Dot Counting 10,000 - Charlton Game?

Attendance tracking
Theres a largeish free carpark at the ground - an eyesore with 3 stands and a fence , its in near slum conditions .
The a Statue of a Bronze Raging Ox in the car park. Car park starts filling up from 1pmish- its shared with the Cowlplex & multi screen cinemas on the same site

Public transport is almost non existant ... most the sights etc are in the City Centre, ridiculously expensive to park ( £13.60 for two hours) if you can find a space free- driving from the City Centre to the breeze block could take ages thanks to speed restrictions on both cowley rd and iffley road and of course the controversial LTNS

If you want a bit of 'local' history of sorts, in Headington Theres the shark in the roof , ( I think its still there) The Britaniana pub, where Headington FC were formed in 1893 ( Blue Plaue commemorating that) Headington FC, later Headington Utd then Oxford United Played at the Manor Ground ( now a private hospital, the old driveway entrance to what was the London Rd End at the Manor is next to a Shell Fuel station , opposite The Britannia pub ... if you have time after visiting Headington, you could pop into Risinghurst off the Ring Road, Where CS Lewis' cottage is off Kiln Lane in Lewis Close -

There really isn't anything of much note in walking distance of the soul less breeze block -

I would recommend The pre match Buffet at The Blackbird, however this season it appears to be home fans only in there

Hope some of that is helpful

The Shark is still there. There is also Cromwell's House in Marston:

I had no idea things were this bad at the ground! I am reading a lot of this now, thanks for informing me, will certainly explore the option of the City and then venture in later for the shots of the ground

In regards to Barbie, I don't see much point in watching it for the 10th time 😂

Is this pub away fan friendly? Will be sure to check this link, for what it's worth I really hope things work out in regards to getting permission, I fully understand what's it's like having poor owners and poor decisions being made.

Will definitely give it a mention,

I am dreading the result, we won't keep a clean sheet, no way and I can't see us scoring 2 away, I'm gonna say 3-1 or 4-1 Oxford.

Thank you for the well informed post
I love the idea of a Charlton fan who’s seen Barbie nine times! I expect most Millwall fans are only on their second viewing.

For some reason we always seem to beat you, even last season when we were dreadful we pulled out a rare good performance at the Kassam

Also if you are interested, the Iffley Road running track is where Sir Roger Bannister ran the first sub-4min mile.

Also if you are interested, the Iffley Road running track is where Sir Roger Bannister ran the first sub-4min mile.
theres a sign marking that a
occasion/ achievement on the railings next to /near to the running track on Iffley road ( if memory serves)

Last edited:
All these lovely parts of Oxford until you get close to the stadium (if you can call it that) then you get the smell from the sewage works and you realise how s**t the stadium is ... Oh role on 2026

All these lovely parts of Oxford until you get close to the stadium (if you can call it that) then you get the smell from the sewage works and you realise how s**t the stadium is ... Oh role on 2026

I held off mentioning the sewage works as there should always be a surprise. Although depending on what Thames Water are doing, there could be a preview by the River Cherwell or Thames when the turds start floating by.

Theres a largeish free carpark at the ground - an eyesore with 3 stands and a fence , its in near slum conditions .
The a Statue of a Bronze Raging Ox in the car park. Car park starts filling up from 1pmish- its shared with the Bowlplex & Vue multi screen cinemas on the same site- Frankie n Bennys, The Oxy and a sports bar are also there. All uninspiring

Public transport is almost non existant to the ground. (It is Not ours and we've had notice served)... most the sights etc are in the City Centre, and ridiculously expensive to park ( £13.60 for two hours) if you can find a space free- driving from the City Centre to the breeze block could take ages thanks to speed restrictions on both Cowley rd and Iffley road and of course the controversial LTNS

If you want a bit of 'local' history of sorts, in Headington Theres the shark in the roof of a house , ( I think its still there), The Britaniana pub, where Headington FC were formed in 1893 ( Blue Plaque commemorating that) Headington FC, became Headington Utd then Oxford United they Played at the Manor Ground for many years ( now a private hospital, the old driveway entrance to what was the London Rd End at the Manor is next to a Shell Fuel station , opposite The Britannia pub) ... if you have time after visiting Headington, you could pop into Risinghurst off the Ring Road, still technically part of Headington, Where CS Lewis' cottage is off Kiln Lane in Lewis Close - though you can only see it from outside, not actually have a walk round

There really isn't anything of much note in walking distance of the soul less breeze block

I would recommend The pre match Buffet at The Blackbird, however this season it appears to be home fans only in there this season?

Catherine Wheel or George in Littlemore are probably the closest pubs ( excluding The Blackbird)

Hope some of that is helpful
Yes it's very helpful thank you, these are all great ideas, I'll have to sort of pick a few and go with it. Appreciate such an informed post. I'd really like to get a shot of the blue plaque, so it looks like I'll be turning up way before kick off.

The only thing I'll say is I didn't realise how annoyed Oxford United fans were with the stadium, it's really interesting. I'll be sure to touch on this and try and get some nice shots.

Genuine question with all these ideas and having a better understanding of the layouts and walk times, how much time will I need to tick off all of this, I was aiming for around 10am but I'm thinking it might need to be a bit earlier..

@Braziliance welcome to the yellows forum. You have been given some useful facts about Oxford and OUFC but there is one thing that most if not all and it concerns Charlton and it happens to be an OUFC supporter and that’s Charlie Methven but sort from that enjoy your visit.

For some reason we always seem to beat you, even last season when we were dreadful we pulled out a rare good performance at the Kassam
We do seem to have had a decent record against Charlton lately. I oddly still think of them as a bogey side for us. I remember when we won on pens in the league cup a while back (2002), we hadn't beaten them in a long long time. It definitely seems to have swung the other way a bit since then.

I think you'll find that was Jeffrey Archer really. He let Bannister take the credit, so he told me.
I exchanged pleasantries with Archer a few times back in the very late 1980s (or it may have been very early 1990s).

My company were involved in the refurbishment of a large building called Thames House, which was the HQ for MI5. It was a fascinating project, and the architects set up a project office on the opposite side of the Thames, in a 1960s office block called Alembic House. As I was heading up our side of it I would frequently be at meetings there. It was a very nondescript building, apart from the top two floors which were Archer's London penthouse apartment. He had his own private lift and the apartment had panoramic views along the Thames including the Houses of Parliament. It's apparently been used in films, including I think, a James Bond one.

The lobby area was very plush, even though the main building wasn't, and a few times Archer was just hanging around the lobby on his own (maybe waiting for a car to pick hime up or something?) and after a while he would chat when he saw me, and was surprisingly quite pleasant. This was, of course, before we all knew he was a wrong'un!!!

If only he'd told me he knew you Paul. I could have ingratiated myself further with him and he might have invited me up to the penthouse to peruse his memoirs.....

I exchanged pleasantries with Archer a few times back in the very late 1980s (or it may have been very early 1990s).

My company were involved in the refurbishment of a large building called Thames House, which was the HQ for MI5. It was a fascinating project, and the architects set up a project office on the opposite side of the Thames, in a 1960s office block called Alembic House. As I was heading up our side of it I would frequently be at meetings there. It was a very nondescript building, apart from the top two floors which were Archer's London penthouse apartment. He had his own private lift and the apartment had panoramic views along the Thames including the Houses of Parliament. It's apparently been used in films, including I think, a James Bond one.

The lobby area was very plush, even though the main building wasn't, and a few times Archer was just hanging around the lobby on his own (maybe waiting for a car to pick hime up or something?) and after a while he would chat when he saw me, and was surprisingly quite pleasant. This was, of course, before we all knew he was a wrong'un!!!

If only he'd told me he knew you Paul. I could have ingratiated myself further with him and he might have invited me up to the penthouse to peruse his memoirs.....
His wiki page is hilarious! So much lying and dodging , makes Boris look like Caroline Lucas

Yes it's very helpful thank you, these are all great ideas, I'll have to sort of pick a few and go with it. Appreciate such an informed post. I'd really like to get a shot of the blue plaque, so it looks like I'll be turning up way before kick off.

The only thing I'll say is I didn't realise how annoyed Oxford United fans were with the stadium, it's really interesting. I'll be sure to touch on this and try and get some nice shots.

Genuine question with all these ideas and having a better understanding of the layouts and walk times, how much time will I need to tick off all of this, I was aiming for around 10am but I'm thinking it might need to be a bit earlier..
Oxford is a brilliant city and there's loads to do and see. But the current stadium is a disgrace.Long story cut short- but we used to have The Manor, a much loved (but tiny) ground in Headington, a suburb of Oxford. A well meaning previous owner bungled a move to this current dump in the late 90's. He ran out of money and Kassam stepped in. Kassam is a property developer and owner of various low end hotels. He pretended to be interested in football for about five minutes, but then sold the club and remained our landlord. I have a couple of mates who are big Charlton fans, and the situation is very like yours with Duchalet. I've been to 60+ grounds over the years (nearly all for Oxford games) and I honestly think the Kassam is the worst ground/matchday experience in England. Hope that helps you manage your expectations!!

We do seem to have had a decent record against Charlton lately. I oddly still think of them as a bogey side for us. I remember when we won on pens in the league cup a while back (2002), we hadn't beaten them in a long long time. It definitely seems to have swung the other way a bit since then.

Ah, the beginning of the Jefferson Louis era.......definitely top five in my "most mental I've gone celebrating at an Oxford game" list. May even be top three......the only other two I can remember that might match it are Potter at Wembley (naturally) and Mark Rawle's last minute equalizer at Cambridge.

Anyways, if you count matches that go to penalties as a draw (as most stats sites do), we played Charlton 18 times between 1988 and 2016 and won exactly zero.

From 2016 onwards, we've played them 13 times, and only lost once (plus six wins, and six draws)!

Ah that charlton match it was unforgettable. It was Manny omoyimi that won us that match. He played absolutely brilliantly as a lone striker relieving the relentless pressure at the other end. Then he was taken off before the pens and jefferson got all the plaudits for scoring the winning pen.

Back
Top Bottom