Home Match Day Thread +++ 29/12/2018 OUFC v Bristol Rovers FC +++

This may be a shock but he's a centre half.

Just an observation. He gets in the right place every week but for some reason can’t put the ball in the net. I could be wrong, but it seems our centre halves in general could chip in with a few more goals.

Last edited:
Just an observation. He gets in the right place every week but for some reason can’t put the ball in the net. Our centre halves should have scored (at least) a couple between them by this stage of the season.

Nelson has scored twice this season !!!

My take

Bristol rovers wanted to win more than us. They were a lot more physical than us. We lost out in the midfield. Lost the 2nd ball time and time again. Our tactics were lump it long to browne time and time again who the rovers full back had in his pocket. The only good spell we had was the last 10 minutes of the 1st half when we actually played a bit of football. Nelson and dickie passed to each other which drew rovers out leaving a bit of space for brannigan. 2nd half was dire we couldnt string two or more passes together. Their striker was excellent bullying our cbs. Calamatious error from dickie. Really bad. Rovers on decent chances created should have beaten us 4 or 5 - 1. Left the stadium thinking we are in real trouble our football today was embarassing.

Seriously, he ain't the problem is he

No, of course, agreed, he’s not, but we sure could do with the goals at the moment. Even Radox mentioned it (specifically) after today’s game, I noticed it too and I have to agree.

I think we all know, there is more than one area of the pitch that needs addressing.

It would of been disallowed for offside but none of Nelsons missed chances were comparable to Mackies near the end, open goal 2 yards out and he some how scuffed it then cleared the scuff with an attempted second go, the linesman has probably saved him from internet fame there.

Now you guys get to a lot more games than me so see for yourselves what the problems maybe. But for me reading your 1st hand accounts and what little I actually see, when we win or play well it’s always what a good footballing side we are when we are aloud to play. When we lose it’s always they wanted it more or they were more physical than us etc. So I think it’s not just certain players for certain positions it’s also a mental thing and even a coaching problem. We still seem to 1 dimentional. I think we need a nasty b****r in the middle of the park or even a Craig Bellamy type of player. Then a striker who will score a few. If Stockley does go to Pompey then either Hawkins or Pitman would be good.
It’s not the end of the world though or the Armageddon that some are predicting. We have to trust in tiger and his chums because basically we don’t have a choice. So we might as well just support our boys in yellow.

Gashead here in peace. Thought we were in control yesterday and never really worried about conceding bar a couple of poor misses in the first half from you. I've gone from thinking well probably go down to not expecting to at all. It must feel embarrassing to lose to us 6 times in a row at your place, I mean we're hardly bloody Barcelona!

Anyway Karl Robinson... If I'm honest thought he was a poor appointment by you guys. Only real success was with MK Dons when he took them up to the championship but he had the money there ans even then he took them straight back down.

I wouldn't put you off going for Darrell Clarke, he was a legend here and I think he just become disillusioned with the board's ambitions in the end and became in a bit stubborn with his team. He only lives about an hour away too. I don't think he's the sort of name you would go for. You seem to prefer going for higher profile managers I feel but I might be wrong?

P.S thought your players were a bit soft. Looking for a free kick too often. We seem to have found a slightly more physical side to our game and are battling for more. We've gone back to basics but it's working for the short term and we'veanaged to keep some consistency in our tram (DC liked making 3 or 4 changes every game).

Gashead here in peace. Thought we were in control yesterday and never really worried about conceding bar a couple of poor misses in the first half from you. I've gone from thinking well probably go down to not expecting to at all. It must feel embarrassing to lose to us 6 times in a row at your place, I mean we're hardly bloody Barcelona!

Anyway Karl Robinson... If I'm honest thought he was a poor appointment by you guys. Only real success was with MK Dons when he took them up to the championship but he had the money there ans even then he took them straight back down.

I wouldn't put you off going for Darrell Clarke, he was a legend here and I think he just become disillusioned with the board's ambitions in the end and became in a bit stubborn with his team. He only lives about an hour away too. I don't think he's the sort of name you would go for. You seem to prefer going for higher profile managers I feel but I might be wrong?

P.S thought your players were a bit soft. Looking for a free kick too often. We seem to have found a slightly more physical side to our game and are battling for more. We've gone back to basics but it's working for the short term and we'veanaged to keep some consistency in our tram (DC liked making 3 or 4 changes every game).

Thank you so much for your observations. Very much appreciated.

And yes you are right, you aren’t Barcelona and it is incredibly embarrassing losing to a team like Bristol Rovers.

Just shows how low things have sunk for us.

Enjoy the rest of your season.

Why say you are a gas fan in peace but then make a confrontational statement like wemust be embarrassed to lose to you six times in a row? Personally I'm gutted about the position we are in, how poor we can be but not particularly embarrassed that we have lost to you six times in a row at home.

Why say you are a gas fan in peace but then make a confrontational statement like wemust be embarrassed to lose to you six times in a row? Personally I'm gutted about the position we are in, how poor we can be but not particularly embarrassed that we have lost to you six times in a row at home.
I didn't mean for it to be confrontational. I was just putting myself in your position and how I would feel!

I’ve woken up this morning feeling more angry than ever about the state of our football club. It’s a shambles - I was going to say from top to bottom but that’s not true, thanks to the work of Dan Harris and his academy staff. The one big shining light.

Anyone who’s seen Robinson’s ifollow interview after the game will see a man devoid of ideas and who’s basically thrown in the towel. It’s not his fault and there’s nothing he can do is the basic message. I don’t want to go over old ground, everyone knows the summer was a mess in turns of squad recruitment - all this after Robinson’s tub thumping in April about how he was going to get 8 or 9 players in early so we could hit the ground running in the new season. We all know how that went, only a spell of games where the team basically picked itself and clicked into a rhythm to win and draw a few games managed to see us pop up out of the bottom four, before, as those players have started to tire from the pressure and workload, is seeing us slide back down again.

January is now massive, can Robinson bring in the players and mould a team to get us away from the relegation zone? The jury is very much out but if he gets it wrong and Tiger decides enough is enough ( I personally don’t see Tiger dismissing Robinson - ever - btw) a new manager will have the impossible task of having to work with a squad he can do nothing to change, and time running out.

We’ve no idea about Tigers ability to run the club, or the state of his finances, or even the level of ambition or strategy but I would say it’s a fair bet that relegation would be a disaster. Tiger still talking about playoffs and promotion to the championship, if not this season then next, worries the hell out of me, and shows an owner completely out of touch with reality. If this is how he sees our current situation, how much can we trust him or his word on anything else he’s stated?!

These are very worrying times, and we need need Oxvox to be strong and organised. I won’t even go in to the situation there, all I’ll say is I hope they regroup at the top ASAP so that their eye isn’t taken off the ball for too long.

Good riddance to 2018, let’s all hope 2019 gives us supporters something better.

I’m not in the boat of wanting Robinson out yet, but he does play the victim card e.g. we’ve got no offensive option etc, but Karl it was you that brought in all these injury prone crocs knowing we already had at least two on the books in Hall and Obika.

So what’s the truth? Did Tiger back you in the summer or were you left with only the dregs to chose from because the funds weren’t there? Who’s fault was it?

Oh, and to bring in a 16 year old in a physical battle expecting to change it was ludicrous. These players should be brought on when you’re winning a game easily with 10-15mins to go, not to change the game. To me it was a signal to Tiger to show him what you’re playing with, poor show in my eyes, victim mode.

In addition to the above, I’m pissed off with all the shite we’ve been given over the years by different owners (mainly tyrant Kassam), confidentiality agreements so they can continue with their B*****s. On this, Tiger is starting to f**k me off. Time to get real with him. We were fed all this shite by Kassam, so we’re not Reading plastic supporters who were singing and clapping (literally) oblivious to what’s going in, we’ve been there and got the t-shirt, so this s**t has to be confronted.

With the state of the squad and god knows what the state the club is in, this January window is crucial to the direction of this club, so we’ve got to get it right.

The only way this club will ever move forward is when owners, managers and fans are open and honest, but I think hell will freeze over first!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom