General Rob Dickie & Elliott Moore

There was a quote from Gary Pallister about playing alongside Steve Bruce. He said "Brucey's legs went years before so he couldn't run. But he could shout! "Pally drop deep, Pally head it, Pally kick him!""

Speed as a centre back isn't essential, but you are then relying on players around you, or you have to win 100% of the first ball. Fortunately we do pretty well with both. We have players like Gorrin, Long and Ruffels who are quick enough to sweep up most mistakes, but also Dickie very rarely misses that first challenge. He oozes class and would be the one player who would more easily step straight in to a PL side.

There was a quote from Gary Pallister about playing alongside Steve Bruce. He said "Brucey's legs went years before so he couldn't run. But he could shout! "Pally drop deep, Pally head it, Pally kick him!""

Speed as a centre back isn't essential, but you are then relying on players around you, or you have to win 100% of the first ball. Fortunately we do pretty well with both. We have players like Gorrin, Long and Ruffels who are quick enough to sweep up most mistakes, but also Dickie very rarely misses that first challenge. He oozes class and would be the one player who would more easily step straight in to a PL side.

You might be over egging Dickie here. He’s exceptional at L1, I think he could cope reasonably comfortably with the championship but to use the word “easily” in terms of jumping from L1 to PL I’m not so sure at this particular stage of his development.

Kane, Rashford, Aguero, Firmino, Sterling, Mane, Salah, Aubameyang, Son, Jesus, and even lesser PL lights like Martial, Giroud, Lacazette, Ings, Pukki, Jimenez and so on. It’s a whole different ball game at that level and he’d get turned inside out by the pace and movement of players of that calibre on a weekly basis.

The game has moved on a bit since 20 years ago though, nowadays having pace is more important for a top centre back.
Mmm, I am.not sure that the West Ham and Newcastle centre backs have all been very quick?
If you look in the PL Leicester won it with Huth and Morgan what just a few years ago.
They were no quicker than Dickie I would guess.
Matt Elliott would still be a PL player today even though he was slow.
Sure in the right team and with somebody like Gilchrist next to him.

I never said that Elliott wouldn’t be a top player nowadays - I’m sure he would be. What I’m saying is top CBs like Varane, Gomez etc might not have been as good in the age of Tony Adams, but nowadays to be a CB at the very top it’s more about your pace and ability to play the ball out from the back.

I never said that Elliott wouldn’t be a top player nowadays - I’m sure he would be. What I’m saying is top CBs like Varane, Gomez etc might not have been as good in the age of Tony Adams, but nowadays to be a CB at the very top it’s more about your pace and ability to play the ball out from the back.
I agree that playing out of the back is more important (although there are still a few PL defenders who are not particularly good at that- Arsenals as an example!)
Dickie is very good at bringing the ball out of the back- a real strength of his.
You can certainly get by without having a lot of pace though.
Harry Maguire is relatively slow and plays for England. Evans is doing well at Leicester and Morgam still plays some games.
Positioning, strength, experience is stil really important and Dickie has so many attributes that I think he could make the PL

Matt Elliot was slow, so it’s not necessarily the impediment to a centre backs career people have made it out to be.

Hell, I'm not saying that you can't be a top, slow centre back.

But I'm saying if you are a slow centre back - you can't afford to find yourself as the last man, standing next to a pacy opposition striker in the centre circle when you're opponents have the ball!

You have to compensate for your lack of pace with better positioning. And for Newcastle's second goal, he didn't do that.
(again - he may have been under orders to play a high line, so it may not have been his fault)

These 2 should be the starting centre half partnership. Mous performance levels today is showing that he's past it

Hell, I'm not saying that you can't be a top, slow centre back.

But I'm saying if you are a slow centre back - you can't afford to find yourself as the last man, standing next to a pacy opposition striker in the centre circle when you're opponents have the ball!

You have to compensate for your lack of pace with better positioning. And for Newcastle's second goal, he didn't do that.
(again - he may have been under orders to play a high line, so it may not have been his fault)

Precisely this. I'd be very surprised if that high line wasn't under instruction. We're constantly pushing our defence right to the limits of their ability. It's kinda admirable but also risky. At posh today it did look like we were prioritising sticking to a style and philosophy over getting something from the game. On balance I'm ok with that because it should pay off in the long term but do worry we're now so reliant on gun-for-hire loanees that talk of the long term is a luxury.

I cannot get my head round why Moore hasnt been played in last 2 games? He needs to start on Saturday along side dickie.

I cannot get my head round why Moore hasnt been played in last 2 games? He needs to start on Saturday along side dickie.
It's quite simple. Mousinho has been fantastic and hands down our best performing centre half since the beginning of December. And extending to across the whole season, Dickie will certainly be right up the top when it comes to player of the year awards. That's not to say Moore hasn't done well when given the chance, and he certainly looks to have a bright future. But nobody has an automatic right to be on the team sheet.

It's quite simple. Mousinho has been fantastic and hands down our best performing centre half since the beginning of December. And extending to across the whole season, Dickie will certainly be right up the top when it comes to player of the year awards. That's not to say Moore hasn't done well when given the chance, and he certainly looks to have a bright future. But nobody has an automatic right to be on the team sheet.
Mousinho been better than Dickie??

Mousinho been better than Dickie??
Arguably yes. I honestly don't think there is much in it. Dickie gets lots of the plaudits as he is young, still improving and has come on leaps and bounds. However, on balance, on this season's performances I have seen Dickie make more mistakes than Mous. Just my opinion.

But I'm saying if you are a slow centre back - you can't afford to find yourself as the last man, standing next to a pacy opposition striker in the centre circle when your opponents have the ball!

Hmmmm.....I'm not sure I'd want to be the one telling Gary Briggs that!

Reasonable chance he'd find a way of dealing with said threat...

Back
Top Bottom