Chris Cadden

Still not quite sure why Columbus would do anything other than stick to their guns.

I mean they signed him over the summer to be a part of their squad for the 2020 season.
They presumably did a ton of scouting and recruiting work on him to decide he was a good fit, and persuade him to join the club.

He's now come to Oxford, played really well and proven that he's an excellent player at League One level.....which is probably roughly equivalent to MLS (albeit a very different style of play).

So why exactly do we, or Karl, think they would be willing for their player not to play for them next year?

Chris Cadden states that he's really happy at Oxford.
We say that we want to keep him, and offer the kind of money that we offered Motherwell in the summer (£200k+).
Columbus Crew cash in on someone who has cost them absolutely nothing so far.

This may not be the traditional way that clubs do business, but it's hardly impossible that a deal could be done if all parties (except Motherwell) are keen.

Isn’t this deal under investigation by FIFA, or is it resolved??
If we turn out to be the beneficiaries of a dodgy deal, it could look really bad on us.

Chris Cadden states that he's really happy at Oxford.
We say that we want to keep him, and offer the kind of money that we offered Motherwell in the summer (£200k+).
Columbus Crew cash in on someone who has cost them absolutely nothing so far.

This may not be the traditional way that clubs do business, but it's hardly impossible that a deal could be done if all parties (except Motherwell) are keen.

Yeah, 200k doesn't really move the needle for an MLS club.
Cadden would have to make a hell of a ruckus to force their hand......

Isn’t this deal under investigation by FIFA, or is it resolved??
If we turn out to be the beneficiaries of a dodgy deal, it could look really bad on us.
Didnt we offer good money for him?
I am.bot sure why we would be implicated in anything especially as it is still likely he will fo go the US

One thing that could make him think is the chance of a recall to the Scotland squad, much easier to be looked at playing well here .

I didn't realise he is only 22. Really odd move to the MLS. He's easily L1 standard, and probably Championship. HIs chances of playing for Scotland while in the US are close to zero. I can't see how we would be accused of colluding with Columbus to avoid paying a transfer fee. If he does decide to stay with us (and let's hope he does), then maybe it's for : a) football reasons, and: b) because he realises that Oxford is a better place to live than Ohio....

If he does decide to stay with us (and let's hope he does), then maybe it's for : a) football reasons, and: b) because he realises that Oxford is a better place to live than Ohio....
How would he come to the conclusion that Oxford is a better place to live than Ohio when he’s yet to live there?

• React
Reactions: Ian
How would he come to the conclusion that Oxford is a better place to live than Ohio when he’s yet to live there?
His quality of life will be streets ahead in the States to what it would be here salary wise. A nice newbuild semi in Bicester or 3 acres of land, 6 bedrooms and a pool in Columbus. Tough choice.

His quality of life will be streets ahead in the States to what it would be here salary wise. A nice newbuild semi in Bicester or 3 acres of land, 6 bedrooms and a pool in Columbus. Tough choice.
I didn't realise he is only 22. Really odd move to the MLS. He's easily L1 standard, and probably Championship. HIs chances of playing for Scotland while in the US are close to zero. I can't see how we would be accused of colluding with Columbus to avoid paying a transfer fee. If he does decide to stay with us (and let's hope he does), then maybe it's for : a) football reasons, and: b) because he realises that Oxford is a better place to live than Ohio....
You’ve lived in Ohio then, have you? Perhaps he’s intelligent enough to have researched the comparative living stands himself?!

Well this is a new low in terms of the things that have led to squabbles on this forum. Someone asks the question of how a person could ever claim they prefer one thing over another when they’re yet to experience both, and therefore can’t possibly make such a call, and a shoving match breaks out that has nothing to do with any of it.

Just announce the new stadium, for the love of God.

He’s too young to worry about houses. He needs to press on with his career and will be ignored if he goes to the US

He’s too young to worry about houses. He needs to press on with his career and will be ignored if he goes to the US

But a potential usd 300k salary in America I think is more than a defender gets in league 1. Happy to be told I’m wrong. Perhaps at championship level the salaries might match?

But a potential usd 300k salary in America I think is more than a defender gets in league 1. Happy to be told I’m wrong. Perhaps at championship level the salaries might match?

Players in the championship earn a lot more than 300 grand a year. I can only guess he failed to attract any attention at that level and is using the MLS as a springboard while having an interesting experience in the meantime.

He won’t be here after new year, that’s not the deal so no point worrying about it. I should imagine we will replace him with another loanee, probably from a decent prem side.

Tend to agree - the 6 bedroom house with a pool is likely to be in the Columbus suburbs, and that's a great spot for a 40 year old with a family, not a 22 year old.

That being said, although I've never been to Columbus, so don't really know what it's like - I do know that it's home to The Ohio State university, and more than 60,000 students. The majority of whom are a bit more down-to-earth than ours, I should imagine.
So probably some good times to be had with $300k a year in your pocket and a Scottish accent........

Hello again. I posted on here a while back around the time you signed (or were about to announce) Cadden so thought I'd drop in and see how he's been doing for you chaps and noticed this thread.

Having kept half an eye on Oxford's results it seems like you've hit a decent bit of form and Cadden's been playing right back? The general feeling around him was that he'd kind of stagnated with Motherwell and that a move was definitely needed for his career. Has he improved any? He'd played on and off at right back with us but never had anything like a consistent run in the side there.

He'd not been helped by being asked to play as a wing back where he was fine but it just didn't really get the best from him that we'd seen playing as a straightforward right mid and also he struggled to find a natural position in the shape we played in so much as neither 352 or 433 suited him as a midfielder or forward. He wasn't technical enough to play as a central midfielder and not creative enough to play as a winger so oddly given his attributes (good engine etc) right back probably seems a good fit for him.

One thing that could make him think is the chance of a recall to the Scotland squad, much easier to be looked at playing well here.
HIs chances of playing for Scotland while in the US are close to zero.

In honesty I'm not sure that's actually the case. Jonny Russell's been regularly called up for the Scotland squad while he's been playing at MLS level. If he's playing well I'd say he's as much chance of getting a call up in MLS as he does in League 1.

On the salary stuff, it's worth noting that Sam Nicholson (who moved to MLS from Hearts) is on something like $300k basic, Danny Wilson (formerly of Hearts & Rangers) $500k basic both of whom are at Colorado Rapids and Jonny Russell is on over $1.7m with Sporting Kansas City. Also Cadden's former Motherwell team-mate Andy Rose is playing with Vancouver and on $200k basic (all of those figures are as of June 2019).

Gary Mackay Steven moved from Aberdeen to New York City earlier this year but I'm not sure his salary has been published (I'd imagine it'd be decent though).

Either way all of those figures are several multiples of what Motherwell would have been offering him so if Columbus' offer is vaguely comparable it's not really too much of a surprise he'd take that option. How it fits in comparison to an Oxford or League 1 salary I don't know.

All the best for the season. I hope Cadden and Gorrin do you a decent turn. Happily we're sitting 3rd in the league at the moment so don't seem to be missing either too much just now.

Hello again. I posted on here a while back around the time you signed (or were about to announce) Cadden so thought I'd drop in and see how he's been doing for you chaps and noticed this thread.

Having kept half an eye on Oxford's results it seems like you've hit a decent bit of form and Cadden's been playing right back? The general feeling around him was that he'd kind of stagnated with Motherwell and that a move was definitely needed for his career. Has he improved any? He'd played on and off at right back with us but never had anything like a consistent run in the side there.

He'd not been helped by being asked to play as a wing back where he was fine but it just didn't really get the best from him that we'd seen playing as a straightforward right mid and also he struggled to find a natural position in the shape we played in so much as neither 352 or 433 suited him as a midfielder or forward. He wasn't technical enough to play as a central midfielder and not creative enough to play as a winger so oddly given his attributes (good engine etc) right back probably seems a good fit for him.

In honesty I'm not sure that's actually the case. Jonny Russell's been regularly called up for the Scotland squad while he's been playing at MLS level. If he's playing well I'd say he's as much chance of getting a call up in MLS as he does in League 1.

On the salary stuff, it's worth noting that Sam Nicholson (who moved to MLS from Hearts) is on something like $300k basic, Danny Wilson (formerly of Hearts & Rangers) $500k basic both of whom are at Colorado Rapids and Jonny Russell is on over $1.7m with Sporting Kansas City. Also Cadden's former Motherwell team-mate Andy Rose is playing with Vancouver and on $200k basic (all of those figures are as of June 2019).

Gary Mackay Steven moved from Aberdeen to New York City earlier this year but I'm not sure his salary has been published (I'd imagine it'd be decent though).

Either way all of those figures are several multiples of what Motherwell would have been offering him so if Columbus' offer is vaguely comparable it's not really too much of a surprise he'd take that option. How it fits in comparison to an Oxford or League 1 salary I don't know.

All the best for the season. I hope Cadden and Gorrin do you a decent turn. Happily we're sitting 3rd in the league at the moment so don't seem to be missing either too much just now.

Now, he has settled in and fitted into the team, he has done well at right back. He has struck up a really good partnership with James Henry who is an intelligent player on the right hand side. Early on in the season, he was bombing forward a lot but he has reined that in a bit which has seen his overall performances improved (defensively and going forward). His crossing also looked a bit wayward at the start but that may have been down to not having a poacher as a striker taking those positions so with Matty Taylor now signed and playing that is likely to change with assists increasing.

Others may have a different view, of course.

Back
Top Bottom