Home Match Build Up 17/08/21 L1: OUFC v Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'leaving oxford with a positive result' tweet last year was quite incredible I thought. Mocking a club for taking seriously a virus that had killed about 60,000 people in the UK at that point, at least some of whom were almost certainly Crewe fans. Staggering. That said, I think the needle's gone from the fixture because of the way we embarrassed them in the return fixture. Pretty difficult to take any kind of smug moral highground when you've just had six goals put past you at home, one of which involved a Yellow winger putting four of your players on their arses on a run from his own half, and I think they know that. Robinson's complimenting of Artell at the end of that fixture reminded me slightly of SAF being complimentary towards Wenger by the end of his tenure in Manchester after years of pretty nasty rivalry - nice on the surface, but basically a veiled way of saying, you're no threat to me fella. You've been seen off.

In terms of the game itself, from what I gather the exciting, homegrown core of talented youngsters that brought Crewe up in 2019-20 has basically all been sold off at this point, with the sale of Kirk last week the final nail in the coffin. I think they're going to struggle this year, they're not the team they were, and tomorrow night is the kind of game we should be expecting to win reasonably comfortably if we have serious ambitions about going up. I have to say though that, after seeing that performance on Saturday, I'm really very confident that this team will have enough to get that win here.

Worth noting that if we hit 7 points by full time tomorrow night, that'll represent more points, after 3 games, than we had after 8 games last season, 7 games the season before and 12 games the season before that. Sets us up really nicely going into some tricky fixtures going into September and October.

The 'leaving oxford with a positive result' tweet last year was quite incredible I thought. Mocking a club for taking seriously a virus that had killed about 60,000 people in the UK at that point, at least some of whom were almost certainly Crewe fans. Staggering. That said, I think the needle's gone from the fixture because of the way we embarrassed them in the return fixture. Pretty difficult to take any kind of smug moral highground when you've just had six goals put past you at home, one of which involved a Yellow winger putting four of your players on their arses on a run from his own half, and I think they know that. Robinson's complimenting of Artell at the end of that fixture reminded me slightly of SAF being complimentary towards Wenger by the end of his tenure in Manchester after years of pretty nasty rivalry - nice on the surface, but basically a veiled way of saying, you're no threat to me fella. You've been seen off.

In terms of the game itself, from what I gather the exciting, homegrown core of talented youngsters that brought Crewe up in 2019-20 has basically all been sold off at this point, with the sale of Kirk last week the final nail in the coffin. I think they're going to struggle this year, they're not the team they were, and tomorrow night is the kind of game we should be expecting to win reasonably comfortably if we have serious ambitions about going up. I have to say though that, after seeing that performance on Saturday, I'm really very confident that this team will have enough to get that win here.

Worth noting that if we hit 7 points by full time tomorrow night, that'll represent more points, after 3 games, than we had after 8 games last season, 7 games the season before and 12 games the season before that. Sets us up really nicely going into some tricky fixtures going into September and October.
Considering Crewe spent decades covering up the fact the club was full of nonces, I really don’t think they’re the type of club you look to for a bit of morality…

I hate them, with a passion. I hope we beat them 6-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom