General Season ticket prices

Why are football clubs any different to any other leisure business and be allowed to get away with it? If you didn't get a refund for a cancelled theatre show, or a rock festival, or a holiday there would be absolute uproar and they would be named and shamed in the papers and social media to the point where they have to do the right thing. To pay £299 to see a max of 2 games of football live and a further 21 games on a really crap quality screen service and not get any refund at all is a bit of a kick in the guts. Free entry for 2 Mickey Mouse cup games that 75% of us wouldn't have bothered going to anyway but will now do so (extra travel costs incurred on top etc), your name on a wall - wow. For those of you old enough we used to get the first cup game with our season ticket anyway before that was snatched away from us as an subtle way of increasing the overall price without us really noticing.

In particular I will stand up for the under 18s again here, who weren't even allowed to subscribe to the iFollow service because they were underage so didn't even have the benefit of getting this in the 2020/21 ST deal. This group, the future of our club, have been particularly hard done by with this. Given a choice I would have liked to see a free 2021/22 season renewal for this group. Over 18s then have to suffer the injustice of no refund. But I would be more comfortable with this knowing that there are always going to be winners and losers and I think giving something back to youngsters to maintain their interest in our club by effectively forcing them to come back by giving them free entry for next season would have been a fantastic example to give, something completely different that no one else has done, and a PR huge positive as a result.

Otherwise what can you do? Will be off to renew shortly...it's our way of life and the club know it so take advantage of it. But it is simply wrong that they think they can provide a service, get paid up front for it, and then not deliver it nor give any money back. We should all have MUG stamped on our forehead when we next go to a match because that is basically what we all are for allowing this to happen and subconsciously accepting it all for the love of our football club.
I can really see both sides here. It's that old thing where football is a hard-nosed business when it suits the club and a sentiment-based community affair when it suits them. The difference with theatre is that theatre groups will have broken up or been furloughed whereas our club has kept the team together and has been able to carry on competing, and someone has to pay for that.

I can understand why some people are disappointed.

However, for balance, season ticket holders were given 23 league home games to watch on the EFL subscription service so we could watch games; that would have cost £10 x 23 in normal circumstances. Season Ticket holders were acknowledged multiple times, along with junior season ticket holders, when the club sent out free gifts, including a wallet ST holder and other little items. I know we didn't want to watch it on EFL streams, but we had the opportunity to do so, at no additional cost.

Season Ticket holders, the majority not all, had the chance to see a fixture circa XMAS, Northampton at Home, another game and memory serves me, a EFL Trophy match. What has a play-off semi final ticket got to do with season tickets? Irrelevant.

Moreover, our money, like it or not, contributed to the running and possible survival to how our club was ran in the last 12 months.

Season ticket holders weren’t given the ifollow games, we paid for them. I got two league games in as well so I was only about £60 out of pocket so not as bad as others but the idea I received anything for free is laughable.

I will renew again, doing it tonight, the club reimbursement for any missed games this season is enough to keep me but I can see people’s point, especially those who had the more expensive tickets or multiple tickets per household.

I might have missed this, but was there any refund /rebate offer for last season 2020/21?

However, for balance, season ticket holders were given 23 league home games to watch on the EFL subscription service so we could watch games; that would have cost £10 x 23 in normal circumstances. Season Ticket holders were acknowledged multiple times, along with junior season ticket holders, when the club sent out free gifts, including a wallet ST holder and other little items. I know we didn't want to watch it on EFL streams, but we had the opportunity to do so, at no additional cost.

Season Ticket holders, the majority not all, had the chance to see a fixture circa XMAS, Northampton at Home, another game and memory serves me, a EFL Trophy match. What has a play-off semi final ticket got to do with season tickets? Irrelevant.

Moreover, our money, like it or not, contributed to the running and possible survival to how our club was ran in the last 12 months.
That is the fundamental point for me.

The club is still here and I'm looking forward to going back in August. What on earth would we all do if there was no club to support? I don't just mean just on a Saturday Afternoon, I mean whenever we check Twitter or the website for news and whenever we look at this forum which for a lot of us is a bit like a constant drug addiction.

Football clubs are different to other forms of entertainment. You don't visit your local cinema or theatre website daily, theatre/cinemagoers are quite happy to flirt around different venues depending on what's on, there isn't an inherent loyalty to them. I'd prefer not to pay my mortgage each month but it's pretty fundamental to my lifestyle, so is OUFC and whilst I could have not renewed my ST last year, that would feel like a betrayal.

Well yes but (as you've said) the value of the iFollow subscription was £230.

A couple of masks and a season ticket wallet for season tickets we never got? Thanks for those but I could have done without them - as 'free gifts' they should hardly be counted!

And I am sorry but words are cheap. 'Acknowledged multiple times' maybe - but little actual consideration given to people when it comes to paying for the next season. As it is, I have paid about 50 quid more than someone who didn't buy a ST: for the same thing. That's not a fortune and (while irritating and a little disappointing), I will live with it. For those who paid for the expensive seats, rather more galling I would imagine.

Of course, your last point is correct - our money certainly helped keep the club afloat. That's the only reason I'm not borrowing one of SteMerrriit's nicely sharpened pitchforks and setting off for Thailand right now!

I might have missed this, but was there any refund /rebate offer for last season 2020/21?
Don't think so but equally the club were totally upfront when they issued the ST renewal pack that there were no guarantees of match attendance or refunds if they weren't allowed - the iFollow package as compensation was also clearly put forward.

