Sport Cricket - Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteMerritt

Moderator & English Language Pedant
Staff member
Summer is here! ☀ 😎 ❄ ❄ New County Championship season starting today, and a new format with 3 groups.

Middx v Somerset live from Lord's:

England seem to be cramming the games in this year.
Tests v New Zealand and 5 v India and then various white ball games v NZ , Sri Lanka, Pakistan.

In the County Championship presumably the groups are regional? Is this COVID-19 driven?

Not regional, Kent are in with Yorkshire for example. You can read more about the format here...

Good start for my lot, currently 188-3 v Somerset, Sam Robson 122no. It won't last... 😁

Not regional, Kent are in with Yorkshire for example. You can read more about the format here...

Good start for my lot, currently 188-3 v Somerset, Sam Robson 122no. It won't last... 😁
You were right!
291 for 8

My lot (Sussex) had a fantastic few years when Mushtaq was there a few years ago, but have been pretty average since.
Middlesex are ok at the moment?

You were right!
291 for 8

My lot (Sussex) had a fantastic few years when Mushtaq was there a few years ago, but have been pretty average since.
Middlesex are ok at the moment?
Sam Robson got 165 of them, nobody else past 23...

Middx have been on the decline since winning the County Championship a few years back. Batting tends to be pretty fragile, especially since the loss of Malan to Yorkshire, bowlers usually do a decent job. Will probably finish in the middle of the group. I don't think we would have really troubled the Div 2 promotion race this time around if the format was as usual.

Sussex are a decent county, I've a good mate who lives in Brighton so always a good bit of banter around the games.

Middx 313, Somerset 72-6, Bamber 3-13, big year for him ahead hopefully.

Murtagh has been going for years and years. Still doing it.
Is Bamber an English young bowler?
Yeah, 23 or so. Been around the England youth setups but flattered to deceive a little in the Middx first XI. Had a loan last season to Gloucestershire I think it was and got some wickets, came back a different bowler.

Good start for my lot, currently 188-3 v Somerset, Sam Robson 122no. It won't last... [emoji16]

And I thought Duckworth-Lewis-Stern was complicated…

Ethan Bamber interviewed after day 2. Looks about 12 😂

Your lot still slighy favourites.
If they don't win Somerset scoring 80 odd for the last wicket won't have helped (Jack Leach is a decent No 11)
We had a bit of a collapse today from a really strong position, lost 4-4 at one point, not great watching 😂 I'd not put money on finishing it...

Sussex-Lancs got draw all over it.

The joys of being a sports fan.
Yep, Middx are the cricketing OUFC, get themselves into some really good positions, then find 'interesting' ways to stuff it all up... Still, would be boring to win all the time 😂

He is flying home for an op this weekend. Could be out for three months. Will definitely miss the NZ tests and some of the white ball matches after against Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Should be ok for India series in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom