Away Match Build Up 26/12/2021 L1: Pompey P-P OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
If the match goes ahead, will be interesting as to what both team's team selection will be.

I think it will be a tight OUFC win.

Until we know how many and which players on each side are available for selection, I think it's impossible to say. Personally I think the score will be P-P.

Stevens
Long Moore Thorniley Seddon
Sykes Forde McGuane
Whyte Taylor Williams

Bodin, Agyei, Mousinho & Eastwood as subs.

Got "not happening" written all over it.
They will bottle it by declaring positive tests.

If it happens we spank them.... again... :)

No way they’ll choose to play us with the unavailability they have. Postponed, surely, and a midweek trip to Portsmouth in prospect.

Was just looking at the statement put out by the EFL re Pompey's last suspended match and the phrasing for when matches are to be called off:

In the wake of recent EFL fixture postponements due to Covid-19 cases at clubs, the EFL has also provided guidance on non-fulfilment of fixtures, confirming that clubs will be expected to play where it has 14 players including a goalkeeper available from the club’s registered squad list, under-21 players not on the squad list but have played one league match, or any other contracted player not on the squad list but otherwise would have been eligible to play.

Does this not create a perverse incentive not to play youth players? On the basis that it would be stupid to give e.g. Goodrham a run-out for the last 15 mins of a game we're winning comfortably because then, if we had a situation where we had only 12 players + a keeper fit/available, we would be required to play (as Goodrham would count towards the 14, having played one league match)? Seems like an unhelpfully broad-brush approach, and probably explains why we're seeing so many benches not at a full complement this season.

Game off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom