Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
History of turning round a failing squad. Tick.
Best football seen at Oxford. Tick.
Brilliant eye for a young player. Tick.
Had us 8th in this league. Tick.

Those losses were in the league above with a Blackpool team who lost talent and didn't spend.

Manning hit the relegation zone in this league with just one season of history to fall back on.

Other than that it's identical.
Plenty of history for not turning around failing squads too.

Portsmouth didn’t turn round a failing squad and were relegated. X
Blackpool first time 2 wins in 12, failed and resigned. X
Blackburn failing squad was sacked after 15 games. X
Oxford yes did us proud and a vg job. Tick
Lincoln did well in one of 3 seasons. 1 Tick, 2 X
Blackpool 2nd time with failing squad, sacked after 0 wins in 10. X

Eye for young player agree. Tick
Had us 8th in League One, also had Lincoln in 5th, 16th, 17th.

Other than for us not exactly much to write home about for MAPP, lots more X than ticks.

Manning:
Eye for young player. Tick
Successfully developed West Ham U23’s and unearthed a few gems. Tick
Took Lommel SK Belgium with a failing squad from bottom of league to 3rd. Tick
MK Dons 3rd in League One. Tick
MK Dons sacked when 23rd in League. X

I‘d say for a young coach who’s starting out in the game its not a bad start to his career, plenty of ticks and just one failure.

The above proves basically anything can be portrayed to make a point one way or another.

Thomas Tuchel had a very poor record in his last 10 games at Chelsea, as has Graham Potter.

Would you be unhappy if we appointed either of them?
Not a great comparison as these guys have actually achieved something.

Also, shows the dangers of relying purely on stats/data, as they can me interpreted/represented in so many different ways!!

Last edited:
You're on a public forum. If you make some random bullsh*t post, don't be surprised if you get some stick for it.

You're comparing Robinson to Manning by highlighting both previously managed MK and that neither played for anyone significant during their playing careers.

That makes sense!
Pointing out similarities actually does make sense.

It doesn't feel like as big of a shift as I would have liked.

I'm behind the manager but it wouldn't be my choice. If you can't handle that opinion that's on you, not me.

A former MK Dons manager who only had a career for non-league minnow clubs. Who does that remind you of?

This board really know how to wind people up.

Wilder came to us from Alfreton and Halifax, they wasn’t BIG clubs.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and he did bloody well at MK Dons coaching some good players. Let’s give him a chance and judge him at Xmas.

His first objective is keeping us up, then we have loads of money to spend in the summer, and he can build his team, and get rid of the deadwood.

Wilder came to us from Alfreton and Halifax, they wasn’t BIG clubs.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and he did bloody well coaching some good players. Let’s give him a chance and judge him at Xmas.

His first objective is keeping us up, then we have loads of money to spend on the summer, and he can build his team, and get rid of the deadwood.
My point was that KR and Manning both didn't have playing careers for professional clubs. I wasn't referring to who they had managed.

Not a fan of Manning being appointed but who gives a f**k. 10 cup finals after Short’s last caretaker game tomorrow.

Let’s stay in League 1.

Should be 1,000 Oxford at Morecambe

It's strange how it's those that were so against Robinson are the ones who keep talking about him.

The King is dead, long live the King.
We’re not f*****g talking about him in high regard, we’re referencing him because people like you used to lord it all about Karl being a forward thinking, young manager who based decisions on data, but now all of a sudden some on here are changing their agenda by saying ‘what he said and what he actually did are two different things’, so the only connection is that Liam is supposed to be a guy who fundamentally works with data which we were led to believe Karl did. By the way, I’m not a firm believer of data only management style. Paul Warne v Karl fir example.

Now I don’t believe Liam to be anything like Karl (god forbid), but what I’d say about Liam is he lacks long term experience which is a big risk in our current state, plus the shower of shite of a squad that’s he’s got to work with which I’d say is miles away from the modem/experience he’s dealt with.

If this was the summer then we all might be thinking differently e.g. open minded/team in transition (may be that’s what Karl was alluded to a few weeks ago), but we ain’t.

I wish Liam all the luck in the world because he’s going to need it, especially over these next 11 games, plus the summer transfer window to offload a number of this shower of shite.

Last edited:
My point was that KR and Manning both didn't have playing careers for professional clubs. I wasn't referring to who they had managed.

I know what you were saying, but you don’t need to be a successful footballer or even be an ex footballer to be a good manager.

The biggest ingredient is your people skills. If you’re good with people they will work for you, and even run through brick walls for you.

You need to have some football brains too, and he’s shown last season he can coach and get the best out of players at this level. I think this is a great appointment, and I’m very encouraged that we’ve gone down the young up and coming route.

I think there is lots to be positive about. He’s been dealt a bad hand to start with, but he could rally the players and get them performing again with some belief, and I’m confident we will stay up.

We’re not f*****g talking about him high regard, we’re reference him because people like you used to lord it all about him being a forward thinking, young manager who based decisions on data, but now all of a sudden some on here are changing their agenda by saying ‘what he said and what he actually did are two different things’, do the only connection is that Liam is supposed to be a guy who fundamentally works with data.

Now I don’t believe Liam to be anything like Karl (god forbid), but what I’d say about Liam is he lacks long term experience which is a big risk in our current state, plus the shower of shite of a squad that’s he’s got to work with which I’d say is mikes away from the modem/experience he’s dealt with.

If this was the summer then we all might be thinking differently e.g. open minded/team in transition (may be that’s what Karl was alluded to a few weeks ago), but we ain’t.

I wish Liam all the luck in the world because he’s going to need it, especially over these next 11 games, plus the summer transfer window to offload a number of this shower of shite.

He's not Appleton. We get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom