Home Match Day Thread 30/04/2022 L1: OUFC v Doncaster

There was plenty to encourage fans back. The players spending time with so many fans, giving away shirts etc. Seeing a couple of promising youth players coming through etc.

The fact that the first game in 3 years that didn't really matter was a little flat would have little bearing on attendance.

And yes, in answer to @jal I do have a more positive outlook than some. I'm not blaming today or events of two years ago, but am saying that one below par game after everything is excusable. There have been people saying that players weren't trying or didn't care, and that simply rubbish.

And as for @dickwalton1964 showing up with his usual negativity. I was there. One of more than 9000 for a game you said only 5/6000 would bother with!

We all do support Oxford, but sadly some have lost sight of why!
It’s not the first game in 3 years that’s been flat, there have been others, but when the manager makes comments about this being the start of the rebuilding for next season then we play like that then that’s not what I expect.

Throwing a few shirts/scarfs etc means diddly squat, it’s performances and results that ultimately bring the punters throw the doors and that was poor/disappointing.

I really want Karl to succeed, but I really don’t think he’s capable of taking us to the next level as he get too emotionally involved.

Yes, he can say things along the lines of ‘the fans have been great’ etc, but that will wear thin and most fans will see right through these comments if the performances/results don’t happen next season.

Let’s hope he’s truly learnt and gets in athletic/strong players next season

It’s not the first game in 3 years that’s been flat, there have been others, but when the manager makes comments about this being the start of the rebuilding for next season then we play like that then that’s not what I expect.

Throwing a few shirts/scarfs etc means diddly squat, it’s performances and results that ultimately bring the punters throw the doors and that was poor/disappointing.

I really want Karl to succeed, but I really don’t think he’s capable of taking us to the next level as he get too emotionally involved.

Yes, he can say things along the lines of ‘the fans have been great’ etc, but that will wear thin and most fans will see right through these comments if the performances/results don’t happen next season.

Let’s hope he’s truly learnt and gets in athletic/strong players next season

"This being the start of rebuilding" isn't exactly the same as "this will be the manner of our play once we've rebuilt". He wanted to look at a couple of our younger players, one of whom did extremely well (with one or two minor [!] aberrations) and take an extended look at both Bodin and Willo. And that, my friend is just what he did. So the result (and the game) wasn't exactly what we'd have liked, but it's just the start of rebuilding, right?

"This being the start of rebuilding" isn't exactly the same as "this will be the manner of our play once we've rebuilt". He wanted to look at a couple of our younger players, one of whom did extremely well (with one or two minor [!] aberrations) and take an extended look at both Bodin and Willo. And that, my friend is just what he did. So the result (and the game) wasn't exactly what we'd have liked, but it's just the start of rebuilding, right?
Even Karl alluded that the performance was poor.

Yes, great to see a couple of youngsters playing, but it was disappointing from a tempo perspective with many players going through the motions which Karl said beforehand wouldn’t be the case.

But the additional comments I’m making came from responses to my initial comment which was to say it was a poor performance which was disappointing.

Anyway, let’s see if Karl has finally learnt and that we have a great transfer window in the summer (plus January if required), and a great season next season ultimately ending in promotion.

Most teams weren't involved in back to back playoffs which significantly reduced time away from the game. But that aside, we weren't particularly poor today.
The rose tinted specs are making you blind.

We were awful against one of the division’s worst teams. They, for their part, were better than I expected them to be and I thought they deserved a point.

Given the circumstances around the game, I wasn’t particularly surprised at how it unfolded and nor was I bothered.

The rose tinted specs are making you blind.

We were awful against one of the division’s worst teams. They, for their part, were better than I expected them to be and I thought they deserved a point.

Given the circumstances around the game, I wasn’t particularly surprised at how it unfolded and nor was I bothered.
I wouldn't say Doncaster were one of the worst teams in the league strange I know as they got relegated as alluded to up the page I think a couple more games and they might have stayed up
On yesterday performance as I mentioned on a couple if pages back some players were trying some were on the beach it was a dead rubber obviously would have been nice to see us win but it wouldn't change much

There was plenty to encourage fans back. The players spending time with so many fans, giving away shirts etc. Seeing a couple of promising youth players coming through etc.

