Home Match Build Up 29/12/2021 L1: OUFC v AFC Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure Stevens gets straight back in, the whole idea of building a like for like squad is that those who miss out have to earn the right to get back in. McNally, who was undroppable after a couple of outstanding performances, rightly kept Thorniley on the bench until other circumstances intervened.

I wouldn’t say Eastwood has been faultless but he’s made some big saves and looked a bit more like his old self.

I’m not sure Stevens gets straight back in, the whole idea of building a like for like squad is that those who miss out have to earn the right to get back in. McNally, who was undroppable after a couple of outstanding performances, rightly kept Thorniley on the bench until other circumstances intervened.

I wouldn’t say Eastwood has been faultless but he’s made some big saves and looked a bit more like his old self.
I could be wrong and I know he got injured later but wasn’t there a game straight after his good run where McNally was available but Thorniley came straight back in?

How’s tickets sales looking at the minute for this one @Colin B ?

Have the club said wether a covid passport or negative lateral flow test will be needed to enter. I know for the Wigan game it wasn't in force but since then Wales have banned fans and Scotland have limited to only 500. It wouldn't normally be a problem but I haven't been able to get hold of any LFT's for my son.

Have the club said wether a covid passport or negative lateral flow test will be needed to enter. I know for the Wigan game it wasn't in force but since then Wales have banned fans and Scotland have limited to only 500. It wouldn't normally be a problem but I haven't been able to get hold of any LFT's for my son.
The club announced that none of the three homes games over Christmas would be part of the new covid regulations. So Wigan (gone), Wimbledon and Cheltenham are all fine unless national regulations change again, and that's looking increasingly unlikely.

How’s tickets sales looking at the minute for this one @Colin B ?
I haven't looked at this one, but may have a quick look over the next couple of days and give an approximation. The problem with it is that, as it's not a Saturday game, normal buying patterns go out of the window, so it's difficult to forecast.

I was 88 out from my lower estimate for the number of home fans at the Wigan game, which is the third game running that I've been within 100 I think, so the dot counting algorithms seem to be working well!

Last edited:
Well if one is, the other is, and it happens one year in seven …

And it feels to me like the usual thing, when Boxing Day falls on a Sunday, is that teams play on the 28th, and likely a 3pm kickoff.
That way, every club gets a home game on a bank holiday during the Christmas period and the chance at a bumper crowd.

Playing on the 29th instead means a lot of people are back at work, and therefore they're forced to have an evening game.....and probably a smaller crowd as a result.

The Conference is playing 26th/28th, and weirdly so is the Premier League (I say weirdly, because big crowds don't really matter for them.....and they mostly get them whenever they play anyhow). It's just the Football league that's decided to go 26th/29th this year.

Lake MK Dons winner form Scott Twine who surely will be attracting attention in January.

You do wonder how much patience that the Lincoln board will have with MApp. It’s been a stinking first half of the season for them so far.

See Wimbledon have sent a letter to the FL they have made public about clubs calling off games, which is fair enough. We called off one then have managed to play 3, some clubs seem to call off the first and not even consider playing the following games, getting a bit ridiculous now especially given the resources of some clubs.

Also means they are less likely to call off Wednesday nights game, with no changes likely by then could actually get to a game over Xmas thankfully.

See Wimbledon have sent a letter to the FL they have made public about clubs calling off games, which is fair enough. We called off one then have managed to play 3, some clubs seem to call off the first and not even consider playing the following games, getting a bit ridiculous now especially given the resources of some clubs.

Also means they are less likely to call off Wednesday nights game, with no changes likely by then could actually get to a game over Xmas thankfully.
The letter that Wimbledon have sent is ultimately meaningless and won't make any difference.

They say that the lack of positive cases is not down to luck, but there is absolutely no way they can support that. The protocols they have put in place are no different than anything we have done at Oxford. We have split the under 23's and youth squads all season, test several times a week, keep players in bubbles and have done everything practical to maintain infection control should someone test positive. Yet we've had at least 3 "outbreaks" that have affected players (pre-season, Wigan away and Wigan at home).

This is impacting every club on every league as well as every other profession. Anywhere people work closely with others there is a chance of having spikes in infections, and Wimbledon will be incredibly lucky not to have their own squad affected at some point.

They ask for 5 substitutes to be used per game, which is perfectly reasonable and something most of us would agree with. But the reasoning to ask now doesn't make sense. If clubs are unable to field 13 including a keeper, or whatever the threshold is, then increasing playing squads to 18 will only lead to more games getting cancelled. And its difficult to know whether they support FA Cup replays or not.

Either way this letter will be filed under Bin at the FA and we'll carry on as before. That's not to say that I don't agree Wimbledon, but public health will always trump disgruntled football club in these situations.

6 points from the next two games will set us up nicely going into the new year get a couple of decent signings in January and who knows what could happen in 2022

I have lost track of who is and isn't available, does anyone know roughly what our fit squad is looking like at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom