Home Match Day Thread 30/04/2022 L1: OUFC v Doncaster

Is 7 points ‘some way off’ in a season where 138 were available at the start of the season?
I guess it suits those with a ‘Robinson out’ agenda but although we just weren’t good enough at the end, I don’t feel like we fell that short.
We were competitive and generally really good until the crucial run-in,and fell more than two wins short. You could validly judge that a good effort or a disappointing one

I'm very old fashioned and would rather we didn't have playoffs and had 4 up 4 down across the divisions. That ship has sailed...

However, given there's only two auto promotion spots, that's what we should be targeting in my view. That means aiming at 90 points, looking at previous seasons' final tables.

On that measure, we were 14 points short. Still not a huge gulf, but picking up a few away draws won't cut it. I hope to see more clean sheets and a clutch of gritty 1-0 wins next season to replace some of those frustrating one goal margin defeats.

Got to get out of this 8 points from 5 game block mentality, that's never going to be enough, need to aim for automatic promotion, and then if we fall a few points short we should still be in the play offs, and in with a chance

Yes, if you're going to go down this 5 game block route, I think you need to target 10 points or more, 9 as an occasional absolute minimum. W3 D1 L1 = 10 pts, W2 D3 = 9 pts, W3 L2 = 9 pts and so on. I recall Ian Atkins speaking of 8 pts for playoffs and 9 for auto but those numbers are not enough in L1 these days.

Yes, if you're going to go down this 5 game block route, I think you need to target 10 points or more, 9 as an occasional absolute minimum. W3 D1 L1 = 10 pts, W2 D3 = 9 pts, W3 L2 = 9 pts and so on. I recall Ian Atkins speaking of 8 pts for playoffs and 9 for auto but those numbers are not enough in L1 these days.
Yes Trevor. Make it simple and aim for 2 points per game. Hit that target and you're up!! Would take a bit of doing but Wigan did it this season.

Is 7 points ‘some way off’ in a season where 138 were available at the start of the season?
Yes.

It's far more meaningful to look at the points we got, rather than the points a perfect team could have got.

We got 76, meaning we needed 9.2% more to sneak into the playoffs on goal difference.

At 1.652 points per game, we could have played four games more than the teams around us and still not made the last play off spot.

Being nearly 10% better in football is a lot. Doncaster, Wimbledon and Gillingham all would have stayed up with a similar percentage improvement. Rotherham would have been champions. MK Dons, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland and even Wycombe would have all gone up automatically with 9% more points.

I don't know about the lack of a break, either. We didn't play a competitive match between 21 May and 7 August this year (generously describing the Blackpool game as competitive). Similarly from 13 July 2020 to 5 September 2020, and from 7 March 2020 to 3 July 2020.

Are we really saying that the three games we played more than anyone else 2 years ago are continuing to be relevant to us not getting promoted?

Yes.

It's far more meaningful to look at the points we got, rather than the points a perfect team could have got.

We got 76, meaning we needed 9.2% more to sneak into the playoffs on goal difference.

At 1.652 points per game, we could have played four games more than the teams around us and still not made the last play off spot.

Being nearly 10% better in football is a lot. Doncaster, Wimbledon and Gillingham all would have stayed up with a similar percentage improvement. Rotherham would have been champions. MK Dons, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland and even Wycombe would have all gone up automatically with 9% more points.

I don't know about the lack of a break, either. We didn't play a competitive match between 21 May and 7 August this year (generously describing the Blackpool game as competitive). Similarly from 13 July 2020 to 5 September 2020, and from 7 March 2020 to 3 July 2020.

Are we really saying that the three games we played more than anyone else 2 years ago are continuing to be relevant to us not getting promoted?

@RgYellows, there, putting their faith in actual facts. It simply won't wash around here.

I guess it suits those with a ‘Robinson out’ agenda but although we just weren’t good enough at the end, I don’t feel like we fell that short.
If we’d had a genie come to us and give us three magical results changes:

1) That game against Morecambe where we absolutely battered them in awful weather and deserved a win? Granted!

2) A late goal against Sunderland to give us a draw? Done!

3) A win on the final day against Doncaster? Sorted

It still wouldn’t have been enough…

That’s what I meant by ‘some way off’, it’s not like if only one or two results had gone our way, even if a number had on that poor run at the end it wouldn’t have made any difference

It's a bit like being slightly pregnant.

And, I suspect the vast majority of posters on here have only 1 agenda - to see our team playing well, winning and being successful in reaching the next level. Especially now we have a strong wealthy board that can support that ambition.

Yes.

Also, this season we were knocked out of all the cup competitions at an early stage. As a consequence our squad had many fewer games than some of the teams around us. KR said after the defeat at Rovers that the focus was now on playoffs/promotion as there were no other distractions. I know there were some injuries but all teams have them. He had an imbalanced squad but never really fixed it when he had the chance. That for me is the main reason we 'fizzled' out.

It's been a bad 3 months poor finish to the season poor recruitment and defence looking the same needs to change very quickly a relatively reasonable looking start for us but if we start bad I can see a change. Maybe that's what's being lined up who knows. I hope qe get it sorted and start well but not alot of good vibes about the club at the minute.

It's been a bad 3 months poor finish to the season poor recruitment and defence looking the same needs to change very quickly a relatively reasonable looking start for us but if we start bad I can see a change. Maybe that's what's being lined up who knows. I hope qe get it sorted and start well but not alot of good vibes about the club at the minute.
Was that meant for this thread?

Back
Top Bottom