National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

The amount of seats the Lib Dems currently have is irrelevant to this discussion though, I’m not talking about them forming a coalition with Labour under the current FPPT system, I’m talking about them agreeing not to run candidates against eachother.

The Lib Dems got 11.5% of the vote last time around and so they should have 74-75 seats. Together, Labour, the Lib Dems and the Greens got 46.3% of the vote - the Tories only got 43.6%.
But why should FPTP changed? If you have an overall majority then that’s it if however you don’t but you e won the election then it’s up to the presiding government not get policies through is to convince parliament that this policy in question should be voted in favour for.

But why should FPTP changed? If you have an overall majority then that’s it if however you don’t but you e won the election then it’s up to the presiding government not get policies through is to convince parliament that this policy in question should be voted in favour for.
I don’t fully understand most of your post sorry, but FPTP should be changed as it means that the country is run by a party who the majority didn’t vote for and didn’t want.

I don’t fully understand most of your post sorry, but FPTP should be changed as it means that the country is run by a party who the majority didn’t vote for and didn’t want.
But it could back fire. You have your red wall which most were lost at the last GE ( I firmly believe it will return ) they were lost as they wanted Brexit but if proportional representation was used to define the winner it could alienate a lot of people.

But it could back fire. You have your red wall which most were lost at the last GE ( I firmly believe it will return ) they were lost as they wanted Brexit but if proportional representation was used to define the winner it could alienate a lot of people.

I was born in the early 60’s and was a teenager in n the 70’s and saw the devastation of the strikes seeing my parents row continuously because my father had to strike even though he and his colleagues didn’t want to but the communist shoo steward took his department which meant my father and his colleagues couldn’t work for almost 3 months. He had to go the the TWGU. Along with his colleagues and beg for a hand out whilst all the time the communist and his department were getting strike pay. The fact that employees were getting threats to vote the correct way but listening to my law abiding father saying to my mother that there some including my father who wanted to seriously hurt the shop steward was quite frightening for a youngish teenager.

I know things have changed to a point but I can’t forget plus Maggie looked after the military when I was in.

No political party are good they will always say things and do the opposite, if as expected SKS gets in everything will be rosey and any issues will be blamed on the Tories, but then things will happen that people won’t be happy with and again the blame game starts.

I do try to keep out of the political threads apart from reading them as sometime certain individuals can get rude. I did yesterday in reply to someone which was silly of me. But I just had to reply, but would rather leave all political stuff to those who enjoy talking about.
This explains why you would never vote communist. It doesn't explain why you wouldn't vote Lib Dems or Labour. Can you say more.

This explains why you would never vote communist. It doesn't explain why you wouldn't vote Lib Dems or Labour. Can you say more.
No I won’t period. As I’ve said political parties are elected on manifestos and then everybody thinks great but all parties are the same things will where manifestos aren’t kept to.

Harold Wilson and James Callaghan weren’t communist but they didn’t intervene when strikes like this were happening as their paymasters would not have liked interference from Labour

No I won’t period. As I’ve said political parties are elected on manifestos and then everybody thinks great but all parties are the same things will where manifestos aren’t kept to.

Harold Wilson and James Callaghan weren’t communist but they didn’t intervene when strikes like this were happening as their paymasters would not have liked interference from Labour
So just like Grant Shapps isn't intervening in the rail dispute now. 🤷‍♂️

The polling advantage is quite slim though even despite the depths being plumbed by BJ right now. This level of scandal will have to continue. And Labour will even need a larger polling advantage than at present to avoid a hung parliament.
Yes, I would be surprised if Labour won an outright majority, but I think they will have the biggest vote share, and the ability to form a coalition.

FPTP alienates a lot of peoples' vote. PR or a form of it would allow, for example Labour voters in Abingdon & Oxford West to mean something unlike now or likewise Tory voters in certain seats in Scotland.

A small but notable event where two countries historically tied to France and then gaining independence choose to join the Commonwealth.

Told you the globe was better when more of it was pink. :) 🇬🇧

This talk of three party coalitions goes a way to showing exactly what is wrong with Democracy UK - you have one side of the house shouting "This is what we'll do" and the old side yelling back "No, that's rubbish, we need to be doing this".

Imagine any company (Oxford United if it pleases) where it's management is split into two factions, one who's job is "to do" and the other with a remit to opose. There is no way any organisation can be successful with such a set up, yet that is how we expect the biggest institution in the UK to function.

From the i:

So the Govt/Johnson that are supposedly focused mostly on the cost of living crisis and this country's energy security have failed to ask EDF to keep Hinkley B open and unsurprisingly lied about it. Oh for some competence in Govt.

From the i:

So the Govt/Johnson that are supposedly focused mostly on the cost of living crisis and this country's energy security have failed to ask EDF to keep Hinkley B open and unsurprisingly lied about it. Oh for some competence in Govt.

Doesn`t take long to write a letter or send an email............ they`ll read it on here and it will be done. :)

Doesn`t take long to write a letter or send an email............ they`ll read it on here and it will be done. :)

Too late according to the EDF in that article. Obviously took too long for this Govt to try to engage their collective brain.

Back
Top Bottom