Dot Counting 10,000 for Exeter

Attendance tracking
Personally I think Bristol rovers and Wycombe should be looking at a sell out for home fans traditionally both games sell well ... I think promoting the Blackpool game to make that 10k plus is a great idea

@holdsteady I really want to know how you are going to get in to a donkey? On a donkey I can understand but in a donkey
Sell-outs just prove the fact we need a bigger stadium. Really pleasing to see the club is in so much of a better place than it was last season - a large part of that seems like thanks to Liam Manning.

Let's pack out grenoble road this season 🙂

Good attendance yesterday. It definitely feels like the 9/10k crowds are becoming more of a frequent occurrence.

That said, did anyone else think that the crowd was particularly quiet? Other than 'Yellow Submarine' I honestly can't recall a song being sung.
Don’t know if you were at the game but on the right side of the East Stand is an increasing number of younger vocal supporters who always try and get songs going, and yesterday was no different, apart from a spell in the middle of the game when everyone feared the inevitable equaliser, they were at it all game. Trust me, yesterday was not the quietest game.

Don’t know if you were at the game but on the right side of the East Stand is an increasing number of younger vocal supporters who always try and get songs going, and yesterday was no different, apart from a spell in the middle of the game when everyone feared the inevitable equaliser, they were at it all game. Trust me, yesterday was not the quietest game.
Also a few out of order comments from a small minority of them

I think the University student potential is being massively over-played here - surely they're either supporters of other clubs already, or not supporters of football at all?

I went to Uni in a city with a Football League club and went to only two games in my 3 years - both times because OUFC were the visitors.

I appreciate, capacity allowing, it's not an either/or, but I wouldn't want to alienate our current or future fanbase by subsidising tickets for a group that offers us very little going forward.

Kids are the future. And I talk from very personal experience. My support of OUFC was built almost exclusively on excellent community work in the 90s - in the backwaters of Oxfordshire. A ticket to a game with primary school in the Osler Road seats, then another in the Beech Road with a sausage and chip meal. Attending an OUFC 'soccer course' at the local secondary school during the summer holidays (with Chrissy Allen coming down one day to sign our OUFC branded soccer course t-shirts).

I was a kid, in Oxfordshire, who loved football. At an age where you're not conscious of who or what your local club is. The community work gave me a link to my local club that I genuinely may not have made organically.

I went to the courses, I went to games with school. My best friends dad (reluctantly) took those of us who enjoyed it to a couple more games. One or two of us were absolutely mesmerised by the sounds, the smells, the passion. As soon as we were old enough we went on our own - in the London Road.

30 years later here we are.

Oxford Brookes students from Surrey are not the future of this football club. The football mad kids of Wallingford, Thame, Watlington, Wantage, Didcot, Abingdon, Witney, Bicester, Wheatley, Banbury, Kidlington - and every village inbetween, are.

It’s been the same all season. Away crowd is still very noisy, though.

Were they, genuinely the drum drowned out anything else from them from what I could hear in the East Stand?

There was plenty of Liam Manning's Army and all that but I guess it didn't sound much to the other stands. Another reason to hope the new stadium gets built as the Kassam is rubbish for keeping the noise in.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Were they, genuinely the drum drowned out anything else from them from what I could hear in the East Stand?

There was plenty of Liam Manning's Army and all that but I guess it didn't sound much to the other stands. Another reason to hope the new stadium gets built as the Kassam is rubbish for keeping the noise in.

I meant that our fans are loud away from home. Thats to be expected, but given the teams results, they’re not getting a lot of backing from the home stands.

I agree that it's pretty quiet right now. I'm not sure why really as this team is probably the best for getting on 20 yrs.

I don't want to criticise, but where on earth have the singers gone?! I used to be one but sit and watch more now adays with family.

We have to address this because there will be times when the team will need us to be vocal.

Saying all of the above, I've got a feeling that it will improve as folk begin to realise that we are mint.

I meant that our fans are loud away from home. Thats to be expected, but given the teams results, they’re not getting a lot of backing from the home stands.

Tbf as said there was chanting yesterday but unless far more get involved it disappears out of ground.

I think the University student potential is being massively over-played here - surely they're either supporters of other clubs already, or not supporters of football at all?

I went to Uni in a city with a Football League club and went to only two games in my 3 years - both times because OUFC were the visitors.

I appreciate, capacity allowing, it's not an either/or, but I wouldn't want to alienate our current or future fanbase by subsidising tickets for a group that offers us very little going forward.

Kids are the future. And I talk from very personal experience. My support of OUFC was built almost exclusively on excellent community work in the 90s - in the backwaters of Oxfordshire. A ticket to a game with primary school in the Osler Road seats, then another in the Beech Road with a sausage and chip meal. Attending an OUFC 'soccer course' at the local secondary school during the summer holidays (with Chrissy Allen coming down one day to sign our OUFC branded soccer course t-shirts).

I was a kid, in Oxfordshire, who loved football. At an age where you're not conscious of who or what your local club is. The community work gave me a link to my local club that I genuinely may not have made organically.

I went to the courses, I went to games with school. My best friends dad (reluctantly) took those of us who enjoyed it to a couple more games. One or two of us were absolutely mesmerised by the sounds, the smells, the passion. As soon as we were old enough we went on our own - in the London Road.

30 years later here we are.

