Home Match Day Thread 17/08/21 L1: OUFC v Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to disagree, normally ageyi is a handful but tonight for whatever reason he was off it. Can see him being loaned and ellis harrison coming in. We need something more up top.
Your post agrees with mine, I said it wasn't his best game.

My final point is Tuesday night always throws up more irregular results than sat 3pm. Hated doing tote on Tuesdays. Never won. So glad to escape with 3 points. Ipswich, Sunderland, lincoln, charlton all lost winnable games tonight

Wasn't pretty but job done. Few tired legs out there it seemed after 4 games in 10 days.

3 points is the main thing, still early days. This must be our best start in a good few seasons isn't it?!

Your post agrees with mine, I said it wasn't his best game.
Not surprised the way Karl kept berating him every time. Even when Gorrin misplaced a pass in the first half Karl seemed to vent his frustration towards Agyei or should I say some pre match notes!!

I can't believe that Mcnally wasn't called for foul throws, his foot was so far off the ground he almost kicked his own a**e, twice
I couldn’t believe that, his 2nd throw in he almost did a basketball shot as he jumped with both feet!!

I can't believe that Mcnally wasn't called for foul throws, his foot was so far off the ground he almost kicked his own a**e, twice
Agreed. Two obvious foul throws. The officials ignored both. The Crewe manager spotted the second one and was having a well deserved rant!

My abiding memory from tonight will be Crewe’s drummer. I never like a drum at games but this was particularly annoying for three reasons.

1. They had about 200 fans there so should have shown some humility. Instead, they had League 1’s biggest drum. What is they say about men with big cars?

2. He could not drum. It was like having the builders in next door hammering away without any rhythm.

3. He was drumming at completely random moments like when there was a throw to us on the halfway line. If he had been on the internet, most would have assumed he was a bot.

Serious question: should we stop away fans bringing in drums? Sometimes if the away fans are loud it helps build an atmosphere like with Charlton last week. But having some bang away at a drum with no sense of rhythm at random moments made tonight worse.

Great result, not a good performance though.

Reverted back to players being scared to shoot again for some reason, and poor decision making in the final third.

Very unlucky with the injuries, hopefully none of them are too bad.

Bodin looks a good player, fingers crossed he can stay fit.

McNally had a good game, but he ain’t no RB, so we need Williams or Forde to be available on Saturday.

Taylor struggled, but with his injury record and lack of sharpness, Winnall can’t be considered the answer, we need another striker.

Agyei sadly didn’t take his chance tonight, good cross in the lead up to the penalty, and unlucky not to score after running onto a ball over the top, but otherwise looked a bit out of sorts, would really like to see him trusted to play down the middle.

Everyone else was a 5 or 6 out of 10 for me, not a great performance, but the players showed fantastic spirit and commitment to grind out the result.

Luckily for us, Crewe were bloody awful, but we’ll need to up our game if we wanna continue our great start to the campaign.

Well done Robbo for galvanising the players at the end, and well done to the lads for grinding out the 3 points.

Last edited:
Thoughts from tonight. Crewe were one of those goodish poor sides. Artell is a bit of a wally.

As for us - very disjointed, my word we need cover at RB which I know is obvious but to witness firstly Ryan Williams having to battle his way through, then I think McNally and Whyte it was a struggle all evening. A better opponent would've created real problems.

I was sitting in the South stand and I noticed a hell of a lot of goodwill and encouragement for Dan Agyei from all over the support up there. I know he has had a stop start time with us, but his body language needs to improve. He doesn't seem to believe in himself despite having a lot of ability and power.

Cameron Brannagan - if you're reading this, hats for the the graft and will power tonight. Not much came off, but he demonstrated real determination.

McNally made a great run to break through the line ( which I think lead to the penalty in the end) I think we've got a real good one there.

Gorrin was his typical terrier type self.

Overall really pleased with the 3 points. I f we can play like that again and get 3 points we'll be doing very well.

COYY

Just got back, haven't read any of the thread yet so apologies if repeating.

All a bit after the lord mayor's show. After the buzz on and off the pitch of Saturday everything seemed a little subdued tonight, both fans and players. Still, a win's a win and a clean sheet (that was probably merited, despite that sitter at the end for Crewe) is very welcome. With some big teams you'd expect to be in and around it in MAy dropping points, it seems pretty obvious that there are a few teams still 'gelling' in our league, who will move up a gear in a month or two. Important for us to get points on the board while we can.

Three players really stood out for me, all for different reasons.

First, McNally. Lad's fast becoming an absolute fan favourite. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he could have a higher ceiling than Dickie or Atkinson. The kid is just an unreal athlete. He also has that ability to drive out of defence, which was such a key attribute of those first two. What a player. I said it on Saturday, I'll say it again - does Moore, when fit, get back in the side? Not a perfect performance by any means, with a couple of dangerous moments with the ball at his feet, but I'm very impressed.

Second, Bodin. I don't think anybody was consistently good all game - it was all a bit bitty, as I say - but he looked really busy and useful for me. Showed some lovely flashes of skill. Lacking a bit of end product at the moment, but another acquisition that went under the radar a bit but I think could prove really canny.

Finally, Agyei. The guy is just such a frustrating footballer. He always, always looks like he's playing at about 75%. I was watching him quite closely when he came on, after the whole Winnall / Agyei debate of the last couple weeks, and he always just seems to reactive to everything. There were SO many times when Thorniley had the ball, looking for that big diagonal we know he loves, and Agyei, with acres of green grass, half the pitch free ahead of him, didn't make any kind of run. Same happened again in the second half, with one notable occasion with Brannagan on the left. Just needed to stretch his legs and f*****g gun it and he just kind of quickly jogs into position. He's got everything - the physical attributes, the ability on the ball, even the end product (the goal came from a wicked ball in from him) - but he just seems to refuse to use it. I thought the moment at the end with KR was very telling, when he was fouled. KR went absolutely f*****g spare, and with good reason. I do get that not every player has to be a Brannagan, Williams, Taylor-type, wear your heart on your sleeve, and some are that more lackadaisical, Berbatov type. But when the rest of the side is busting a gut to close players down and stop crosses and you're there sitting with your arms on your knees feeling sorry for yourself and not doing anything to stop the quick freekick, you're just not a KR player.

The rightback situation is really worrying, but, to be fair to the club, it's hardly due to lack of foresight. Even if we had two backup rightbacks, we would still now be out of naturals in that position. We need to get one in by the weekend, obviously, but equally the club has been dreadfully unlucky in that department.

Crewe seemed fine. Classic solid, well-organised League One side without much going forward. Were better than I anticipated, and better than Charlton imo, without the unique danger of a Stockley to give them any kind of threat up front. I also suspect I may be alone in this but I really like Madley as a referee. I like how not everything is a foul and he tries to allow for a bit of niggle. Both sides benefitted at times today and it made the game a more entertaining spectacle (although that did have all the effect of polishing a turd, to be fair).

Not a classic, bloody stressful at the end, and some concerning injuries. But the season is still shaping up really promisingly.

Not surprised the way Karl kept berating him every time. Even when Gorrin misplaced a pass in the first half Karl seemed to vent his frustration towards Agyei or should I say some pre match notes!!
Really? I never saw that. Agyei had his chance tonight to really prove he should be a starter and unfortunately I don’t think he did. Having said that, we weren’t at our best tonight and several underperformed. But what a great 3 points that was…..how many times in the past would we have conceded late on. There is a real togetherness with this squad

Agyei sadly didn’t take his chance tonight, good cross in the lead up to the penalty, and unlucky not to score after running onto a ball over the top, but otherwise looked a bit out of sorts
He has never been comfortable on the wing (especially the left) and it’s painfully obvious when he’s asked to do it for more than the last 15 minutes. It makes the team play worse and that’s why I’m never going to understand why this has happened - Oxford play worse with Agyei on the wing. Play him through the middle whether it’s for 90 minutes or 90 seconds or simply don’t play him at all. He’s got above average pace and apparently that’s enough to make him an option out wide. I really don’t know what anybody gets from it. Literally one minute after he moved into the middle next to Taylor he powered past the centre back while chasing a ball in behind and nearly scored, which presented more of a threat than our other forward players seemed to carry tonight. I don’t know how many more times this wingman routine has to happen but it’s beyond old.

Robinson doesn’t rate Agyei and Agyei clearly doesn’t enjoy getting played sporadically in a position that he doesn’t like, purely because he can run quickly, so just get him loaned out ahead of his release at the end of the season and stop the nonsense. People talk about how he doesn’t look right and his body language is off, yet when he got a run of games and a few goals playing through the middle towards the back end of last season there were comments galore about how he looked a new man, he was smiling more and doing media interviews etc. That is not a coincidence. Nobody is winning with this.

Get the loan move finalised and everybody can move on.

When I've seen Agyei play in the middle he's always run himself into a great position but never actually managed to score. When we first moved him to the wing it was great because he has all the attributes the be great in that position. Like other's have been saying he just seems to refuse to actually be great on the wing, despite having the ability to be a great winger. Really confusing to me, but... 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom