Dot Counting 10,000 - Charlton Game?

Attendance tracking
Charlton 2 Port Vale 3

Some terrible Charlton defending here. Right back Fankaty Dabo played for Charlton U.21’s today as a trialist.

Good afternoon Yellows, I just thought I'd make a post and introduce myself ahead of the game as I may end up bumping into a few of you.

I am a Charlton fan making my first trip to the Kassam Stadium. I have a few things I want to ask. What is it like getting to your ground? I'll be opting to drive as the trains seem to be a bit infrequent and I don't want to be rushing around, is there any good parking facilities etc?

The second part is, from your knowledge what are the attractions nearby in walking distance to your stadium? The reason I ask is I started my own vlogging channel following Charltons season about 2 weeks back and will be doing a dedicated vlog to the fixture. I intend to post a few snippets of attractions nearby or statues etc. At Charlton we have the Sam Bartram statue and the Museum, what would you like to see associated with your club if you were to see footage from an opposing fans view?

That's about it really, my channel is www.YouTube.com/@Braziliance

The last couple of vids and Newport are sort of how I plan on doing my videos (Port Vale in particular). I am really excited for my visit here and ticking a new ground plus getting some good shots of the ground etc.

The video will be up on the Saturday late or Sunday for anyone interested and of course if anyone is happy to chat drop me a DM or something cause I'll probably be approaching a few of you to try and get a pre-match talk about the game.

All that said, I ain't expecting much on the football results side of things. You lot seem a real bogey side for us especially away & you seem to have started the season strong.

Last edited:
Good afternoon Yellows, I just thought I'd make a post and introduce myself ahead of the game as I may end up bumping into a few of you.

I am a Charlton fan making my first trip to the Kassam Stadium. I have a few things I want to ask. What is it like getting to your ground? I'll be opting to drive as the trains seem to be a bit infrequent and I don't want to be rushing around, is there any good parking facilities etc?

The second part is, from your knowledge what are the attractions nearby in walking distance to your stadium? The reason I ask is I started my own vlogging channel following Charltons season about 2 weeks back and will be doing a dedicated vlog to the fixture. I intend to post a few snippets of attractions nearby or statues etc. At Charlton we have the Sam Bartram statue and the Museum, what would you like to see associated with your club if you were to see footage from an opposing fans view?

The last couple of vids and Newport are sort of how I plan on doing my videos (Port Vale in particular). I am really excited for my visit here and ticking a new ground plus getting some good shots of the ground etc.

The video will be up on the Saturday late or Sunday for anyone interested and of course if anyone is happy to chat drop me a DM or something cause I'll probably be approaching a few of you to try and get a pre-match talk about the game.

All that said, I ain't expecting much on the football results side of things. You lot seem a real bogey side for us especially away & you seem to have started the season strong.

Hi, the ground is poorly located and has limited public transport links. There is ample parking at the stadium, but it can take a long time to get out after the match. If I was an away fan visiting Oxford, I would travel to the City Centre (perhaps park at one of the many P&Rs), stop off at a few pubs and then get a bus or taxi to the ground at around 2pm.

In terms of activities near the ground, how about a bit of bowling? Or perhaps you could catch Barbie at the Vue?

In all seriousness there's not a lot else to do near to the ground. There are a few pubs located semi-close by. We often walk to the Kings Arms, which is located in Sandford-on-Thames, which is a nice spot for a pre-match pint, but bear in mind it is a 20-25 min walk back to the stadium.

It is worth mentioning that the stadium is not owned by OUFC. It is owned by Firoz Kassam, our former owner. He has served the club notice and we are currently facing the prospect of being homeless in 2026. The club are, therefore, hoping to build a new stadium on a site known at the 'Triangle', located near to Oxford Parkway railway station. The club is facing opposition from a vocal minority of residents of the nearby large town of Kidlington, though. In September we are due to receive a decision from the County Council as to whether or not we can progress to planning stage. You can find more information, here: https://oufcstadium.co.uk/background/

Something to consider mentioning in your vlog?

Regarding the match itself, we are certainly on the up after a slightly wobbly start. I think both teams will look to play on the front foot, so we should be in for an exciting match, with OUFC eventually scoring a 90+14 minute winner to make it 6-5.

Last edited:

Welcome! I can give you a very quick summary. A horrible, soulless three sided concrete dump. Terrible transport links. Revolting toilets. Pitiful catering. Owned by a former owner of the club who charges us a lot of money and blocks pretty much any attempt to make the matchday experience less miserable. We dislike him as much as you dislike Duchalet.The day we leave can't come too soon enough .Personally, I'd go to a pub in the city centre and come out as close to kick off as you can.

Welcome! I can give you a very quick summary. A horrible, soulless three sided concrete dump. Terrible transport links. Revolting toilets. Pitiful catering. Owned by a former owner of the club who charges us a lot of money and blocks pretty much any attempt to make the matchday experience less miserable. We dislike him as much as you dislike Duchalet.The day we leave can't come too soon enough .Personally, I'd go to a pub in the city centre and come out as close to kick off as you can.

Also plenty of culture; museums, College Harry Potter filming site tours, the castle etc in the centre.

I had no idea things were this bad at the ground! I am reading a lot of this now, thanks for informing me, will certainly explore the option of the City and then venture in later for the shots of the ground

In regards to Barbie, I don't see much point in watching it for the 10th time 😂

Is this pub away fan friendly? Will be sure to check this link, for what it's worth I really hope things work out in regards to getting permission, I fully understand what's it's like having poor owners and poor decisions being made.

Will definitely give it a mention,

I am dreading the result, we won't keep a clean sheet, no way and I can't see us scoring 2 away, I'm gonna say 3-1 or 4-1 Oxford.

Thank you for the well informed post

Bloody hell! Will certainly keep this in mind. I plan on arriving fairly early so should have plenty of time to get to the ground etc.

Sorry to hear it's that unenjoyable at home for yous because I know you are a vocal bunch who back your team away, it's rubbish having so much uncertainty around your club

Might give the Harry Potter site tours a go, Charlton could do with a bit of magic

Bloody hell! Will certainly keep this in mind. I plan on arriving fairly early so should have plenty of time to get to the ground etc.

Sorry to hear it's that unenjoyable at home for yous because I know you are a vocal bunch who back your team away, it's rubbish having so much uncertainty around your club

Might give the Harry Potter site tours a go, Charlton could do with a bit of magic

Christchurch College really push their link.

And with Christchurch if you want a nice walk, the grounds are free, regardless of doing a tour or not. So you can walk along the River Cherwell until it joins the River Thames then loop back along the Thames and back into the Christchurch's immediate grounds. Go the other way along the River Cherwell from Christchurch and you come out near the Botanical Gardens (worth a look if you like things like that). Radcliffe Camera is nearby there as well. Also close by is the Examination Halls, if they are open to the public, then the painting/ceiling paintings in the exam halls themselves are well worth a look.

Last edited:

Theres a largeish free carpark at the ground - an eyesore with 3 stands and a fence , its in near slum conditions .
The a Statue of a Bronze Raging Ox in the car park. Car park starts filling up from 1pmish- its shared with the Bowlplex & Vue multi screen cinemas on the same site- Frankie n Bennys, The Oxy and a sports bar are also there. All uninspiring

Public transport is almost non existant to the ground. (It is Not ours and we've had notice served)... most the sights etc are in the City Centre, and ridiculously expensive to park ( £13.60 for two hours) if you can find a space free- driving from the City Centre to the breeze block could take ages thanks to speed restrictions on both Cowley rd and Iffley road and of course the controversial LTNS

If you want a bit of 'local' history of sorts, in Headington Theres the shark in the roof of a house , ( I think its still there), The Britaniana pub, where Headington FC were formed in 1893 ( Blue Plaque commemorating that) Headington FC, became Headington Utd then Oxford United they Played at the Manor Ground for many years ( now a private hospital, the old driveway entrance to what was the London Rd End at the Manor is next to a Shell Fuel station , opposite The Britannia pub) ... if you have time after visiting Headington, you could pop into Risinghurst off the Ring Road, still technically part of Headington, Where CS Lewis' cottage is off Kiln Lane in Lewis Close - though you can only see it from outside, not actually have a walk round

There really isn't anything of much note in walking distance of the soul less breeze block

I would recommend The pre match Buffet at The Blackbird, however this season it appears to be home fans only in there this season?

Catherine Wheel or George in Littlemore are probably the closest pubs ( excluding The Blackbird)

Hope some of that is helpful

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom