not? Because in the scheme of things it’s a triviality and doesn’t happen very often.
What we don’t know is what proportion of those complaining were the wronged, entitled moaners of this world, I’ll give you that, but given that there were so many complaints in a complaining culture when seemingly people want to moan about anything,, I can only assume in the absence of that information that this number of complaints are largely driven by a generation of woke younger generation. Happy to be proved wrong and maybe it’s just a reflection of my disdain for that generation.

I also recognise that everyone has an opinion and a variety of views, I’m sure neither of us would have been able to retire by now if we didn’t, but seriously, comparing the ‘imposition’ of the coverage to the regime in North Korea is just bonkers, surely you can see that.

Now we can either agree to disagree, or kick the a**e out of this until we get banned.

Tell you what, do me an executive summary next time and I’ll answer it all. The benefits of retirement eh? I don't have to, I made a number of constructive points, and you ignored them.
In my opinion, formally complaining about a schedule change for a one off event of national historical significance that ‘disrupted’ people’s viewing habits for 18 hours is disproportionate and lacks perspective on this issue, particularly when considered against other current events. Yes, in your opinion. And that's what it is an opinion. My opinion is different and I don't have to agree with you just because you claim it to be of "national historical importance" For what it's worth I think the world has moved on from having to stop because a 99 year old royal has died.
I respect that people were inconvenienced, I hear it from my wife each time her viewing is moved by Comic Relief, international games etc etc., but she doesn’t formally complain, why not? Because in the scheme of things it’s a triviality and doesn’t happen very often.
What we don’t know is what proportion of those complaining were the wronged, entitled moaners of this world, I’ll give you that, but given that there were so many complaints in a complaining culture when seemingly people want to moan about anything,, I can only assume in the absence of that information that this number of complaints are largely driven by a generation of woke younger generation. Happy to be proved wrong and maybe it’s just a reflection of my disdain for that generation.

I also recognise that everyone has an opinion and a variety of views, I’m sure neither of us would have been able to retire by now if we didn’t, but seriously, comparing the ‘imposition’ of the coverage to the regime in North Korea is just bonkers, surely you can see that. I did not LITERALLY compare it to North Korea, I said it was almost North Korean, thereby selecting an extreme example to make my point. But, yes, it was imposed on us, we had no choice.

Now we can either agree to disagree, or kick the a**e out of this until we get banned. Says the man who's posted on this thread eleven times today!

See my answers above. This is going round in circles, I disagree with you, you disagree with me. I think you're wrong, you think I'm wrong. I'm getting bored with going over the same stuff, and I suspect others are getting bored reading it, so I'll leave you to have the last say if you so wish. Any idea if Morrisons is open at 3pm on Saturday???!!!

See my answers above. This is going round in circles, I disagree with you, you disagree with me. I think you're wrong, you think I'm wrong. I'm getting bored with going over the same stuff, and I suspect others are getting bored reading it, so I'll leave you to have the last say if you so wish. Any idea if Morrisons is open at 3pm on Saturday???!!!
At least we agree on something.
And no idea, we have ours delivered 😉

Morrisons share price down 1%, might be worth a punt.at £1.81.

The coverage has been seen by many as OTT because if you're not a royal follower you wonder what he's done in the last 50 years save 'support' the Queen (whatever that means - who doesn't support their partner/spouse?) and shake hands. He's only in the press if he insults someone, shoots a tiger or nearly kills someone on the road.

Well you dont get many Royals carking it do you so i guess they're gonna milk it......bad form tho putting it on at 3pm.......taking the P**s i reckon.

Well you dont get many Royals carking it do you so i guess they're gonna milk it......bad form tho putting it on at 3pm.......taking the P**s i reckon.
Unreal pearls, offered by real swine

Back
Top Bottom