The fact that the first game in 3 years that didn't really matter was a little flat would have little bearing on attendance.

And yes, in answer to @jal I do have a more positive outlook than some. I'm not blaming today or events of two years ago, but am saying that one below par game after everything is excusable. There have been people saying that players weren't trying or didn't care, and that simply rubbish.

And as for @dickwalton1964 showing up with his usual negativity. I was there. One of more than 9000 for a game you said only 5/6000 would bother with!

We all do support Oxford, but sadly some have lost sight of why!

Just say it how it is, you can’t defend that yesterday - it was awful. Golding was a plus and good games by Long and Stevens but even our more consistent performers, the likes of Brannagan and Taylor, were off it.

Talking of Taylor, he needs some serious competition next season. When he’s bad my god he’s bad. Hi career with us seems littered with him scoring in batches and then 4 or 5 game runs where he doesn’t look like scoring.

Let’s get some perspective here

If we had a slight chance of something to play for, we would have seen a vastly different team out there.As KR said he was experimenting a bit so when I saw the team I knew we weren’t likely to see us play our normal game.
It didn't really bother me too much because I have seen us perform really well for so many games and this was always going to be a bit of a nothing game.

Onto next season and let’s hope KR learns from the mistakes in recruitment last year. In a 22 man squad I expect to see cover for every position. Too many wide players and not enough defensive cover this year.

Have a good summer

Looking forward to a few months away from football to recharge the batteries and get over the disappointment of falling short in the final few games of the season.

If my memory isn't deceiving me, I have really enjoyed the season on the whole. Looking at the teams above us and some of those below us, I personally think we have done well on much more restricted resources.

The crunch for KR is next season. Pressure is on to get us back into the playoffs, or better, in the face of another raft of tough sides. Personally, I am happy for him to have another season to see how he performs with some heavier financial backing.

Enjoy your close season all.

Last edited:
Just think he’s past it now and will be quite injury prone going forward now.

We need athletic/strong players and think he’s on the wrong side of this now.
He’s not injury prone in the sense of a player regularly being injured and be also being classed as a sick note

Let’s get some perspective here

If we had a slight chance of something to play for, we would have seen a vastly different team out there.As KR said he was experimenting a bit so when I saw the team I knew we weren’t likely to see us play our normal game.
It didn't really bother me too much because I have seen us perform really well for so many games and this was always going to be a bit of a nothing game.

Onto next season and let’s hope KR learns from the mistakes in recruitment last year. In a 22 man squad I expect to see cover for every position. Too many wide players and not enough defensive cover this year.

Have a good summer
Well expect to see them here next season as KR alluded to.

I heard that we’ve retracted the contract for Sykes so if he doesn’t get another club he’s got nothing from us to fall back on, he must have really pissed robbo off.

I heard that we’ve retracted the contract for Sykes so if he doesn’t get another club he’s got nothing from us to fall back on, he must have really pissed robbo off.
Ouch!

That's nothing new, if you refuse to sign a new deal the club has every right to retract their offer. Time to move on with this, Sykes while has been an asset to us the last 3 years hasn't made many friends at the club the last 6 months with the way he's acted. Brannagan, Moore, McNally all may move on and if they do I will wish them good luck. Sykes on the other hand I couldn't give a monkeys where he goes, OUFC are bigger than any player , we will find a replacement for him with ease.

Brannagans an example to any pro footballer, absolute professional, he’s had nothing but good words about the club the manager and the hierarchy. I know he’s had health issues and loves the fishing here but his attitude and playing abilities stand out, he must be a dream for robbo to manage.

Just think he’s past it now and will be quite injury prone going forward now.

We need athletic/strong players and think he’s on the wrong side of this now.
I'm sure I've heard this before, oh yeah Robinson said it after we lost to Blackpool in the playoffs last season.

The manager said we were poor after the game, and anyone who was there and claims we weren't is clearly on the wind up. Maybe, given the situation, it wasn't unexpected and there are perhaps reasons why it wasn't very good - but to maintain that it was anything other than a very disappointing display is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom