Tickets 10,000 v Accrington

We have had this chat periodically on here, about the demise of the ultras, what can we do, but it really needs addressing. I got hooked because of the London road atmosphere, not because Nick Cusack and Mark Druce enchanted me with their link up play.

Me and you the same, RO. I do sometimes wonder, though - are we just a vocal minority?

Was talking about this the other day, but if you look at the crowds at the Manor in 95/96 - the year when we got promoted from the third tier playing some scintillating football under Denis Smith - they averaged under 6,000 for the season. And despite the fact that we were in as tight a promotion battle with Blackpool as you could imagine, our penultimate home game of the season (that we won 6-0!) only attracted 5799 and we didn't even sell out the final game of the season, which was a 'win and you're up' scenario.

I know that crowds have grown since the mid-90s across the board, but I wonder if there isn't a silent majority of football fans that prefer a sanitized version of the game? Easy parking, nice cup of tea, good view of the game, have a natter with the fellow in the neighbouring seat then leave.....that sort of thing.

It's been, what, 22 seasons now at the Kasstad? So everybody knows that the atmosphere is likely to be flat (we can make some noise there - the playoff semi against Rushden is the one I remember best - but it's generally been a rarity) but we're still bringing in 10,500 for an end-of-season kickabout with Accrington.

Peterborough sold out. I know because I went to every home game (just a member) except that one which sold out before I got a ticket. I was playing cricket against Cheltenham college that day. I let through a tonne of byes as I was unfocused on the red leather.

I take your point on numbers but I think you’ve equated that with atmosphere being unimportant when in reality they’ve grown because the sport has become more popular. But that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t have grown even more at Oxford with a better atmosphere.

If the game gets so sanitized as Sunday I honestly won’t both anymore. It completely switched off my “emotion” button. I’ll go play fifa with additional crowd noise turned up

Atmosphere was brilliant at both the previous games though Otto. You picked the wrong game.

There wasn’t an edge on Sunday, for obvious reasons, and hence sanitisatilon followed.

[Like Eastwood following a thirty yarder into his net.]

Peterborough sold out. I know because I went to every home game (just a member) except that one which sold out before I got a ticket. I was playing cricket against Cheltenham college that day. I let through a tonne of byes as I was unfocused on the red leather.

I take your point on numbers but I think you’ve equated that with atmosphere being unimportant when in reality they’ve grown because the sport has become more popular. But that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t have grown even more at Oxford with a better atmosphere.

If the game gets so sanitized as Sunday I honestly won’t both anymore. It completely switched off my “emotion” button. I’ll go play fifa with additional crowd noise turned up
I was also playing cricket that day, opening bowler got four in four and an extremely annoying classmate of mine wore one in the plums after forgetting his box at home.

A good day all round.

I will happily concede on the Peterborough game - they must have brought practically no fans, though, because the total crowd was only 7535.
(the alternative is that Rageonline has the figure wrong, but this would just be so disturbing to my world view that I'm not going to accept it as being possible right now)

I wasn't at that one either - was also only a member at the time - though I was at the Swindon game a month or so earlier; not quite sure how we got tickets for that one?

I'm not saying that atmosphere is unimportant - just that it's only one factor for people alongside others such as comfort, view, accessibility etc. etc.
Those of us that fell in love with football on the London Road clearly don't care much about any of those things - the view was crap, parking was minimal and comfort?:LOL:
But I think quite a lot of others do. My parents, for example, would never ever have gone to a game at the Manor. But they happily turn up periodically to the Kasstad.

I will happily concede on the Peterborough game - they must have brought practically no fans, though, because the total crowd was only 7535.
(the alternative is that Rageonline has the figure wrong, but this would just be so disturbing to my world view that I'm not going to accept it as being possible right now)

I wasn't at that one either - was also only a member at the time - though I was at the Swindon game a month or so earlier; not quite sure how we got tickets for that one?

I'm not saying that atmosphere is unimportant - just that it's only one factor for people alongside others such as comfort, view, accessibility etc. etc.
Those of us that fell in love with football on the London Road clearly don't care much about any of those things - the view was crap, parking was minimal and comfort?:LOL:
But I think quite a lot of others do. My parents, for example, would never ever have gone to a game at the Manor. But they happily turn up periodically to the Kasstad.
At the Kas people moan about rusty loos.
In the London Road people didn't bother with loos. How expectations change!

I dr

I drove out of Oxford on Sunday through headington. That area looks to have gone down hill (irony of boys from up the hill) but it made me more melancholic to think of my memories , my dreams , and all the wonder of games. I don’t think I’ve ever recaptured that vibe and we’ve never been back to that level. It makes me dislike Robinson and Middleton even more!

I think you’re partly right. I just think there’s different audiences and a Venn diagram of people who like comfort, those who like atmosphere and those who like both. I sit in the atmosphere over everything, cram me into the away end at the dell or gay meadow and give me noise over the north stand family area

Let’s say comfort and good football brings 12000 fans.

I’d say a cracking cauldron of an atmosphere brings 15-16000. The ultras are missed by all.

I dr

I drove out of Oxford on Sunday through headington. That area looks to have gone down hill (irony of boys from up the hill) but it made me more melancholic to think of my memories , my dreams , and all the wonder of games. I don’t think I’ve ever recaptured that vibe and we’ve never been back to that level. It makes me dislike Robinson and Middleton even more!

I think you’re partly right. I just think there’s different audiences and a Venn diagram of people who like comfort, those who like atmosphere and those who like both. I sit in the atmosphere over everything, cram me into the away end at the dell or gay meadow and give me noise over the north stand family area

I’d say a cracking cauldron of an atmosphere brings 15-16000. The ultras are missed by all.

Should we get the new stadium, safer standing may well help.

I dr

I was in the London Road for those Peterborough and Shrewsbury games (not that I’m a very loud person), but now I’m older I do like SSL and some wry chats and snacks during the games. The club needs to make sure it’s attracting young folk to the east stand, which to me is neither comfortable nor exciting. Something to get right for the new stadium.

I was in the London Road for those Peterborough and Shrewsbury games (not that I’m a very loud person), but now I’m older I do like SSL and some wry chats and snacks during the games. The club needs to make sure it’s attracting young folk to the east stand, which to me is neither comfortable nor exciting. Something to get right for the new stadium.
theres a safe standing terrace factored in for the new stadium at the Triangle ( should planning n developments continue to conclusion) in the recent info released by the club- THAT would help a lot to attract younger folk IMO

Yeah, I agree.

Although for obvious reasons, I haven't been to many games lately......even when I was going very regularly in 2009-15, the Manor vibe was only ever really recreated away from home - and even then only occasionally. Though the ultras did their very best, as a fanbase we've never quite managed (at least not for extended spells) to overcome the challenges of making a cracking atmosphere at a crap, three-sided all-seater breeze block with rubbish acoustics.

But the attendances have gone up, which is what's brought on my idle musings about what really matters to the majority of fans.

Hopefully you're all right, and the Triangle will get built, will offer both atmosphere and comfort, and we'll fill it in the Championship every week!

Back
Top Bottom