Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon the time is being taken by negotiating (with all of the applicants) a deal until the end of the season that says .." preserve our L1 status & you can have a 3 year contract- fail & we start this process all over again". I can't see MAPP or McCann falling for this so I tend to agree that it could well be Manning.

As said yesterday, things hadn’t advanced that much from weekend. So wasn’t going to be any announcement today. But the plan was to get someone in by the Derby game. So tomorrow and I’m pretty certain it’s not McCann or Appleton…
That's great, I'm not even bothered that we're not choosing Mapp to be honest

Screenshot_20230309-172234-min.png

• React
Reactions: MJB
That applies to everyone. McCann included. People are hanging onto the fact that McCann has achieved promotion from L1, but Hull were one of the favourites. He has not done so well when fighting relegation.

KR overachieved with MK Dons and got them into the Champ, so on paper his record was probably better than McCann's, but what did that mean in the end?

Point is Appy plays sexy football, some of the best we have seen, so if we are going to have a go would rather do it in style.

No guarantees with anyone!!!!!!!!

Agreed on that.

My approach would have been to first screen people based on their resumes and references (so McCann, MApp, Richardson etc. would have passed; people like Holden and Manning with less of a track record would have had to have a really great set of references).

Then interview those candidates and focus on two key questions (both of which should be loooong, like 30 minute+ answers):

1) Given the squad you're inheriting, how are you going to go about getting 12+ points from the last ten games?
2) Given that our idiot former manager has tied up a massive proportion of your budget for next season in a bunch of crocks and layabouts that you're likely not going to get much from, and we probably can't shift - what's your strategy for building a squad that can compete at the right end of the table in 2023/24?

Whoever answers those questions best - based on a demonstrated detailed knowledge of our players, their skills and weaknesses, the league as a whole, tactical insight and a realistic recruitment policy (wherever possible, supported by facts and data) - gets the gig.

Hopefully that's actually what the Board is doing. Although sadly, we'll probably never know.

With the way Jones' odds dropped yesterday could he have gate crashed the whole process and knocked another, McCann, into touch ? I have an inkling for Manning still but still think there's that curve ball out there who could take us all by surprise. Interesting developments with what UTO is saying.

Take a breath, Robinson was sacked 11 days ago, if you’ve ever been involved in interviewing anyone you’ll know the logistics involved in getting the panel together and getting through the candidates, at least once. While it would be useful to have someone in place for Saturday if it ain’t gonna happen so be it. For f**** sake be patient !!
Yes I have been involved in the interview process both in SMEs and quoted businesses in key decision making roles at board level, not that it's relevant.
To my mind there were only really 10 maybe 20 serious candidates and those guys will have applied within 24 hours and should have been well known to the club.
For this particular type of job, I would have already known the potential candidates and would have started the head hunting process before Robinson had left. Potentially had the replacement interviewed and primed.
Presumably the first stage in this case will have been interviewed conducted locally by the interview team or process. That would recommend a short list to the board based decision or final decision maker.
My concern is this event was not planned for, in an industry where change in key staff is constant and shouldn't really take very long.
Totally accept somebody new on the market like Nathan Jones might have put a spanner in the works.

Last edited:
Agreed on that.

My approach would have been to first screen people based on their resumes and references (so McCann, MApp, Richardson etc. would have passed; people like Holden and Manning with less of a track record would have had to have a really great set of references).

Then interview those candidates and focus on two key questions (both of which should be loooong, like 30 minute+ answers):

1) Given the squad you're inheriting, how are you going to go about getting 12+ points from the last ten games?
2) Given that our idiot former manager has tied up a massive proportion of your budget for next season in a bunch of crocks and layabouts that you're likely not going to get much from, and we probably can't shift - what's your strategy for building a squad that can compete at the right end of the table in 2023/24?

Whoever answers those questions best - based on a demonstrated detailed knowledge of our players, their skills and weaknesses, the league as a whole, tactical insight and a realistic recruitment policy (wherever possible, supported by facts and data) - gets the gig.

Hopefully that's actually what the Board is doing. Although sadly, we'll probably never know.
Are you passionate? Are you a winner? Are you passionate about winning? Tell us about a time when you showed your passion for winning.

It seems madness to appoint anyone who doesn’t have a consistent record at this level, but I prefer the idea of Manning to McCann. Inherited a good squad from Martin but had them playing some excellent stuff last year. Had the rug pulled from under him with £5m for Twine and Darling and no major reinvestment. He’s an unknown quantity in a way, but at least a highly thought of and intelligent coach who’s progressed well through management roles.

Someone unexpected from abroad?

Still not ruling out the appointment of Indonesian gaffer Mai Kai Fooking Deszechuan…

How have we gone from having a proven manager who has been promoted out of this league waiting to be announced to now apparently going to employ a manager who got sacked by MK for building a squad that are even worse than we are?

This is worse than the transfer window ffs.

I'd be happy with him. Young, articulate, really exciting football and that MK side had great technical players but, just as importantly, they were strong, physical and robust. They totally bullied us, how we got something that night I'll never know.

Yes I have been involved in the interview process both in SMEs and quoted businesses in key decision making roles at board level, not that it's relevant.
To my mind there were only really 10 maybe 20 serious candidates and those guys will have applied within 24 hours and should have been well known to the club.
For this particular type of job, I would have already known the potential candidates and would have started the head hunting process before Robinson had left. Potentially had the replacement interviewed and primed.
Presumably the first stage in this case will have been interviewed conducted locally by the interview team or process. That would recommend a short list to the board based decision or final decision maker.
My concern is this event was not planned for, in an industry where change in key staff is constant and shouldn't really take very long.
In effect, you think you do but you know nothing about this particular interview and selection process. Be patient.

As said yesterday, things hadn’t advanced that much from weekend. So wasn’t going to be any announcement today. But the plan was to get someone in by the Derby game. So tomorrow and I’m pretty certain it’s not McCann or Appleton…
This is potentially putting your ITK status in jeopardy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom