Away Match Day Thread 11/12/2021 L1: MK Dons v OUFC

In defence of MK Dons and their ludicrous ‘attendance’ figures - they are a club who (perhaps through necessity) aggressively market themselves to families.

They have the space to fill and would rather have some young families/bums in seats - so at the start of every season the local media is bombarded with all kinds of promotional/season ticket offers.

It makes it a lot more economical for families to buy an ST - and then pick/choose games (whilst obviously being included in attendance figures every week).

I imagine that, if you’re from MK but you don’t support Dons - a cold, rainy Saturday a couple of weeks before Christmas against Oxford (objectively not the biggest ‘name’ in the division) yesterday may not be a game you’d be desperate to attend.

(Opens up all kinds of debate about the merits - or lack thereof - of MKD’s existence when a huge chunk of your fan base would view a relatively ‘local’ clash against rivals in the playoff place race views the game as skippable. But - speaking as someone who lived in Milton Keynes for a long time - they are a club who are extremely good at marketing to families/young kids, and/or working around the fact that a huge chunk of their prospective supporter base doesn’t actually ‘support’ MKD in any way)
I guess that’s what comes of having no history

So according to google MK dons was founded in 2004 there stadium was built in 2007 so that 14 years they’ve been at that stadium in that time they’ve had one season in the championship but the fans have never really turned up realistically they haven’t built a franchise fan base like they did the team I suppose really it’s a shame because in that time I should imagine Milton Keynes has changed quite abit with more housing so more people to branch out to

If we had 9000 at home games we would be more than happy, if we had a 20,000 - 30,000 stadium we would still only get the crowds we are getting now within reason.
They didn't get 9000 at the game.
Probably 6000 plus ST holders who rarely go ( and paid not lot for them.
Some Reading fans probably said they would still get 6000 crowds when the plastic ground was built

If we had 9000 at home games we would be more than happy, if we had a 20,000 - 30,000 stadium we would still only get the crowds we are getting now within reason.

Disagree. Our home support is higher then theirs at the 3 sided dump this season, theirs is just false figures because the amount of tickets they give away.. I would say as long as when we move in to a new stadium that we are still going forward in the leagues there is no reason why we couldn't add 3 or 4k extra fans every game instantly. We have a good core support already like Reading did but a new stadium and a better match day experience will make us able to attract families who won't attend the kassam for obvious reasons. If we all hate the kassam being proper fans what chance have we got attracting the occasional fans..get it built they will come!

As an aside, the unimaginative name they've copied from elsewhere for us on their forum is unoriginal, PoxFord. So like the club's League place, they've stolen a really crap effort at a derogatory name for us as well.

This guy is impressed with our game management and Matty Taylor is the King of Shithouses :D :

Nice to see Jamie Mackie's lessons are really having a positive effect and he must have imparted some of those to KR as well.

Lovely stuff that we are now annoying the opponents as we've been shithoused plenty in the past few seasons.

Again, amusing that they are talking about the last 10-15 minutes though when every team will do such if they can. Tbf, this author does begrudgingly praise the efforts mind and it is a decent read.

Anyway, here's to more chants of 'Boring, boring Oxford' to be chanted by opposition fans.

In defence of MK Dons and their ludicrous ‘attendance’ figures - they are a club who (perhaps through necessity) aggressively market themselves to families.

They have the space to fill and would rather have some young families/bums in seats - so at the start of every season the local media is bombarded with all kinds of promotional/season ticket offers.

It makes it a lot more economical for families to buy an ST - and then pick/choose games (whilst obviously being included in attendance figures every week).

I imagine that, if you’re from MK but you don’t support Dons - a cold, rainy Saturday a couple of weeks before Christmas against Oxford (objectively not the biggest ‘name’ in the division) yesterday may not be a game you’d be desperate to attend.

(Opens up all kinds of debate about the merits - or lack thereof - of MKD’s existence when a huge chunk of your fan base would view a relatively ‘local’ clash against rivals in the playoff place race views the game as skippable. But - speaking as someone who lived in Milton Keynes for a long time - they are a club who are extremely good at marketing to families/young kids, and/or working around the fact that a huge chunk of their prospective supporter base doesn’t actually ‘support’ MKD in any way)

Seem to have a real problem turning those free tickets into actual paying fans though. A lot of the kids who went when they first started doing it are adults now but they don’t seem to have caught the bug.

They may be a lesson in how you can devalue your tickets by giving them away to cheaply, to frequently. A few targeted games a year is alright but if people get in the habit of paying peanuts you are unlikely to convince them to pay more.

Disagree. Our home support is higher then theirs at the 3 sided dump this season, theirs is just false figures because the amount of tickets they give away.. I would say as long as when we move in to a new stadium that we are still going forward in the leagues there is no reason why we couldn't add 3 or 4k extra fans every game instantly. We have a good core support already like Reading did but a new stadium and a better match day experience will make us able to attract families who won't attend the kassam for obvious reasons. If we all hate the kassam being proper fans what chance have we got attracting the occasional fans..get it built they will come!
But to be fair Madjeski matched the new stadium by bringing in quality players to get to the dizzy heights of the premiership and the championship, although they do have heavy debts running to the the tunes of tens of millions, prior to the Madjeski it was Elms park and average 3,000 crowds.

As an aside, the unimaginative name they've copied from elsewhere for us on their forum is unoriginal, PoxFord. So like the club's League place, they've stolen a really crap effort at a derogatory name for us as well.

This guy is impressed with our game management and Matty Taylor is the King of Shithouses :D :

Nice to see Jamie Mackie's lessons are really having a positive effect and he must have imparted some of those to KR as well.

Lovely stuff that we are now annoying the opponents as we've been shithoused plenty in the past few seasons.

Again, amusing that they are talking about the last 10-15 minutes though when every team will do such if they can. Tbf, this author does begrudgingly praise the efforts mind and it is a decent read.

Anyway, here's to more chants of 'Boring, boring Oxford' to be chanted by opposition fans.
I like that, he sounds like a true supporter, able to shrug wryly at an annoying defeat rather than have a total meltdown and start abusing everyone.

If we had a four sided ground with decent access that didn't look, and smell, like a toilet, we would be getting 8-10k home fans most games as one of the better teams in L1. Get promoted and we would add 3-4k every week. Top in away support in the Championship, and we would fill a 16k stadium most games. Anything above 20k would run the risk of looking half empty most games. MKD is a nice ground but far too big. Even now, they are struggling to get above 4k hardcore support when you strip out the free tickets. The MKD 'experiment' may well fail in time. But that serves them right.

I wonder what the "core" support of MKD is? How many people would profess to only support MKD, maybe 2,000.

The emptiness of the stadium does reel of a failed project and a pointless football club taking up a space in the football league that could be filled by a proper football club like Grimsby, Chesterfield, Notts County etc.

They would of been better off growing a club organically from non league, it’s a big enough place to have a league club but stealing a league place didn’t give them a club rising up the pyramid to follow. At least it shows franchises don’t work in our football system.

The guy makes a point about smiling when the keeper beat Taylor with a drag back in the first half - must admit so did I. I said to my mates at the time, I’m happy for him to play around - at some point he‘ll get caught out, you always do at this level. We pushed up on the centre backs and keeper at every chance just waiting for the opportunity.

As an aside, I thought McGuane really contributed to the press when he came on.

"Crowds" (or official attendance?) of more than 10k require vaccine passport or negative test from Monday. Where does this leave MK?
If they have sold low priced ST/given out 8,000 tickets, they allow 1,000 home fans pay on day then if the away fans is more than 1,000 then the official attendance is greater than 10,000, but only 5,000 people in the ground. So they do they need to implement the new Plan B covid passports? I bet Boris didn't think of this!

"Crowds" (or official attendance?) of more than 10k require vaccine passport or negative test from Monday. Where does this leave MK?
If they have sold low priced ST/given out 8,000 tickets, they allow 1,000 home fans pay on day then if the away fans is more than 1,000 then the official attendance is greater than 10,000, but only 5,000 people in the ground. So they do they need to implement the new Plan B covid passports? I bet Boris didn't think of this!
THe figure that matters is surely the capacity, not the number who attend, which is unpredictable if not all ticket.

I don't think you would be making this post if United had dropped all three points!
100 percent I would. I'm able to separate my emotions from the actual evidence. If we had lost, I would have said exactly the same thing.

Haven't got time to read the whole thread, but was there a proper programme and if so how much was it?

I was in hospitality and there was a matchday supplement listed as £2 cover price, but very little content apart from advertising, managers notes, bit on Oxford, hardly any stats, just wondered if this was the actual programme or a short version they gave away to sponsors etc

Back
Top Bottom