Chris Cadden

It was formally a season long loan, with a Jnauary break clause. But the head honcho at the American club said at the time, on their website that he would be here until it was time for their preseason (January onwards). I've posted the link to that statement on here before if you want to look for it.
Ok thanks, I still think Cadden has made a mistake signing for the Spams

I went to Atlanta 10 years ago. Insect ridden city with no real history. If you like the war of independence fair enough. The odd drive by shooting and Trump into the bargain. Not for me I am afraid.

Going to Atlanta and saying that the US is not for you as a result, would be like someone going to Luton and deciding that Britain was a hole as a result! Yes, it may be true that the US isn't the country for you, but you'd need to see a bit more of the country than Atlanta to make an informed choice!

I have some UK colleagues who moved to Florida - their verdict is Hurricanes bad, property prices good, jobs and salary good, weather mostly good, insects, ok, work culture iffy, general life really good. All in, better than living in small house in the south of England with a large mortgage, and near enough to the UK to make coming home easy.

The bonus is getting up on a saturday and watching the Premier League and EFL all day from the air conditioned lounge or pool side!

You can be let go in a week, no redundancy process, just a case if we'd like you to leave in a week. Plus maternity/paternity leave is a bit basic. Not show stoppers, but you have to adjust from a generous UK. It's different in California but they can still let you go.

But some taxes are way lower than over here

Oh and the other thing. DMV lines, apparently they are awful, especially if you don't like queuing in hot public buildings with smelly people.

Whereas that is probably mostly all fair.
Other than the fact that I've found most of Florida to be soulless and depressing, and reckon there's at least 40 other states I'd rather live in!
Oh, and the DMV nearest me is cool, efficient and mostly empty!

I think all we can ask for is for Cadden to help to put us into a good position in the table come January. Then if he does leave, then at least we can attract someone else to come in on loan for the rest of the season who would look to have a promotion on their CV, just like when Kenny came in for Baldock.

We won't be able to get what's best for us if other clubs won't deal with us.

There’s no possible outcome in the Chris Cadden scenario which would result in other clubs not dealing with us.

Alex Ferguson famously said ‘I wouldn’t sell them a virus’ talking about Real Madrid but Ronaldo still went there. Money talks and teams will sell players to the highest bidder or buy the players they think will improve their team, over any other considerations.

Why would you care if him staying meant us getting promotion?

Never been a fan of "win at any cost" attitude.

If we do business in an underhand way, we can expect that karma will bite us back in the future. There will always be a bigger club, who can do the same to us. Bit of an old school attitude I have, admittedly, but I'd rather conduct our business in an honorable way. Appreciate I am probably in the minority with that view.

Never been a fan of "win at any cost" attitude.

If we do business in an underhand way, we can expect that karma will bite us back in the future. There will always be a bigger club, who can do the same to us. Bit of an old school attitude I have, admittedly, but I'd rather conduct our business in an honorable way. Appreciate I am probably in the minority with that view.

The club was very careful not to be seen to be doing dodgy deals throughout the summer, and had to do a lot of smoothing over after Matty Taylor was pictured at the Peterborough game. And in that regard I do not believe that we have deliberately tried to rob Motherwell out of £200k. We made the bid and was committed to paying the agreed compensation before Cadden signed in the US. Knowing that he couldn't play until March 2020 we then jumped on the option of a loan deal. However, if that situation has changed and we can get him on a permanent deal then we should definitely explore it, although I'd be amazed if that happened without us having to pay a fee. So I'm not sure that we'll saving anything and would have preferred to do the deal directly with Motherwell in the summer.

I've no idea what League 1 wages are like but that link to Columbus Crew guaranteed wages sounds like Cadden will be on a fair wedge if he is in their first team. Anyone like to speculate whether that is more or less that what he is on here - ie what does football manager say a league 1 defender gets paid?

I've no idea what League 1 wages are like but that link to Columbus Crew guaranteed wages sounds like Cadden will be on a fair wedge if he is in their first team. Anyone like to speculate whether that is more or less that what he is on here - ie what does football manager say a league 1 defender gets paid?

Just seen this advert which might help re: wages. (Looks like Bolton to me. Weird to see it advertised as well!)
F12DE2CC-A4E8-4D59-BEA7-F8FFD136F389.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Ian
I'd quite like us like to not get a reputation for being a scumbag club that deals in an underhanded way. I hope Motherwell get what they are owed, whoever it comes from.
Yet we offered them alot of money and they turned it down ?‍♂️?‍♂️

I go to Columbus yearly and if he’s on £200,000+ per year there he’d live like a king. A four bedroom house with a double garage and a big garden costs no more than a year’s wages on that basis.

Still not quite sure why Columbus would do anything other than stick to their guns.

I mean they signed him over the summer to be a part of their squad for the 2020 season.
They presumably did a ton of scouting and recruiting work on him to decide he was a good fit, and persuade him to join the club.

He's now come to Oxford, played really well and proven that he's an excellent player at League One level.....which is probably roughly equivalent to MLS (albeit a very different style of play).

So why exactly do we, or Karl, think they would be willing for their player not to play for them next year?

I agree with this ^^. The only additional factor is what Mr Cadden thinks. If he has got cold feet about emigrating, that might change things.

I for one will enjoy him while he is here and either move on when he has gone or continue to support him. My allegiance has always been and will continue to be support my club first and those that are associated with it in whatever form.
Having said all that I'd like him to stay..........

One key factor here as I’ve been told - Isn’t Zaki involved or was involved with Crew, could this have been on the cards from day1?

Back
Top Bottom