Chris Cadden

Now, he has settled in and fitted into the team, he has done well at right back. He has struck up a really good partnership with James Henry who is an intelligent player on the right hand side. Early on in the season, he was bombing forward a lot but he has reined that in a bit which has seen his overall performances improved (defensively and going forward). His crossing also looked a bit wayward at the start but that may have been down to not having a poacher as a striker taking those positions so with Matty Taylor now signed and playing that is likely to change with assists increasing.

Others may have a different view, of course.
you fairer say can't
can't fairer say that
that say fairer can't

you can't say fairer than that ?

I lived in Ohio in 2010/2011. I couldn’t get out quick enough. It’s a backwater with very little going on. Luckily within six months I’d got a transfer through work to Chicago, which was much more palatable. I was a little older than Cadden when I moved to Ohio (24) and found the state to be rather dull.

Columbus is just another bland mid western city. It’s not particularly exciting and there’s not huge amounts going on. If he were moving to LA, New York, Chicago, or even Houston, I could understand, but Ohio is a mainly rural state and rather inward looking.

The best description I could give of Columbus; forgettable.

Last edited:
I lived in Ohio in 2010/2011. I couldn’t get out quick enough. It’s a backwater with very little going on. Luckily within six months I’d got a transfer through work to Chicago, which was much more palatable. I was a little older than Cadden when I moved to Ohio (24) and found the state to be rather dull.

Columbus is just another bland mid western city. It’s not particularly exciting and there’s not huge amounts going on. If he were moving to LA, New York, Chicago, or even Houston, I could understand, but Ohio is a mainly rural state and rather inward looking.

Columbus, bland and forgettable

or

Bicester!!!

I'm beginning to feel sorry for the fella and I live in Bicester!!!!

You’re right. Bicester is clearly the place to be. It’s got a Wimpy and about a dozen barbers!

Now, he has settled in and fitted into the team, he has done well at right back. He has struck up a really good partnership with James Henry who is an intelligent player on the right hand side. Early on in the season, he was bombing forward a lot but he has reined that in a bit which has seen his overall performances improved (defensively and going forward). His crossing also looked a bit wayward at the start but that may have been down to not having a poacher as a striker taking those positions so with Matty Taylor now signed and playing that is likely to change with assists increasing.

Others may have a different view, of course.

Cheers for the reply.

I'm pleased to hear he's fitted into the team. As I alluded to he had kind of hit a point with us where he'd plateaued and despite being committed also seemed to have lost his way. He had gone from a player who we were rating at £1m (when we knocked back Appleton's offer a few years ago) to someone who we didn't seem to know what his best position was. He was part of our team that reached 2 cup finals and a comfortable mid-table finish that season and the result was record turnover and record profit so keeping him around had its value in that respect.

I noticed a post on here talking about him potentially being a Championship level player - that's what we thought as well.

Aside from a stall in form after his breakthrough season his issue last season was that he picked up a serious injury in our 7-1 loss to Rangers in November. He admitted himself that he felt the injury but decided to play on and presumably aggravated it (so not only were we down to 10 men at the time we were unknowingly carrying a severely injured player - cheers for that Chris). His contract was up at the end of the season and he missed around 4 months with a knee injury, training compensation would have meant he'd have cost a certain level of club around £500k-£600k so given the relative lack of form, a recent serious injury and a relatively high price bracket in training compensation it's not a huge surprise his options were limited (through no real fault of his own).

Our fan produced podcast had an interview with our assistant manager that went up last night and he talks a bit about Cadden. The gist is that while we were keen to keep him he simply wanted a change of scene. Which is totally understandable.

In honesty his crossing has always been a weak point. Overhit, under-hit or simply shanked out the park, there were probably plenty fans sitting in the Cooper stand behind the goal who were quietly pleased to see him go if it meant not getting scudded by his wayward crosses. His plus points always centred on his dynamism, energy and his ability to get up and down the park so the knock on was that he often lacked a bit of composure. If he could take a beat and get his head up he'd be on his way to being a far more rounded player.

Having said that, the Scottish Fitba' Advanced Stats guys always used to look favourably on him when it came to chance creation so hopefully the move will see him develop a bit further and you guys can get the best out him - there's definitely the potential for a very decent player there.

You’re right. Bicester is clearly the place to be. It’s got a Wimpy and about a dozen barbers!

Not only that, but also a cracking Tesco and a new Harvesters!

In all seriousness though, within 45 mins he’s got London, Oxford and Bedford(!) on his doorstep! In Ohio within 45 mins he would have corn field A, corn field B or if you really want to mix it up, wheat field A. Bob Evans do a good breakfast though!

Cheers for the reply.

I'm pleased to hear he's fitted into the team. As I alluded to he had kind of hit a point with us where he'd plateaued and despite being committed also seemed to have lost his way. He had gone from a player who we were rating at £1m (when we knocked back Appleton's offer a few years ago) to someone who we didn't seem to know what his best position was. He was part of our team that reached 2 cup finals and a comfortable mid-table finish that season and the result was record turnover and record profit so keeping him around had its value in that respect.

