Chris Wilder

S

Shropshire U

Fair play to Wilder for Sheffield United's promotion to the Premiership (pretty much definite now).
I know he's not our most popular ex-manager but it's a genuine footballing achievement, and not done on a big budget either.
I'm not a great statto but a skim through the records shows that if we set 200 games in management as a base line, Wilder is the most successful UK-born manager currently working across the top 4 leagues. Much more successful than a lot of big names.
Sheff Utd is obviously his first love as well, which makes it extra satisfying.
Enough time has gone by for us to give the man a sincere 'well done', and I hope he keeps them up next season.

What he has achieved is remarkable and he does deserve congratulations. In truth I don’t actually think getting Oxford out of the Conference, or Sheff Utd out of League One (given the budget at his disposal and players he had) are astonishing feats of unparalleled managerial genius

But to get that Northampton team to the top of the league ahead of an outstanding (Best in League 2 ??) Oxford side was. And getting Sheff Utd to the PL (if it happens, it’s not quite done and dusted) is spectacular. To have a complete set of English domestic promotions on his CV is testament to his work ethic and ability. The fact that he’s achieved something so substantial with the club he obviously loves makes it very special (for him)

He stirs some anger amongst the Oxford fan base, but for the most part I’m fairly neutral. As much as the Conference was hell, and that Wembley play-off final was as nervous as I’ve ever felt watching a football match...that promotion season was a brilliant time to support this club. The day out at Wembley was an incredible collective emotional experience that I’ll never forget. Oh, and those two backs-to-the-wall wins over Di Canio’s Swindon were incredibly fun. He has my gratitude for those accomplishments.

My own view is that he stayed too long, and acted like an absolute tit when managing his exit strategy. I’m sure he’d point to a lack of job security and Leneghan only giving him a (rolling?) 1 year deal...but he was a tit. Hiding in his office, vanishing after his last game then claiming he wasn’t resigning even whilst basically pulling up in another team’s car park was as farcical as anything I can remember.

At the time I felt like it was his time to go and I had largely positive feelings towards his spell with us (dismissive comments about our history and all). It’s only since then, and the totally ungrateful and classless way he’s approached the club every time he’s come up against us that have rubbed me the wrong way.

Well done to him. For getting us out of the Conference and for ending the County Ground jinx he has my gratitude. Doesn’t mean I think he’s a top bloke though. And I suspect getting them into the PL will effectively spell the end of his time at the club he loves when they get blinded by the bottomless riches of the top division and sack him when they struggle in the bottom reaches of it...

I’ll always remember him fondly for getting us out of the hellhole that was the Conference.
Memorable games and grinding out victories with little help finance wise.
To take Northampton up as champions was an incredible feat. Sheffield United made the best choice there.
You could be right that he might fall on his sword in the premiership. I really hope not.
I can still recall Ian Porterfield leaving Rotherham in the Second Division and making the short trip to Fourth Division Sheffield United. He took them up twice in following seasons to the Second Division. They finished eighth in their first season. Not good enough, he was sacked.
I just hope the Blades reflect on that poor decision and give Wilder the same chances that Burnley and WBA have to their managers to establish a good team in the best leagues in England.
Mind you, it would be funny if we beat them in the third round of the FA Cup next season at Oxford

Lots of rumours that Sunderland approached him for their manager vacancy last year. Certainly made the right choice in staying at the Blades.

I think the only reason anyone can look back on the Conference years with much affection is because they are over! Individual days (especially the Wembley final) were enjoyable, but the experience as a whole was certainly not (for me at least).

I think the only reason anyone can look back on the Conference years with much affection is because they are over! Individual days (especially the Wembley final) were enjoyable, but the experience as a whole was certainly not (for me at least).
Agree.
Had a nice, very long weekend in Portland(Weymouth) in August for good memories. Even if the game itself was a bit of a scrappy draw.

Me too. I got my first st in that poxy league. There definitely was a camaraderie in those days which seems to have been slightly lost in recent seasons.

I don't think you're in a small minority! I still feel very nostalgic about the 'wilderness years', which doesn't mean I'd swap our current position for tier five again.

I think we felt a mix of anticipation at visiting new grounds and new towns (some without mainline stations) and, let's face it, the rather arrogant feeling that we wouldn't be there for long.

Strange first season. I think we were unbeaten in our first 17 games but it felt like a false position as our team was not that great and our performances often lack lustre.

Still enjoyable going to places like Stafford and Histon and Salisbury, often outnumbering home fans and feeling like the big boys in a small pond.

I didn’t go to many away games before the 2006/7 season but there was something special about going to old grounds with terraces and when the ultras could get away with a few smoke bombs.
Some of my favourites
Weymouth bank holiday
FGR first away game when they had to let the home fans out first. Also when the lights went out.
AFC Sudbury and the air raid siren.
Eastbourne in a windy cup replay and Murray scoring direct from a corner.
Dumps like Stafford and Kettering.
Changing ends at half time at a cup game. Can’t remember where.

I regret not ticking off a few grounds too.

It did make me smile when he said on Sky "we are currently the second best team in the division, if we win and results go our way we may finish up the best", he can't let that go can he ?

Amazing achievement though, hats off to him.

What Wilder has done in the past is irrelevant. His past history of getting promotions is exactly that, history and counts for nothing. Well done for getting Sheffield Utd up on a fairly modest budget for that league this season.

I think he will be gone by Christmas.

Happy for Baldock and Lundstam. Will be interesting to see if they can hack it in the prem. Do we get any extra cash for Lundstram re their promotion? We had some clause in the Roofe deal didnt we based on promotion?

What Wilder has done in the past is irrelevant. His past history of getting promotions is exactly that, history and counts for nothing. Well done for getting Sheffield Utd up on a fairly modest budget for that league this season.

I think he will be gone by Christmas.
If he is that would be shocking by the Sheff United Board.

If he is that would be shocking by the Sheff United Board.

Wilder isn’t stupid. He will leave before he gets pushed if things are going badly.
He will have to spend a fair wack on players if he is to get them to stay up next season.

Back
Top Bottom