Home Match Build Up 18/12/2021 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
So, after that great win against the DONgs onto an even tougher test. Wigan Athletic, 3 points above us in the table and 2 points above us in the form table are our next opponents.
Definitely a difficult team to play, but their defence is not quite so good as ours. Unfortunately they score more than we do.

But we can win this one to put us level with them on points. Win by a margin of 4 and we will go above them.

When will we find out what is needed in regards to attending this match? I was going to take my son but until I know how the lft's are going to work I'm not buying tickets.

McNally in for Thorniley & possibly Williams in for Holland if he has a knock.

No reason why there shouldn’t be 8,500+ at this.

Really tricky game and, despite OUFC going well beyond everything that could've been done to get the game on, Wigan fans will be on it from the start wanting to do us over for what happened a few weeks back. Given the fantastic results we've had the last few games, losing this wouldn't be a disaster, but it would be a real statement if we took 3 points and it would be the first time this season I'd genuinely start believing the autos are in reach.

As it is I think it'll end as a disappointing draw. OUFC go 2 up first half, pegged back right before half time. Wigan then come out flying and get a second right after half time to firmly clench the rears of all OUFC fans, but boring, boring Oxford cheat their way to a point leaving Wigan fans hating us even more than before the game. 2 goals and a red card for Taylor.

With the results we’ve had lately I’d like to see a 9000+ attendance for this one should be a good game hopefully
I’m hoping the club release some info about what’s required to attend this game if children need LFT my boys aren’t old enough to get vaccinated yet

When will we find out what is needed in regards to attending this match? I was going to take my son but until I know how the lft's are going to work I'm not buying tickets.
Club safety team are discussing this as I type. If the crowd is less than 10,000, as it stands at the moment, then there will be no need for any additional testing, pass etc.

Really tricky game and, despite OUFC going well beyond everything that could've been done to get the game on, Wigan fans will be on it from the start wanting to do us over for what happened a few weeks back.
The Wigan fans can quite frankly go f*ck themselves. Were we supposed to put an outfield player in goal or what?

Am I right in thinking there is some sort of reduced ticket prices on offer for Saturdays home game v Wigan ( for non ST holders) .... cant find any info on OWS , but Im sure I read that there was, somewhere, recently ... or I maybe I imagined it ?

Last edited:
The Wigan fans can quite frankly go f*ck themselves. Were we supposed to put an outfield player in goal or what?
Agree 100%. The entitlement and response from them was beyond ridiculous. Maybe they'd prefer if we pulled a Crewevid just to appease them because they're a "big club" and apparently we're scared of them.

At least Ipswich fans hate us for something we actually did (still very little) rather than for doing more than any other club would have to try get the game on. Looking at you, Spurs.

Wigan do have a very strong team "on paper", this will be a really tough test. I'd be pretty delighted with a point personally, would keep the unbeaten run going.

Am I right in thinking there is some sort of reduced ticket prices on offer for Saturdays home game v Wigan ( for non ST holders) .... cant find any info on OWS , but Im sure I read that there was, somewhere, recently ... or I maybe I imagined it ?
No that was for the Wimbledon game on the 29th and the NYD v Cheltenham, tickets for £15.

Although for Wigan there was this draw thing where you could nominate people to receive tickets.

No that was for the Wimbledon game on the 29th and the NYD v Cheltenham, tickets for £15.

Although for Wigan there was this draw thing where you could nominate people to receive tickets.
Cheers for the update- @McVicar :) ... I thought Id read something, somewhere... got the game(s) wrong though

Wigan do have a very strong team "on paper", this will be a really tough test. I'd be pretty delighted with a point personally, would keep the unbeaten run going.
They’re in tremendous form away from home but we’re at home, unbeaten in 9 with strong home form of our own; I’m backing the boys to win this by the odd goal.

Cheers for the update- @McVicar :) ... I thought Id read something, somewhere... got the game(s) wrong though
Unless you were thinking of this:

With the results we’ve had lately I’d like to see a 9000+ attendance for this one should be a good game hopefully
I’m hoping the club release some info about what’s required to attend this game if children need LFT my boys aren’t old enough to get vaccinated yet
Home ticket sales are slightly ahead of the same stage prior to the Wycombe game, at just over 6,000 so far. Wycombe ended up at about 7,600 home fans, and I'd expect maybe 100/200 more than that. Wigan travel a lot better than they used to (1,000 to Wimbledon, 700 to Plymouth, 2,000 to Sunderland) so I'd hope for 1,000 to our place on Saturday, so probably looking at 8,500/8,800 total attendance, which is not bad for the last shopping weekend before Christmas.

I'll report back later in the week on sales progress.

Last edited:
Surely the club are going to plug the hell out of this game in the lead up to Saturday.

9 games unbeaten and 2nd vs 5th.

Come on the club, reach out as much as possible and get 9,000 home fans through the gate!

A big ask in the current environment.

A game less than 10 days before Christmas will put a lot of the occasional visitors off I would have thought.

I am sure many people are starting to reduce the extent of their mixing amongst others, to avoid a potential 10 day isolation.

Mumble mumble must win, mumbles mumbles game mumble a bit more....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom