Away Match Day Thread 11/12/2021 L1: MK Dons v OUFC

Liam Manning gives an impressive interview. He does not bitch about the ref, claims that our first goal was offside, perceived time-wasting or the referee, etc. etc. He focuses instead on what worked and what didn't work for MK Dons - sober, polite, analytical, overall a refreshing approach.
I was with the "head coach sponsors" and we had a meet with him by the dugouts before the game, said he liked watching Oxford play, unlike some clubs in this league, when asked which Oxford player he thought would improve his team he said he couldn't say as it would upset Karl, we did try to sell him Winnall for £20 and a pint🤣

I was with the "head coach sponsors" and we had a meet with him by the dugouts before the game, said he liked watching Oxford play, unlike some clubs in this league, when asked which Oxford player he thought would improve his team he said he couldn't say as it would upset Karl, we did try to sell him Winnall for £20 and a pint🤣
Well, what did you expect, asking for the £20.00 was taking the P**s!

Think it’s a great ground and the atmosphere was top notch yesterday. Having said that I reckon the last time fans sat in the top tier was to see Robbie Williams in 2014.

To be fair the ones I saw were ok and helpful, unlike some of the knobheads near me who were intent on winding the stewards up and, as my daughter in law commented, behaving like 6 year olds.

MK Dons lost 2 million last year to bring their total debt up to 14 million.
You wonder how long their ownership group will continue to bankroll that if more fans don't start showing up on a regular basis.

Mind you, you could probably say similar about half of the clubs in League One.....including us until this past year's Baptiste & Whyte- dependent profit.

MK Dons lost 2 million last year to bring their total debt up to 14 million.
You wonder how long their ownership group will continue to bankroll that if more fans don't start showing up on a regular basis.

Mind you, you could probably say similar about half of the clubs in League One.....including us until this past year's Baptiste & Whyte- dependent profit.
Mk seem.to have spent pretty big this season to get to the Championship ( as you suggested like a lot of clubs).
MKs ground and apparent lack of supporters who seem to want to pay for tickets means that they, more than most need Championship/ PL football.
There seems to be little restriction on away supporters ( didn't Wolves once take around 8,000?), and so MKs crowds will benefit hugely from massive away support (and the Corporate hospitality crowd who find Championship football as acceptable)

Mk seem.to have spent pretty big this season to get to the Championship ( as you suggested like a lot of clubs).
MKs ground and apparent lack of supporters who seem to want to pay for tickets means that they, more than most need Championship/ PL football.
There seems to be little restriction on away supporters ( didn't Wolves once take around 8,000?), and so MKs crowds will benefit hugely from massive away support (and the Corporate hospitality crowd who find Championship football as acceptable)
They’ve got to get their first

Most years, I would look at League One and think this is right.

But this year? Sunderland, Wednesday, Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton, Wigan.......you could make the argument that all of them need to be in the Championship at the minimum to make their business models work, at least as much as MKD.

So when Rotherham and ourselves take the automatic spots, and Pompey win the playoffs, there's going to be a lot of sorely disappointed money men in League One!

It's a testament to how 'big' League One has become that even if we sold out the Kasstad for every game all season, we'd still only have the 8th highest average attendance in the division for 2021/22. Which again emphasizes why we're never going to sustainably sit higher than we are now in the pyramid until we get a better stadium.

Most years, I would look at League One and think this is right.

But this year? Sunderland, Wednesday, Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton, Wigan.......you could make the argument that all of them need to be in the Championship at the minimum to make their business models work, at least as much as MKD.

So when Rotherham and ourselves take the automatic spots, and Pompey win the playoffs, there's going to be a lot of sorely disappointed money men in League One!

It's a testament to how 'big' League One has become that even if we sold out the Kasstad for every game all season, we'd still only have the 8th highest average attendance in the division for 2021/22. Which again emphasizes why we're never going to sustainably sit higher than we are now in the pyramid until we get a better stadium.

That last paragraph puts things superbly into perspective.

not sure about the penultimate one, but fingers crossed

• React
Reactions: m
Absolutely agree with Foley's post.

Their (MK's) support has always been indifferent (sh*te) to say the least but if they did get to the championship they, MK, wouldn't care less when the crowd is printed in the mornings paper stating attendances of around 12 to 15k for most matches and ascending to close on 20k when a few of the really big championship sides visit. Mark my words MK's crowds no matter what will still stand side by side and be sufficiently on par with the QPR's, Millwall's, Preston and dare I mention the biscuit barrels at championship level and rest assured their board will not worry their brow lines about who sings louder at their ground. It will state in b/w print that they at championship level and are commanding 5 figure crowds at every home match and like everyone will know it will be the majority of the visiting supporters who will be paying the megila every fortnight to support MK's cause. But it will not actually stop there, as along with joining the championship the club will without doubt yeald more high profile commercial opportunities, a basic award and solidarity payment equaling around £1.4 million and dare I say a few more born and bred Milton Keynonians will probably come out of the snozone for a fortnightly bout of 90 minutes of higher level football to help swell the crowd a 'Dr Hook' a little bit more.

This is why we should be aiming like we are atm to secure championship football in whatever stadium we have atm ahead of the bleak city of boulevards.

COYY'S

Back
Top Bottom