National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

Rather a lot.
One was removed by the electorate democratically and things got a bit "American".
The other was removed by the actions of a very small group of dissenters despite having the support of the electorate.
Some of the electorate, but his supporters seem to think everyone supports him. Bit like Trump then 🤷‍♂️

Polls suggest very differently and so did the by-elections.

Some of the electorate, but his supporters seem to think everyone supports him. Bit like Trump then 🤷‍♂️

Our system is what it is .................. 71 seat majority.
Mid-term by-elections, and the reasons behind them, are rarely great barometers.
2 years can be a long time in politics.

Our system is what it is .................. 71 seat majority.
Mid-term by-elections, and the reasons behind them, are rarely great barometers.
2 years can be a long time in politics.

You are the one who claimed him having the support of the electorate which would mean the present which the polls and by-elections contradict. The reasons for the by-election defeats for the Tories in previously very safe seats were very clear as the voters in them said in polls and in the actual vote itself with BloJo was front and centre.

Rather a lot.
One was removed by the electorate democratically and things got a bit "American".
The other was removed by the actions of a very small group of dissenters despite having the support of the electorate.
Would you honestly have been ok with a politician you didn’t like, riding roughshod over our parliamentary system in the way Johnson has?
The man is unfit for public office. That should be enough to see him ejected from the job.
Standards matter.

You are the one who claimed him having the support of the electorate which would mean the present which the polls and by-elections contradict. The reasons for the by-election defeats for the Tories in previously very safe seats were very clear as the voters in them said in polls and in the actual vote itself with BloJo was front and centre.

When it comes to actually voting roughly 4 million voters across the entire country "hold the balance" thanks to FPTP
We don’t vote to elect a prime minister though do we?

You may not vote to elect a PM but some of us do.

Would you honestly have been ok with a politician you didn’t like, riding roughshod over our parliamentary system in the way Johnson has?
The man is unfit for public office. That should be enough to see him ejected from the job.
Standards matter.

Yes standards do matter, however people will always push the boundaries to get things done in the way they wish. That is the nature of politics.

When it comes to actually voting roughly 4 million voters across the entire country "hold the balance" thanks to FPTP

Yes standards do matter, however people will always push the boundaries to get things done in the way they wish. That is the nature of politics.
You love Boris...we get it, but this last statement is laughable.

In your book, anything goes so long as a) they get the job done and b) they don't get caught

I think we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief that you aren't within a million miles of writing any standards in public life.

And the fact you and millions like you go all shruggy shouldered and say "that is the nature of politics" is precisely WHY politics is in the mess it is!

As someone might've already mentioned - standards DO matter.

Doesn’t matter what you think you are voting for, there was nothing wrong under the system with what the conservative MPs did. He can always set up his own party and try and get back that way.

You love Boris...we get it, but this last statement is laughable.

In your book, anything goes so long as a) they get the job done and b) they don't get caught

I think we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief that you aren't within a million miles of writing any standards in public life.

And the fact you and millions like you go all shruggy shouldered and say "that is the nature of politics" is precisely WHY politics is in the mess it is!

As someone might've already mentioned - standards DO matter.

Show me a Prime Minister that has not pushed the boundaries at some stage?
Sometimes it is the only way to make progress rather than sitting twiddling your thumbs, much like the current situation!

Defining "getting caught" is also subjective.
Remember all those High Court/Court of Session judges that initially called the prorogation of Parliament "political" rather than unlawful?
It was the Advocate General for Scotland that carried on the legal challenge until the "right" verdict was delivered.

Now who was right & when is a moot point - you will take one side and I would take the other - but the job in hand was done.

Politics is in a mess because those in charge have little connection with the people they serve and, invariably, look after themselves first and last.

Sometimes it is the only way to make progress rather than sitting twiddling your thumbs, much like the current situation!

Remember all those High Court/Court of Session judges that initially called the prorogation of Parliament "political" rather than unlawful?
It was the Advocate General for Scotland that carried on the legal challenge until the "right" verdict was delivered.

Now who was right & when is a moot point - you will take one side and I would take the other - but the job in hand was done.

Politics is in a mess because those in charge have little connection with the people they serve and, invariably, look after themselves first and last.
But Johnson “got things done” by simply kicking any problems down the road for someone else to deal with, rather than making an attempt to solve them himself. Particularly in regards to Brexit.
That’s not the case of his predecessors. In fact, it was the attempting to solve the problems and realities of Brexit that led to May’s downfall.

Progress for whom?
Their paymasters, usually. Not the people who elected them to do the job.

Which yet again underlines why standards and impartiality in public office and the responsible governance of them are so, so important.

The current government have turned running roughshod over anything they don't agree with into an art form.

That doesn't answer my point in anyway. Voters in very safe seats turned their back on the Tories in the by-elections and one of the reasons was very much BloJo.

Pushing the boundaries to become the first and only PM to be fined for breaking the law you mean? The man is a charlatan. Other PMs may have 'pushed boundaries' and stuck to their convictions, but then there's BoJo whose raison d'etre is built on hoodwinking the foolish into thinking he 'got Brexit done' and that he's a character by having ruffled hair, a bumbling persona and can parrot digestable sound bites enough times so that Maureen in Stoke can repeat them too.

The irony here is that if the opposition were 'pushing the boundaries', you'd be setting up a sneery thread to disparage them for it ...

I can't believe that there are still Conservative voters out there who think BoJo is still somehow the answer.

Pushing the boundaries to become the first and only PM to be fined for breaking the law you mean? The man is a charlatan. Other PMs may have 'pushed boundaries' and stuck to their convictions, but then there's BoJo whose raison d'etre is built on hoodwinking the foolish into thinking he 'got Brexit done' and that he's a character by having ruffled hair, a bumbling persona and can parrot digestable sound bites enough times so that Maureen in Stoke can repeat them too.

The irony here is that if the opposition were 'pushing the boundaries', you'd be setting up a sneery thread to disparage them for it ...

I can't believe that there are still Conservative voters out there who think BoJo is still somehow the answer.

Sadly I can.

Back
Top Bottom