General Rob Dickie & Elliott Moore

I know Burnley and Southampton have been reported to be sniffing but am I the only one who doubts that Dickster could really make it at the top level? I thought his lack of pace was pretty brutally exposed against Newcastle

That’s a fair summary of Dickie’s current skills, strengths and weaknesses. On Wednesday when he got pulled out to the right back position he was easily beaten for pace ( shouldn’t have let the player turn anyway) which led to their best chance and Eastwoods double save. Whilst he will always lack pace, he can and will learn to avoid positions which expose him and will need to when facing better quality forwards. Look at how much he has developed over the past 12 months. As much as I appreciate his talent and would see him as a massive loss, talk of £3milion is pure fantasy. Nelson was a stronger quicker centre back and probably would have been worth more had he been contracted. Somewhere in the region of £1.5 million plus add-ons for appearances and future moves is more realistic.

Not exactly the same. Pompey's defender will be under 24 at the end of this season so they were always entitled to some compensation. Dickie will be a free transfer come 2021 as he will be 24.

I have no doubt with how lower level clubs generally get the poor end of tribunal decisions, it would have been quite a bit less than what they received.

after the other night, arent Wigan likely to be in the market for a CB? :unsure:

theyve 'raided' OUFC before as well
But will he want to go there possibly in L1 and would he be able to shift Dunkley when he’s fit again

Not exactly the same. Pompey's defender will be under 24 at the end of this season so they were always entitled to some compensation. Dickie will be a free transfer come 2021 as he will be 24.

Matt Clarke was almost 20 when Portsmouth signed him in the first place.......he didn't come through their ranks, and they didn't do most of his development - so compensation they would have received from a tribunal for him was minimal.

No, they got £3.5m+ for him, because that's the going rate now for young central defenders who show sufficient promise that it's believed one day they might play in the Premier League.

The open question is whether teams like Burnley & Southampton really believe that - or is his lack of pace going to stop PL teams taking a punt? If one of them does indeed believe that he's got a chance, then £3m is the minimum we should be expecting.

I don’t think lack of pace for a central defender is a massive problem in the PL, there’s an endless list of centre backs over the years who have relied on their instincts and positioning to compensate for shortage of pace. Dickie‘s reading of the game is way above L1 level, add that to his aerial prowess, touch and ability to take out two or three players when he strides forward and that’s why he will be on the radar higher up.

As for whoever it was suggesting if he was at Wigan he’d likely lose his place to a fit again Dunkley, really ? Dunkley is not remotely in the class of Dickie and it’s only circumstances why he’s currently a league above.

Back
Top Bottom