National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

Pete, I was clear that I was being very sarcastic and for your own reasons, you have read significantly more into it than was there. The problem is yours. Again.
Thank you for responding. Now I've (finally) got your attention again I can start playing the ball again, rather than the man.

You may have been exercising your sarcasm on this occasion, but your words and tone are familiar. Perhaps you could indicate when we should distinguish between sarcasm and the opinions you really hold?

To be frank it made it difficult to read!

As an example.......... anyone booking a holiday in a GLOBAL pandemic might reasonably expect some potential disruption!
Of course "entitled" types think it won`t happen to them, but then whine like a hungry baby when the rules change.

Illegal migrants in boats.............. simple solution........ collect them up, fill a ferry & send them back to France. It`s safe and they have entered illegally the clue is in illegal.

I could go on .....

When did you join the Greek Navy/Coastguard? ;)

The Greek efforts seem far more cost effective than your blunter version. Harsh for those just trying to better their lives.
Yeah...just not allowed to do it in "are cuntry" though.

What do you take us for....compassionate human beings with some semblance of moral compass???....good lord!

Yeah...just not allowed to do it in "are cuntry" though.

What do you take us for....compassionate human beings with some semblance of moral compass???....good lord!

Again you make the incorrect assumption.
There is a perfectly legal route to enter the UK as a migrant which I fully support.
I do not support those who choose to enter illegally and we need to be far more robust in dealing with the illegal aspect.
As much to save the victims of people trafficking as anything else.
We know that it often leads to modern slavery but, hey, as long as you can get your car washed for £10 eh?

For those quoting Greece as a way to deal with the issue I`m guessing you don`t mean like this just 5 months ago?

Talking of Greece and with a very tenuous link to the Classical World, I can only assume that Boris is ok with Dido Harding's appointment on the basis that he likes a bit of Latin and she shares her name with a tragic figure in Virgil's Aeneid (Book 4 for those who've forgotten). Perhaps he sees himself as Aeneas? I wonder if modern-day Dido will be as tragic as her classical namesake, certainly she has been to date.......

This is a good summary of the position from an industry expert:

A personal view on the appointment from Richard Holway
Dido Harding
It has just been confirmed that Dido Harding will head up HMGovt’s National Institute for Health Protection which will merge Public Health England and the C-19 Test and Trace System (see PHE abolished in public health restructure). The appointment is said to be on an interim basis.
I do find this appointment hard to justify. I have always worked on the basis that appointments were made based on expertise on the subject and/or past records of success. Seems the opposite is the case.
I’ve been a TalkTalk/Tiscali user for 20 Years. I was also a shareholder. Any trawl through the HotViews archives will demonstrate my disapproval of the way Dido Harding managed TalkTalk which consistently ranked worse amongst the ISPs for customer service during her tenure. But, in particular, the way she handled, back in 2015, one of the most serious cyber attacks to hit a UK company. See TalkTalk cyber attack - Update. Although the Sept 2015 was the 3rd attack on TalkTalk, when Dido Harding was asked ‘Was the data encrypted?’ she said she didn’t know. I described it at the time as ‘an object lesson in how NOT to handle a crisis’.
157,000 customers records were affected. It cost TalkTalk £60m to sort, including a record £400K fine from the Information Commissioner, and 95,000 customers left for other broadband suppliers. In May 2015, just before the attack, TalkTalk shares had hit 400p. In Feb 17, Harding announced that she was stepping down. See Harding quits. Dunstone returns to Exec role at TalkTalk. By then TalkTalk shares had slumped to 175p.
Later in 2017, Harding was appointed Chair at NHS Improvement.
Then in May 20, Matt Hancock put Harding in charge of Track, Test and Trace. He said at the time ‘I can’t think of anyone better suited to this role than Dido...’
I have to admit I nearly fell off my chair when I heard this and the press conference when our PM also eulogised about ‘Dido’. If Harding couldn’t keep a relatively small number of records of TalkTalk customers secure, why put her in charge of a data gathering exercise affecting tens of millions of citizens of the UK? Why put a person described by the media as ‘naïve’ when it came to understanding the complexities of modern IT systems, in charge of one of the most vital ‘life or death’ systems of the modern era?
Harding recruited 25,000 contact tracers saying ‘“If anything I’m worried that many of my brilliant contact tracers are not going to be very busy as we start to encourage more people to get a test.” She said there were “easily enough to trace down the contacts ...’
So many column inches have been written on the failure of England’s so called ‘World beating Track and Trace system’. I won’t repeat them here.
I rather agree with Munira Wilson, the Lib Dem’s Health spokesperson, who said of the appointment ‘We need to ensure we get the best people for the job rather than focus on promoting yet another Tory insider’. Justin Madders, Labour's Health spokesperson, added 'I'm speechless. Appointed to a body that hasn't been created yet without an interview and with a track record like that; absolutely no transparency or accountability'. Source - Financial Times.
This really is ‘Life or Death’ stuff now. It should be led by someone with real expertise in the field and an unblemished management track record. Harding has neither.

Now, not sure if I've got this right, but surely the fact Matt Hancock's pal Dido Harding was chosen by him to head up the new health institute despite having no expertise and having failed on track and trace will be of great interest to Boris' 'Anti-Corruption Champion' who is .... Dido Harding's husband?

Cynical people might find the whole thing distasteful. Thankfully for Boris et al, 99.9% of the population are unaware / don't give a toss.

Again you make the incorrect assumption.
There is a perfectly legal route to enter the UK as a migrant which I fully support.
I do not support those who choose to enter illegally and we need to be far more robust in dealing with the illegal aspect.
As much to save the victims of people trafficking as anything else.
We know that it often leads to modern slavery but, hey, as long as you can get your car washed for £10 eh?

For those quoting Greece as a way to deal with the issue I`m guessing you don`t mean like this just 5 months ago?

You can almost see it happening - we create new detention centres for the thousands of people crossing the channel over the next 12 months. We house the migrants whilst we attempt to determine who they are and what to do with them. They get frustrated and riot, set fire to the place and start stabbing eachother. Southerners and students get upset on their behalf and drive to Kent to protest the "inhumanity of the camps" and Labour get involved, Jess Philips and Lisa Nandy have a cry in the Commons about it, and we have to respond by giving Visas and releasing them all into the country.

What happens next is entirely predictable. The BBC pick some of the few children present to interview and coo over, to quell the anger of the general public. One will stab a bunch of people in an English city. The rest will disappear and live miserable lives as modern slaves.

The country inches another step towards the right.

Now, not sure if I've got this right, but surely the fact Matt Hancock's pal Dido Harding was chosen by him to head up the new health institute despite having no expertise and having failed on track and trace will be of great interest to Boris' 'Anti-Corruption Champion' who is .... Dido Harding's husband?

Cynical people might find the whole thing distasteful. Thankfully for Boris et al, 99.9% of the population are unaware / don't give a toss.
Im one of those cynical people you speak of @Pete Burrett ... and the term distasteful is ,IMO, rather understating the way I find this latest of many outrage' from this Government, with an always absent PM :mad:

You can almost see it happening - we create new detention centres for the thousands of people crossing the channel over the next 12 months. We house the migrants whilst we attempt to determine who they are and what to do with them. They get frustrated and riot, set fire to the place and start stabbing eachother. Southerners and students get upset on their behalf and drive to Kent to protest the "inhumanity of the camps" and Labour get involved, Jess Philips and Lisa Nandy have a cry in the Commons about it, and we have to respond by giving Visas and releasing them all into the country.

What happens next is entirely predictable. The BBC pick some of the few children present to interview and coo over, to quell the anger of the general public. One will stab a bunch of people in an English city. The rest will disappear and live miserable lives as modern slaves.

The country inches another step towards the right.
We can house them with the likes Lily Allen, Benedict Cumberbatch and JK Rowling while they await processing. Seems only fair they help to shoulder the burden.

We can house them with the likes Lily Allen, Benedict Cumberbatch and JK Rowling while they await processing. Seems only fair they help to shoulder the burden.
didn't Gary Lineker get 'manoeuvred', after a few on-air comments, into housing some migrants at his place recently?

I suppose we should have expected the old reactionary trope 'why don't you put these people up then' as well as the pictures of helicopters and mentions of gun boats. Is it worth mentioning that JK Rowling regularly mentions the benefits support she received some years ago, pays all her tax in the UK and has donated significant amounts to various causes , including MS research, literacy and assisting single parents back into work?

The same little Nigel Farages' who want 'to take back our sovereignty'. In our small way we are responsible for a lot of these people heading toward Europe and the UK - through what we have and what we haven't done in the name of foreign policy.

I will say it again..... folk seem to have missed it.
No issue at all with legal migration through the proper channels.

Vehemently opposed to illegal entry by persons unknown, who will soon enough find themselves either in some form of modern slavery or the wrong side of the law.

Legal migration protects the very people who need it, illegal entry feeds the very thing they are fleeing.

I actually have a little bit of sympathy for the government insofar as they were in a pretty impossible position with these exam results.

Allow the teachers' predictions to stand as is, and you immediately introduce bias and favoritism into the system.
Apply an algorithm as they tried to, and now a student's grade is suddenly based not only on his or her talents, but also on the performance of kids at their school over the previous several years. Doesn't exactly seem reasonable to me for someone to have their grades dropped just because they happen to live in an area that's full of thickos! ;)

There probably wasn't a completely fair route through this problem.

But then the government eliminates any sympathy they may have been due by making every decision in the most chaotic and back-and-forth way possible.
"We believe in this decision.....oh, wait, it looks like public opinion is against us, so let's just rip up our plans and reverse course so we do whatever's most popular today"
They did exactly the same a few months ago with the covid outbreak.

I would have more respect for the government if they would actually make a decision based on the advice they were getting, and then stick to their guns if it turned out to be unpopular - even if I disagreed with that decision myself. At least then it would look as if they had some competency and principles.

But they don't. They just seem to chart the simplest and most politically expedient course through every crisis.
Unsurprising really, as they're led by a man who has always based his principles on what's going to work best for him at any given moment.

And these jokers are supposed to be leading the country through the biggest political disruption for three generations in just a matter of months? Is there anyone now who doesn't think that the implementation of Brexit is going to be a complete and utter shambles??

Back
Top Bottom