I noticed a post on here talking about him potentially being a Championship level player - that's what we thought as well.

Aside from a stall in form after his breakthrough season his issue last season was that he picked up a serious injury in our 7-1 loss to Rangers in November. He admitted himself that he felt the injury but decided to play on and presumably aggravated it (so not only were we down to 10 men at the time we were unknowingly carrying a severely injured player - cheers for that Chris). His contract was up at the end of the season and he missed around 4 months with a knee injury, training compensation would have meant he'd have cost a certain level of club around £500k-£600k so given the relative lack of form, a recent serious injury and a relatively high price bracket in training compensation it's not a huge surprise his options were limited (through no real fault of his own).

Our fan produced podcast had an interview with our assistant manager that went up last night and he talks a bit about Cadden. The gist is that while we were keen to keep him he simply wanted a change of scene. Which is totally understandable.

In honesty his crossing has always been a weak point. Overhit, under-hit or simply shanked out the park, there were probably plenty fans sitting in the Cooper stand behind the goal who were quietly pleased to see him go if it meant not getting scudded by his wayward crosses. His plus points always centred on his dynamism, energy and his ability to get up and down the park so the knock on was that he often lacked a bit of composure. If he could take a beat and get his head up he'd be on his way to being a far more rounded player.

Having said that, the Scottish Fitba' Advanced Stats guys always used to look favourably on him when it came to chance creation so hopefully the move will see him develop a bit further and you guys can get the best out him - there's definitely the potential for a very decent player there.
Great to hear the views of a fan of The Wire.

Update on Cadden situation , OM link ....

Sounds like he genuinely enjoys playing here and is a good presence on and off the pitch. Really like his comments about Long.

If the deal is for the whole year, why wouldn't he want to stay? I know he says it's out of his hands, but surely he has a big say in what happens. We're having a special season (on the second longest unbeaten run in English football after Liverpool I heard today, wild) and I'm sure all the players are loving being a part of it.

If the deal is for the whole year, why wouldn't he want to stay?
Because (presumably) he has committed to a long-term deal with another club? And they'll want him for pre-season. Maybe we could get them to leave him with us until the end of January rather than him disappearing after Christmas. That would be another five league games (plus maybe some cup ones as well).

Much as I'd love him to stay for the whole season, I just don't think it will happen. Would be delighted to be wrong.

Because (presumably) he has committed to a long-term deal with another club? And they'll want him for pre-season. Maybe we could get them to leave him with us until the end of January rather than him disappearing after Christmas. That would be another five league games (plus maybe some cup ones as well).

Much as I'd love him to stay for the whole season, I just don't think it will happen. Would be delighted to be wrong.

I think the thing that may swing it is the roster limits in the MLS. Not sure where Columbus Crew are currently with free slots (the handy wikipedia page hasn't been updated since May). Like all things in US sports they are tradeable between teams, in May they only had 5, but seem to have been buying them back from other teams since then.

Sounds like he genuinely enjoys playing here and is a good presence on and off the pitch. Really like his comments about Long.

If the deal is for the whole year, why wouldn't he want to stay? I know he says it's out of his hands, but surely he has a big say in what happens. We're having a special season (on the second longest unbeaten run in English football after Liverpool I heard today, wild) and I'm sure all the players are loving being a part of it.

I mean, the fact is he's under contract to Columbus Crew.

He may 100% want to stay in Oxford, but that doesn't mean he can just choose to.
He would have to persuade the club that employs him to let him go. Columbus are the ones with the power in this matter.

I mean, the fact is he's under contract to Columbus Crew.

He may 100% want to stay in Oxford, but that doesn't mean he can just choose to.
He would have to persuade the club that employs him to let him go. Columbus are the ones with the power in this matter.
No he can’t chose where he should be, and as you said Columbus Crew hold his registration.
Having said that that’s why there such thing ls as manager who will do the negotiation.

No he can’t chose where he should be, and as you said Columbus Crew hold his registration.
Having said that that’s why there such thing ls as manager who will do the negotiation.

And Columbus may agree to terms, or they may say 'We've seen what a good player he is, no thanks - we'll keep him'.

MLS teams do have significantly more money than we do.......

Whilst additions in January would be nice, I'd be more than happy if the only business we did in January was to get Taylor on a permanent deal, hold on to all our players, and ensure we keep Cadden until at least the end of the season.

If it so happened that we could only do those three things, I would consider it a great January transfer window.

Fingers crossed!

In case it's of interest there's a short VT piece with Cadden talking about mental wellness on this week's episode of A View From The Terrace on the BBC Scotland channel.

It's up on iPlayer at the moment (the Cadden bit starts at around 37 mins if you've no interest in watching folk talking about Scottish Fitba'):

Back
Top Bottom