National News Prince Phillip has died

So.......over 100,000 people have now COMPLAINED about the BBC clearing their schedules for coverage of the Duke’s death.
Turn over to something else? turn it off? go for a walk?
Nope, they just HAD to voice their righteous indignation and fury as well.
How’s that for a reflection of our society today that people who miss ONE f*****g episode of Eastenders or Masterchef final just HAVE to complain about it..
God help us, I can’t wait for Newswatch to come back on BBC, it’s comedy gold 😃

So.......over 100,000 people have now COMPLAINED about the BBC clearing their schedules for coverage of the Duke’s death.
How’s that for a reflection of our society today that people who miss ONE f*****g episode of Eastenders or Masterchef final just HAVE to complain about it..
People are allowed to voice there opinions to be fair I’d rather watch eastenders than watch the same old thing about some bloke I never knew or cared about it was OTT but each to there own opinion

People are allowed to voice there opinions to be fair I’d rather watch eastenders than watch the same old thing about some bloke I never knew or cared about it was OTT but each to there own opinion

I can never understand the attraction of Eastenders - talking of same old thing, isn’t it is always so depressing

I haven’t watched it for years but even the little clips you see depress the hell out of me. Always feuding, always shouting, screaming, crying, fighting.

Do they ever have a happy, smiley storyline?

And now you voice your religious indignation at their religious indignation.

Whose turn next?

I can never understand the attraction of Eastenders - talking of same old thing, isn’t it is always so depressing

I haven’t watched it for years but even the little clips you see depress the hell out of me. Always feuding, always shouting, screaming, crying, fighting.

Never.
They even killed off a dogs character recently and that had a long, lingering death.
Just when I thought there’ll be a happy ending with a new dog, that turned out to be someone else’s, and probably depressed.
My wife tells me all about it of course.

And now you voice your religious indignation at their religious indignation.

Whose turn next?
But mine’s not indignation, there’s not a shred of anger, it’s pure disbelief at what drives someone to actually complain and how I still find people’s priorities in life baffling sometimes. Especially when they’d rather watch Gogglebox. Each to their own eh?

But mine’s not indignation, there’s not a shred of anger, it’s pure disbelief at what drives someone to actually complain and how I still find people’s priorities in life baffling sometimes. Especially when they’d rather watch Gogglebox. Each to their own eh?
Go and reread your post and count the capital letters. 😉

I haven’t watched it for years to be fair but if it was a the only two things I could do either watch about the Prince or watch eastenders I know what I would choose
Go and hide in a dark room with abit of rope 😝

I remember back in the late sixties kick off was put back to 4pm to accommodate the Grand National. Nobody made a fuss. Believe it was Bradford Park Avenue at the Manor. The Prince deserves a good send off.

But it's OK for you to complain about the complainers. Is that because you're "right" and they're "wrong?"

I would say that if 100,000 people have complained then that is the tip of the iceberg, in terms of how many people were actually pissed off. I know I was pissed off about it, but I never complained to the BBC, and I'm not sure I'd know how to? So, in reality, your comment saying" they just had to complain" does not really hold water. The reality is SOME of them felt the need to complain, not all of them.

As for watching something else, that was very difficult due to all mainstream channels having blanket coverage. I have Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc, so was able to avoid the blanket coverage, but not everyone does. What is particularly galling about the BBC specifically is that they have several channels, and are a public service, publicly funded, broadcaster. Therefore they did not need to put the same blanket coverage on EVERY channel of theirs. This is where they got it wrong. As much as it upsets you, not everyone wanted to watch wall to wall coverage for several hours and the BBC should, and I'm sure do/did, realise this. But instead of providing for different people's requirements (which is their remit) they decided to unilaterally force feed coverage on every one of their channels, giving people no choice. It was almost North Korean in its imposition.

Without coming out too Victor Meldrew, that is not what I pay my licence fee for. Surely any intelligent and rational person can understand this? We are all different, and the day our state broadcaster starts dictating that we should all be "force grieving" is a sad day for democracy in my view and has probably hardened many peoples' views against the monarchy, which I'm sure was not their intention.

Lastly, before anybody goes on about "respect" this is not about respect, it's about allowing those who want to watch this stuff to watch it, while realising that many people don't, so they should also be catered for by a publicly funded broadcaster.

Last edited:
Contrary to your denial, if that isn't righteous indignation, I don't what is. See what you've done - now I'm getting all indignant about you getting indignant about them getting indignant.................is there no end to it!

ah, but there were 116 people complained that it was too easy to complain about the coverage. 233 complained that presenters weren't wearing "respectful enough clothing". 400 complained that Prince Andrew was included in the coverage.

It’s about large extended families that all live in each other’s pockets, cheat, argue, steal, fight and embarrass each other in public, essentially the Cockney Windsor’s so you would of thought Eastenders fans would enjoy the real life Royal soap opera.

Why on earth shouldn’t people complain? The license fee places people in the position of paying customers. If Ifollow decide to show the funeral on Saturday instead of the games, would it be permissible for people to complain?

Contrary to your denial, if that isn't righteous indignation, I don't what is. See what you've done - now I'm getting all indignant about you getting indignant about them getting indignant.................is there no end to it!
Exactly my point @Big Ron, if we keep getting angry about stuff we just go round in circles. That’s just not healthy.
Jump off the angry train, onto the platform and take a break in the cafe of calm.

Back
Top Bottom