Dot Counting 10,000 for Exeter

Attendance tracking
Ah, the Cameron Brannagan Derby. Inflatable fish and fishing rods all round. Can't wait.

I am riding into the ground in a donkey while off my head on spice in an attempt to make the Seasiders feel at home, trying to build bridges after Brannagan turned them down and they upset us by getting Joseph for a free £2 million quid transfer.

One point worth noting is that last 2 seasons we have averaged around 8400 at home. The first 4 games this season has seen an average of around 8900.

I appreciate that we've yet to have some wet Tuesday night games against poorly supported clubs, but we've also not had a traditionally big game either.

We need to see support growing year on year over these next year seasons ready for the new stadium and should certainly be looking to exceed 9000 this year. This is why it's important that collectively we look at ways that we can all think of ways to encourage more fans to games.

Personally I think Bristol rovers and Wycombe should be looking at a sell out for home fans traditionally both games sell well ... I think promoting the Blackpool game to make that 10k plus is a great idea

@holdsteady I really want to know how you are going to get in to a donkey? On a donkey I can understand but in a donkey

Our next home games are Shrewsbury on a Tuesday night, Bristol Rovers with a lunchtime kick off, Blackpool and Wycombe. Bristol Rovers and Wycombe should have decent crowds anyway, so should we look at promoting the Blackpool game to try to get to 10k?

It's the first weekend of half term so could maybe look at making it a family friendly game with things on pre-game to get kids involved? I'm happy to raise this with @OUSP Secretary and @OxVox to see how we can all give a game like this a push.

That's not to say that we shouldn't look to encourage others at every game, but some will benefit more from extra marketing.
I think all home games should be promoted.

Forget the undergraduates and promote cheaper tickets for local schools and their families in the vicinities. B/leys, Rose Hill, Cowley, St Ebbes, Barton, Wood Farm and Donnington would be a starting point etc.

This could also be rolled out look in Cuttleslowe and a couple of the primaries in Kidlington area also. It is pretty easy to find the demographics and affluence levels of these schools.

Forget the undergraduates and promote cheaper tickets for local schools and their families in the vicinities. B/leys, Rose Hill, Cowley, St Ebbes, Barton, Wood Farm and Donnington would be a starting point etc.

This could also be rolled out look in Cuttleslowe and a couple of the primaries in Kidlington area also. It is pretty easy to find the demographics and affluence levels of these schools.

Why can't both be done?

It can be but it is more likely that local children and their families are much more likely to become 'hooked' like I was all those years ago. As Sarge commented they (the students) really weren't interested were they? Grass roots and nutrition by way of subsidised tickets is the way forward, forward.

The students at the East Stand end were interested and had spent money on scarves.

Future fans are future fans, no matter where they come from. We already do deals with lots of schools and football clubs, and we should certainly continue to do so.

But no reason why we shouldn't also look to the universities, local employers and introduce blue light discount for the hospitals and emergency service workers too.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Has the club chose which 2 games us season ticket holders can bring along another person for half price yet?

Has the club chose which 2 games us season ticket holders can bring along another person for half price yet?

I'd forgotten about this. From a cynical marketing approach, I'd go with Burton on 16th December (and potentially doubled up with discounts in the club shop to maximise pre-Christmas sales) and Cheltenham on 9th March to encourage an end of season drive.

These are two games that wouldn't naturally attract people with smaller opposition numbers.

I know there's a limit on how many deals can be done throughout a season, but the Blackpool game on 21st October and Leyton Orient on 24th February both happen during school half terms and would be great games to do Kid for a Quid type deals.

The students at the East Stand end were interested and had spent money on scarves.

Future fans are future fans, no matter where they come from. We already do deals with lots of schools and football clubs, and we should certainly continue to do so.

But no reason why we shouldn't also look to the universities, local employers and introduce blue light discount for the hospitals and emergency service workers too.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Really. Lidl has it right...when it's gone it's gone.

When these students have had their fill and left the area their fill is filled. Plesse don't keep saying future fans are future fans no matter where they come because that is nonsense. You may have half a percent of an undergrad staying for the long term supporting the club and by supporting the club = buying a season ticket year upon year. Analytics will support doing the job in your own territory first and foremost. The club needs to improve who they target and that is sacrosanct. I've no problem with targeting anyone but data would say home targeting is always your very important port of call.

When these students have had their fill and left the area their fill is filled. Plesse don't keep saying future fans are future fans no matter where they come because that is nonsense. You may have half a percent of an undergrad staying for the long term supporting the club and by supporting the club = buying a season ticket year upon year. Analytics will support doing the job in your own territory first and foremost. The club needs to improve who they target and that is sacrosanct. I've no problem with targeting anyone but data would say home targeting is always your very important port of call.

That's why you target both!

A student getting a reduced cost ticket at a freshers event turns up to the Exeter game and likes what they see. They come to half a dozen more games this season, a dozen next, and a season ticket for their final year. That's a lot of money the club has made off the back of one promotion.

They may not return in the fourth year, or may come less frequently, but they maybe replaced by the new cohort of freshers who have had similar journeys in previous years.

At the same time we can continue to build links within our communities through schools and sports groups, and hoping that some of these become Oxford fans for life.

Analysis will show that there's room for both!

This post makes so much sense. I was never ever targeted by OUFC in my 14 years in the education cycle within Oxfordshire, I now work for a white collar huge local company and I have been there 4 years and I have never ever seen or heard anyone from OUFC promote anything through us and we are no more than 2 miles from the ground. The club really need to tap in to their local community to win the long term fans.

Local hospital trusts.
BMW.
Unipart
Bus company
OUP
City Council
County Council

Just a few, off the top of my noggin, who should/could be targeted for deals to "hook locals".

This post makes so much sense. I was never ever targeted by OUFC in my 14 years in the education cycle within Oxfordshire, I now work for a white collar huge local company and I have been there 4 years and I have never ever seen or heard anyone from OUFC promote anything through us and we are no more than 2 miles from the ground. The club really need to tap in to their local community to win the long term fans.

Please don't take this personally, but what have you done to promote games?

You joined this forum 6 years ago, so you're clearly an established fan. You work a couple of miles from the ground for a huge company. That company will presumably have a reception, one or multiple staff rooms, staff noticeboards, internal email systems etc. Have you looked to encourage people to games? Are there posters up to promote the next game? Have you looked at contacting the club to get a corporate discount for 20 or more tickets for one game? Get a box or sponsor a player?

You may have done all of this, in which case, thank you. But maybe none of this has happened, and this is why these threads are really important.

This is not about pointing a finger at the club and asking what they have done. There's plenty of threads for that sort of thing. This is about how we, as ordinary fans, can encourage others to come to games and hopefully return week after week.

Never underestimate the power that we as a fanbase have of selling our club to others.

Good attendance yesterday. It definitely feels like the 9/10k crowds are becoming more of a frequent occurrence.

That said, did anyone else think that the crowd was particularly quiet? Other than 'Yellow Submarine' I honestly can't recall a song being sung.

Good attendance yesterday. It definitely feels like the 9/10k crowds are becoming more of a frequent occurrence.

That said, did anyone else think that the crowd was particularly quiet? Other than 'Yellow Submarine' I honestly can't recall a song being sung.

I believe that a few of the more vocal fans were away on a stag do! That said, I sometimes think that simple is best. If you've got new fans, then trying to join in with Yellow Submarine is hard work until the end, and by then it's over! "Yellows" or "Liam Manning's Yellow Army" may not be particularly original, but you get far more people joining in.

Back
Top Bottom