Ex Player Rob Dickie

Yeah it's been discussed here...

According to Ross Heaton at Radio Oxford both Dickie and Gorrin are available for Wembley. I would post this on the other thread but that one has spun off on a combined animal and "are you a Wycombe fan" based tangent.

I'm curious what we're going to do with Dickie (and Brannagan) now.

Pre-Covid, I was convinced we'd get a multi-million pound offer, and sell.

Now? I don't know if Premier League clubs are still going to be forking out significant seven figure sums for lower league players. Yes, their TV deal is still intact, but the lack of crowds will cut into even their revenues significantly. So maybe we'd only get a fraction of what we were previously looking at?

Obviously, you put a new deal in front of Dickie.
But if he refuses to sign it, is it worth it to let him play out his contract for another year and leave for nothing?
If we're in the Championship, I think I'd say yeah, it probably is.
Definitely, if the valuation is 600k lol - every player in CH worth 2-10m+ surely, even goalies

If Fulham or Forest nab him in the next week or two they have to have a promotion clause added. Just in time for the playoffs.

Don’t you think Dickie might have gone anyway? To double his wages and have a shot at the premiership?

No. I think he'd have given it another year. I don't think any player - Dickie, Brannagan or anyone else - would have been easily prised away. I really do believe there'd have been a genuine desire, as a group, to have a crack at the championship.

No. I think he'd have given it another year. I don't think any player - Dickie, Brannagan or anyone else - would have been easily prised away. I really do believe there'd have been a genuine desire, as a group, to have a crack at the championship.

He was going to go this summer regardless what league we were in next season. He wouldn't sign a new contract and it's not the United way to run the contract down. Might of added another 500k on his price tag if we had been promoted though.

An extra 4 million pounds income of course gives us a much stronger negotiating position of course.

Personally with all the financial chaos current and pending in the wider world and football below the premier league I am really glad we have in the past bought so well and developed players. This time last year many would have felt RD was not ready to step into Curtis Nelson’s shoes. If we can bring in £5million in transfer this summer, put £3million into the cash flow and invest £2 million on talented younger players, a contract for Taylor, Liam Kelly and some good loan signings E.g a Gavin Whyte I would be happy

Coventry fan I know said to me today that he would love a player like Dickie in their team - think Dickie would easily fit into one of the promotion contenders in the championship though. He's got a bright future

Imo 2.5 mill plus is a good deal for us as long as the money is reinvested in the team. Not holding my breath on that front given lack of investment after the sales of Baptiste/Fosu.

Imo 2.5 mill plus is a good deal for us as long as the money is reinvested in the team. Not holding my breath on that front given lack of investment after the sales of Baptiste/Fosu.

Bit difficult to reinvest it considering the timing of the sales. We did go after Grigg but Sunderland didn't want to sell or loan to rivals. No excuses this transfer window though.

The money will largely go towards our losses I’d imagine but hopefully that means we’d be able to snap up some promising players for small fees

With @RyanioBirdio have been banging on about recruitment and those teams that have a decent strong process in place will have a big advantage this summer. Covid will filter those that just rely on agents and those which actively scout and use data. We have become a decent trading club...we now appear to offer 12 month extensions to contracts and have numerous players leaving for fees...if we are to stay ahead of the competition we need to further develop this.

We obviously have some decent links in academies and Scotland/NI...covid will see teams in a strong negotiating positions with teams unable to carry such large squads. Likewise in the prem/champ with such large academies. Certainly a big opportunity this summer to bring in similar 21/22yo academy players (Ledson/Lundstram/Brannagan/Dickie/Moore) and supplement with some experience.

Dickie is close to hitting his glass ceiling at OUFC now we are staying in L1 - if we had gone up... Sigh

I just hope any potential transfer is done the right way but the lad is ready for the next step.

Back
Top Bottom