What I would have liked to see is the difference between your ST price and what you actually got (iFollow feeds) being deducted from this year's renewal. So if we got 23 league games plus one (or was it two?) other games, we got £240/£250 worth. A non-ST holder would have paid that for exactly the same. So as a ST holder I've apparently donated the difference between my ST price and that and paid *more* than a non-ST holder.

In my case I think the East Stand tickets were £299, so I'd have liked the £49/£59 deducted from my renewal price. Not sure that I would have paid that extra for a raffle ticket, which is what seems to be happening! It's not really the money, it's the fact that we were being told how much we were appreciated all season and plainly that's only true as long as we stump up next time. Not difficult to work out as everyone is in the same boat.

I will end up renewing of course, but it makes me feel just that little bit less well-disposed to those running the club.

Edit: I have emailed the club to make exactly this point. I will share any response I get.
Spot on as usual. I feel exactly the same and I've been going for 57 years!!

Reading some if the ideas of what the club could have done

So one option which maybe was open to the club is to give something back to supporters which has a greater value to the supporter than it does to the club. For example, reducing the season ticket by the cost of the iFollow cover is a direct hit to the club and I understand why a club would not do that

There are other options which are not as expensive for the club. For example, a voucher for the club shop for £50 would be worth £50 to a supporter but probably cost the club maybe £15 based on the cost of merchandise. Maybe a deal on a programme costs £3 for a fan but I suspect costs £1 to produce

It is this type of initiative that gives lots of value but at less cost that may have been an option

That is the fundamental point for me.

The club is still here and I'm looking forward to going back in August. What on earth would we all do if there was no club to support? I don't just mean just on a Saturday Afternoon, I mean whenever we check Twitter or the website for news and whenever we look at this forum which for a lot of us is a bit like a constant drug addiction.

Football clubs are different to other forms of entertainment. You don't visit your local cinema or theatre website daily, theatre/cinemagoers are quite happy to flirt around different venues depending on what's on, there isn't an inherent loyalty to them. I'd prefer not to pay my mortgage each month but it's pretty fundamental to my lifestyle, so is OUFC and whilst I could have not renewed my ST last year, that would feel like a betrayal.
Also, being a ponce I am a member of the National Trust and the British Museum, from which I received nothing in the last year. Hammering the NT now mind

Yes
Things would be so much better without Social Media
I don’t know you but I will make a point of nodding at everyone when I next go to a match

Sorry, but no.

If a forum (this forum!) isn't the place for debating the rights and wrongs of every aspect of a (our) football club then I don't know where is.

As long as it is done in a civil manner.

Edit: If someone I don't recognise nods at me next season I will be sure to nod back.

Just a note:

I would be very careful before people make suggestions of disloyalty, or use words such as “betrayal” over a mere difference in opinion. Casting aspersions over the legitimacy of any other person’s level of support for the club is off-limits, always. Nobody has any right to ever go down that path. It’s a low blow.

Disagree, disagree fiercely even, and argue your point strongly if you must, but nobody should ever go below the belt. Even the most brutal sports on earth have rules. I would encourage anybody who has crept down this route already, or is considering doing so, to really think on.

Sorry, but no.

If a forum (this forum!) isn't the place for debating the rights and wrongs of every aspect of a (our) football club then I don't know where is.

Fans' Forum, apparently. In a carefully moderated way ;)

Also, being a ponce I am a member of the National Trust and the British Museum, from which I received nothing in the last year. Hammering the NT now
Also, being a ponce I am a member of the National Trust and the British Museum, from which I received nothing in the last year. Hammering the NT now mind
Just a note re the NT, Werthers. My wife and I have visited more properties in the past 15 months than ever before. Gardens only and socially distanced, of course, but it's been great.
Sorry, but no.

As long as it is done in a civil manner.

Edit: If someone I don't recognise nods at me next season I will be sure to nod back.

They are just like anybody else and offered a refund, if you decided to not request one that is fine and laudable, but to say they didn't and somehow have got away with ticket money in some highway robbery is frankly just not factually correct.
Think you have got the wrong season and are out of date. 2019/20 a lot of us left money in the club when it looked like a lot of businesses including football clubs were going to go bust as the pandemic started. You are correct that we did get the option for 2019/20 that we were offered a refund and many of us chose not to receive it. The fact is that for 2020/21 we haven't had such an option, they have just kept our money. So what is the difference in circumstances between being offered a refund for games we could not attend in 2019/20, and not being offered a refund for games we could not attend in 2020/21 (allowing for the iFollow subscription, which if bought for a whole season is a lot less than 23 x £10)?

Just a note:

I would be very careful before people make suggestions of disloyalty, or use words such as “betrayal” over a mere difference in opinion. Casting aspersions over the legitimacy of any other person’s level of support for the club is off-limits, always. Nobody has any right to ever go down that path. It’s a low blow.

Disagree, disagree fiercely even, and argue your point strongly if you must, but nobody should ever go below the belt. Even the most brutal sports on earth have rules. I would encourage anybody who has crept down this route already, or is considering doing so, to really think on.
Probably aimed at me that one - my words were:

'I'd prefer not to pay my mortgage each month but it's pretty fundamental to my lifestyle, so is OUFC and whilst I could have not renewed my ST last year, that would feel like a betrayal.'

Genuine personal opinion and nothing more. It would have felt like an act of betrayal to me and I'm not judging anyone else's actions or views. In other posts on this topic I've stated that I fully appreciate others feel very differently - variety is the spice of life after all.

Back
Top Bottom