Home Match Day Thread 18/4/2023 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think a draw tonight which may/ may not be good enough at the end of the day.

We will get nothing Saturday which means we will need a further 7 points from our last 3 games and that still might not be enough

Just want a win, something to give us a spark of belief going in to the final games.

Lose and I think we're done

At a concert tonight, so won't be online. Fully expecting to come out and see a 2-0 Pompey win from a well-drilled side who exploits the opposition. Even a point, while good in isolation, doesn't really help us...wins needed but I don't think it'll be tonight.

Anyway, hope springs eternal...COYY!

Frightening thing is if we lose today and get the inevitable loss at Barnsley, we’d have to win all 3 remaining games just to achieve the average minimum points to survive in this division (49).

Our rivals have very similar level opponents at home so this could be a huge night. We may need a win just to stay in touch.

This. Is. Horrid.

Well I've recently put even more money on us to be relegated, so this is the inevitable part where we turn it round and get the 3 points.

Up the yellows.

Ah. David Kemp. The worst manager we have ever had. Made KR look like Guardiola. And I know he had very little money, but he built the worst 'team' I have ever seen in 45+ years.

This is a myth that’s been repeated so much it’s entered into the OUFC as a truth.

The majority of that side was put together by Denis Smith. He signed the likes of McGuckin, Robertson and Jarman. He admitted that the signings he made were never good enough.

Kemp arrived in October and did have money to spend. £35k on Hatswell and £250k combined on Andy Scott and Rob Quinn. I’m not going to excuse his abilities as a manager or for his own choice of signings but he was not the only one complicit in that tragic farce of a season.

Oxblogger covers it all here if you like horror stories: https://oxblogger.co.uk/2020/03/22/long-read-the-longest-year-oxford-united-in-2000-01/

And Graham Rix remains the worst manager for me. Kemp inherited crap and couldn’t make it any better. Rix inherited something useable from Ian Atkins, dismantled it and then added Courtney Pitt on top of it. Extra special levels of ineptitude there.

And to stay on topic, Rix was hopeless at Pompey too.

Eastwood
Long Moore Findlay Brown
Goodrham McGuane Brannagan Browne
Smith Joseph

McGinty, Fleming, Anderson, Bodin, Smyth, Wildschut, O'Donkor

Feels like we need to start throwing darts in a bid to find a way to score

Last edited:
0-0 mostly likely for us to get a point. Need everyone fit for Cheltenham, FGR and Accy! We need good delivery from set plays so let’s hope our man’s worked on that this week as Mous will certainly have his boys primed for corners and set plays.

I reckon this is a huge one tonight, its been 15 games since we won, we are desperate for a win to end that run and to get us going in the relegation battle.

The run ends tonight, 1-0 win to us with Joseph shanking one in the opposite corner that he intended it to go in to.

Can't see how we can possibly win tonight unless the footballing gods decide to intervene: deflection off a pigeon's a**e from a referee's skewed kick slipping on Goodrham's discarded banana skin.
Will be attending anyway despite a 4-hr round trip to witness the miracle.

Going into the Peterborough game, I thought (and said on here) that we needed to find one win in our next six games if we were to have a good shot at avoiding relegation going into those easy final three games.

Well, six games is now two games - we're still waiting on that win, and Saturday at one of the league's best and most in-form sides looks ugly.

So tonight feels like a must win. If we don't, then we're really going to need a lot of help from elsewhere.......

Just need an ugly, lucky goal from somewhere and then defend it with our lives, while looking to pick up something more on the break.

Still somewhat hopeful. This league is so poor!

All we can do as long suffering supporters is make the atmosphere as hostile as possible. For Portsmouth of course.

This is not exactly the time to be ballsaching about the Scouse Guardiola.

Attachments

• 0807E72C-36F8-4140-A15F-02BBC4D8FD9B.jpeg
    0807E72C-36F8-4140-A15F-02BBC4D8FD9B.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Everyone needs to be up for this tonight, we all have a part to play!

Not interested in a performance, just a win at any cost..

Up the U's!

Everyone needs to be up for this tonight, we all have a part to play!

Not interested in a performance, just a win at any cost..

Up the U's!
I totally agree play s**t and win although I would rather have style and wins points are all that matters now, ask any Bolton fan and he will tell you that regarding Saturday. Enough points to keep us up will do for me then get on with the summer. Looking forward at that point is what needs doing and quickly as we need an overhaul.

Slow slow slow wait to drop into the bottom 4 it's been looming and I think once we are in we aren't getting out of it. Unbelievable Bull s**t we've listen to all season.

Back
Top Bottom