Oxford Brookes students from Surrey are not the future of this football club. The football mad kids of Wallingford, Thame, Watlington, Wantage, Didcot, Abingdon, Witney, Bicester, Wheatley, Banbury, Kidlington - and every village inbetween, are.

Terrific post. Wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts.

Have I missed something or have our university students done something to upset a few people on here…?!
Target everyone from every walk of life and background and you maximise your numbers attending games. It’s as simple as that.

100%

No one has suggested that we should only look at the Uni's. The club is already engaging with the schools and no one has suggested that we're somehow giving up on the football made kids around the county. It's already free for under 7's to sit in the family stand with under 13's only a fiver in advance. Plus there are the free tickets given to those waving flags before the game and family days throughout the season - including a family away say this Saturday.

We also have reduced rates for 18-24 year olds and students to help encourage younger people to come and become our future fans.

But we also need to look at the here and now. We already have thousands of casual fans that go to several games a season, or even just your Boxing Day and Pompey games. We need to encourage some of these to go more frequently, even if they are a long way from becoming season ticket holders. We also have thousands who follow our results, maybe have watched some of the big games on TV, bit haven't been to a game. We need to get them along.

We will also know people who follow other teams but rarely go to games. Friends, family, work colleagues, people down the pub. Why not get them along? A couple of seasons ago I nagged some people at work to go to the Sheffield Wednesday game. They loved it and came back for Pompey a couple of weeks later. One was an ever present for the rest of that season and went to 8 or 9 games last season and 3 home games this season. Others have gone to at least 5 or 6 games since then and will be at the Bristol Rovers game.

These 10k games being promoted on here are not about finding the perfect marketing plan for all time. They are about us all spreading the word and encouraging people to come and see for themselves what Oxford United are all about. Some may not sing. Some may leave a few minutes early. Some may have to get up to P**s 15 times whilst buying one of everything from the kiosks (sorry @Sarge )

Based on national averages, nearly half of those Brookes students aren’t from Surrey - they’re Oxfordshire residents who live at home, are still in their formative years and temporarily cash poor.

University students also stay after they graduate. London was obviously the best at retaining graduates (over 75% stayed to work in the city) but Manchester and Birmingham both kept around 50% of students after graduation and the likes of Swansea over 30%.

The Oxford students of today are Oxfordshire parents of tomorrow. Better they have a couple of positive experiences of the club early on, before Little Timmy asks to use his free ticket from school.

In the more immediate term, a discounted student ticket provides more cash for the club than an unsold ticket or even a free school one.

Based on national averages, nearly half of those Brookes students aren’t from Surrey - they’re Oxfordshire residents who live at home, are still in their formative years and temporarily cash poor.

University students also stay after they graduate. London was obviously the best at retaining graduates (over 75% stayed to work in the city) but Manchester and Birmingham both kept around 50% of students after graduation and the likes of Swansea over 30%.

The Oxford students of today are Oxfordshire parents of tomorrow. Better they have a couple of positive experiences of the club early on, before Little Timmy asks to use his free ticket from school.

In the more immediate term, a discounted student ticket provides more cash for the club than an unsold ticket or even a free school one.

Yeah, but students.

A few students came in just before half time asking the Stewards where there seats were, which were right hand corner in the Jim Smith stand

These 10k threads have always got a little binary, and I'm not sure why.

Should we look to develop support from children throughout the county? Absolutely!

Should we engage with our universities? Yep, and freshers week is a great place to start.

Should we look at supporting staff from our fantastic hospital trusts? Definitely, and I didn't realise that we already offer blue light discount for them and other emergency services.

Should we engage with big local businesses? Yes, not just to grow our fanbase but to develop wider commercial links.

How about other community groups? We already have some outreach work going on but need to do more.

There is room for all, and every approach needs to be encouraged and developed. And it's not only on the club to do this, but all of us help spread the word about our experiences in watching live football. If your kids go to a school that isn't already supported in some capacity by the club then find out why and get the Head to contact the club. If you're involved with any of our public services then see if we're promoting blue light discount in your workplace? Equally if you're in one of our big (or small) local businesses, why not ask if you can promote upcoming fixtures?

Of course the club can do more, they're far from perfect in their marketing and promotional work despite recent improvements. But we will always have a much louder voice collectively than the club will have alone.

Analyse whatever marketing schemes you want (hamstrung of course by an underwhelming stadium experience), ultimately when the team is doing well you'll have more people there, and when we're playing awful people will find better things to do with their money.

Nobody would have opened a 10,000 for Exeter thread if we had been pumped in the opening games and were fifth bottom.

Analyse whatever marketing schemes you want (hamstrung of course by an underwhelming stadium experience), ultimately when the team is doing well you'll have more people there, and when we're playing awful people will find better things to do with their money.

Nobody would have opened a 10,000 for Exeter thread if we had been pumped in the opening games and were fifth bottom.

That's true, but even when we've been playing well we've still seen relatively few crowds of 10k.

Last season the football wasn't great by any means, and we averaged 8393. The season before ultimately ended in us failing to make the playoffs, but we were looking good for a lot of that season with several big games and last minute winners. We still only averaged 8463.

Massively over simplistic, but the difference between good and bad football was only 70 people per game.

We should now be targeting an average of over 9000, which means that we can't just rely on playing good football alone. Of course it helps, but that's even more reason to be making hay whilst the sun shines.

Back
Top Bottom