Cricket

It opens up an interesting question - if you've got two batsmen that average 50, would you rather have one that scored 50 every innings, or one that scored 10 for six innings, and then hit 240 not out?

(obviously Root hasn't hit 50 every innings this series, so it's not a completely relevant question to this Ashes series.....but still a general one).

It's been a monumental knock from Cook, and has put us in a great position to win this Test. Respect due for that.

But if he'd logged some runs earlier in the series, we might not already be playing for pride.

It opens up an interesting question - if you've got two batsmen that average 50, would you rather have one that scored 50 every innings, or one that scored 10 for six innings, and then hit 240 not out?

(obviously Root hasn't hit 50 every innings this series, so it's not a completely relevant question to this Ashes series.....but still a general one).

It's been a monumental knock from Cook, and has put us in a great position to win this Test. Respect due for that.

But if he'd logged some runs earlier in the series, we might not already be playing for pride.

I think that you need people to score regularly but also to score big especially when they are decent pitches. England showed that 7-8 years ago when they scored huge first innings scores (500-600) and put the Aussis under a lot of pressure.

We have simply not scored enough where as Smith has scored big for the Aussis. At the start of the series I thought that to have a chance Root and Cook would needed to have scored big. Unfortunately neither of them have until this match and Cook's big score has given England a chance to win the match (although a draw is a good chance)

I think that you need people to score regularly but also to score big especially when they are decent pitches. England showed that 7-8 years ago when they scored huge first innings scores (500-600) and put the Aussis under a lot of pressure.

We have simply not scored enough where as Smith has scored big for the Aussis. At the start of the series I thought that to have a chance Root and Cook would needed to have scored big. Unfortunately neither of them have until this match and Cook's big score has given England a chance to win the match (although a draw is a good chance)

In 2010-11, Cook averaged almost 130. In this series, Smith has averaged over 125.
I suppose that's the key - if one of your best players does that, then you're going to be dominant.

In 2015, noone on either side averaged over 60.....hey presto, a tight series.

In 2010-11, Cook averaged almost 130. In this series, Smith has averaged over 125.
I suppose that's the key - if one of your best players does that, then you're going to be dominant.

In 2015, noone on either side averaged over 60.....hey presto, a tight series.

Yes agree. You have to say that the key to this series has been Smith's 125 average and Starc's bowling (particularly blowing our tail away virtually every time). Had Cook or Root (it was only likely to be them) averages 125 this whole series would have been far far closer.

Interestingly with the experienced players turning up (with the exception of Moeen), does that mean that preparation for the next Ashes series is delayed (if as seems likely Cook, Anderson, Broad are retained for New Zealand away)?

I assume that England will bat on tomorrow and try to get another 20-30 runs?

I assume that England will bat on tomorrow and try to get another 20-30 runs?
I’d have thought so yeah. Just put Aussie in the field for a while so Warner and the other bloke have to rush off when the innings is over, either way.

The averaging 50 question depends on the rest of the team. In a batting order where there is not that much experience, constant fifties aren't good enough to sustain a good score - the fact that recently England get to around 300 or so all out shows that. With an order of Cook, Strauss, Trott, KP, etc, it's a different question

FFS. I turned on this morning and we looked OK at 220 for 3.

Then Root and Bairstow both out to stupid shots...

England need a mindset change. Another big defeat is possible unless our tail get a lot of runs.

Moeen out of form, 15 runs (in 8 balls). Broad peppered by chin music, out for 5. Crane looks OK before bowled for 7. Anderson hangs around for 35mins scoring 2, allowing Malan to add another 25 and end not out. So another 54 runs added.

Well that's my thoughts on it. Really hope we somehow get past 350.

This innings is the story of England's series. Lots of starts. Malan at least looks like he is mentally strong and prepared to graft out there. At least the pitch seems to be a spinner, so Crane should be on a favourable wicket. It may even rouse Moeen from his slumber

This innings is the story of England's series. Lots of starts. Malan at least looks like he is mentally strong and prepared to graft out there. At least the pitch seems to be a spinner, so Crane should be on a favourable wicket. It may even rouse Moeen from his slumber
Heres hoping GB

Moeen out of form, 15 runs (in 8 balls). Broad peppered by chin music, out for 5. Crane looks OK before bowled for 7. Anderson hangs around for 35mins scoring 2, allowing Malan to add another 25 and end not out. So another 54 runs added.

Well that's my thoughts on it. Really hope we somehow get past 350.

You missed out Curran!

Think Stonemason and Vince are both done now. That's 8 and 12 Tests respectively and neither has managed to hit a hundred, or get their average above 30. Unless one of them gets a big ton in the second innings (which I can't see happening), they've both had a fair crack and haven't produced. Vince's dismissal in particular yesterday was absolutely pathetic. So two slots available at the top of the order next summer for someone who starts the County Championship season in good form......

With regards this Test - we need at least another 100 or we're toast again.

You missed out Curran!

Think Stonemason and Vince are both done now. That's 8 and 12 Tests respectively and neither has managed to hit a hundred, or get their average above 30. Unless one of them gets a big ton in the second innings (which I can't see happening), they've both had a fair crack and haven't produced. Vince's dismissal in particular yesterday was absolutely pathetic. So two slots available at the top of the order next summer for someone who starts the County Championship season in good form......

With regards this Test - we need at least another 100 or we're toast again.
Oh yeah, guess I have a blank where it comes to Surrey players ?. They did better than I'd feared, but already another defeat is on the horizon.

So we got 130 more, but they batted well. Feel England are 50 or so runs light to be competitive.

Aussies will probably declare with a lead of 200 plus. We will then see how much resolve this team has to get a draw. Personally I think they are mentally finished and another heavy defeat is on the cards.

Seems Crane did OK. Last proper leg-spinner I remember playing for England was Robin Hobbs (he wasn't much good): I must have missed someone, but who?

I thought Crane was good too. Him and Malan (and possibly Curran) have been the only real positives from the whole tour, for me.

I thought Crane was good too. Him and Malan (and possibly Curran) have been the only real positives from the whole tour, for me.

Shows how bad the winter has been,when people think a bowler who takes 1-135 @3.5 has been good .
As for Curran 1-65, 0-53 and 0-71 ?
England to get a draw,6/1 if you fancy it.

Every test seems to be a homer now.
Aussies rarely lose at home,rarely win away,in the last few years they have lost in England,SA,SL,India and drew in Bangladesh.

India,supposedly the best batting unit in world cricket,were 95-7 in SA this morning.

Curran for his first 2 tests has been fine, but just that. Considering the senior spinner has been AWOL on tour and Broad has had one good inning, he and Crane have done ok. Sadly, the Moeen Ali spinner experiment is done. Malan seems to get test match cricket where a lot of others haven't in recent years.

Crane 1-195 @ 4.03 is "doing ok"
Moeen Ali 2-170 @ 3.54 "spinner experiment is done " ?

Ali has had a bad tour,with bat and ball,how much his injury affected him,who knows ?

But he is a spinner with 131 wickets and 2,400 runs,he is 30 years old,to discard him now,with no ready made replacement, would be madness IMO.

Back
Top Bottom