Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a basket case club that doesn't sack a manager who, having been given a top six budget (confirmed by TW himself), leads the club to it's worst run of form since an infamously bad season 20+ years ago and leaves it facing relegation and having to fight teams with a fraction of the budget. A run of form not even matched during the season we dropped down to the conference.

A game or two too far? Given the supposed ambition of the club, it isn't unfair to suggest that he was lucky to not be sacked at the end of last season after a desperately poor end to the season that many saw coming after not addressing obvious problems in the January window (problems that were highlighted by KR himself after the Blackpool play-off games and not addressed that summer). To not be sacked after we discovered by October that we weren't really any better than the likes of Morecambe and FGR was deeply concerning. To then let him get all the way to the end of Feb, all the while getting even worse, was just downright negligent and utter madness.

It's tiring reading opinions that suggest that this situation we're in has just magically appeared in the last 8 weeks or so and that nobody saw it coming. The team was in a slow decline after the Wycombe loss at Wembley until the end of last season, where we then fell off a cliff. We should have made the play-offs last season, and the only acceptable counter that KR could offer to make up for that was to start this season like a train. Yet we ended the summer window not even hitting the squad cap limit with multiple gaps to fill...

As a fan base we need to shift from the plucky little Oxford mentality that suggests we can't expect too much and should consider getting to a league one play off final as success. We should now be expecting and demanding the best given what we've been told by our esteemed board. They should have been ruthless long before this point and we're now paying for it.
Great Post mate.
You could tell from those early matches that things were going to be difficult. "Transitional" and "consolidate" are the words used by directors who know nothing about L1 - and the blame for our present plight now rests squarely with TW & GF.

Did he sign any of them or get lucky with what he inherited?

You’ve still got to get them training, and playing together, and get the best out of them. He was very nearly a runner up last season. He was never going to keep Darling and Twine. A bit like us with McNally. We are both selling clubs! The difference was last summer KR got given a war chest. Manning didn’t have that luxury.

You’ve still got to get them training, and playing together, and get the best out of them. He was very nearly a runner up last season. He was never going to keep Darling and Twine. A bit like us with McNally. We are both selling clubs! The difference was last summer KR got given a war chest. Manning didn’t have that luxury.
I think it makes a big difference if he signed them or not. I’m pretty sure KR could get a side playing well if he had Darling and Twine…

Right. Its a no from me

It's a basket case club that doesn't sack a manager who, having been given a top six budget (confirmed by TW himself), leads the club to it's worst run of form since an infamously bad season 20+ years ago and leaves it facing relegation and having to fight teams with a fraction of the budget. A run of form not even matched during the season we dropped down to the conference.

A game or two too far? Given the supposed ambition of the club, it isn't unfair to suggest that he was lucky to not be sacked at the end of last season after a desperately poor end to the season that many saw coming after not addressing obvious problems in the January window (problems that were highlighted by KR himself after the Blackpool play-off games and not addressed that summer). To not be sacked after we discovered by October that we weren't really any better than the likes of Morecambe and FGR was deeply concerning. To then let him get all the way to the end of Feb, all the while getting even worse, was just downright negligent and utter madness.

It's tiring reading opinions that suggest that this situation we're in has just magically appeared in the last 8 weeks or so and that nobody saw it coming. The team was in a slow decline after the Wycombe loss at Wembley until the end of last season, where we then fell off a cliff. We should have made the play-offs last season, and the only acceptable counter that KR could offer to make up for that was to start this season like a train. Yet we ended the summer window not even hitting the squad cap limit with multiple gaps to fill...

As a fan base we need to shift from the plucky little Oxford mentality that suggests we can't expect too much and should consider getting to a league one play off final as success. We should now be expecting and demanding the best given what we've been told by our esteemed board. They should have been ruthless long before this point and we're now paying for it.
I haven't read that many opinions saying this has come out of the blue over the last 8 weeks so not sure where you are reading them all? In the summer there was a spectrum of views with one end demanding he be sacked then and there, the other end of the spectrum was a few people saying everything was fine and dandy. The majority in my view, including myself, raised real questions about the transfer policy and squad balance as we could see it had really not gone to plan (or even if there was a plan) but were also prepared to give some time to put it right.

Right. Its a no from me

I’m not trying to convince people to want him here, and I want Mapps! but if he is chosen by the people making the decision. Then that individual will need our support as we enter the final part of the season. There is still plenty of time to pick up a few wins, and the players are capable of doing that.

Quite a few people knew there were serious issues behind the scenes at the club for some time but I had hoped that when TW came in he would establish the cause and do something about it
Instead him and KR became as thick as thieves
It was depressing to see

I'm not advocating Appleton, but let's have some perspective here. You are on £200k a year managing Oxford and then offered £500k as an assistant in a premiership side. Of course, we would all select Oxford, wouldn't we........

Most of us in this situation would take the logical decision that looks after our families and ourselves, making us sensible human beings rather than the emotive 'judas' you are implying!
Along with the fact he’s been proved right to take that decision after all the health problems he suffered.

I don’t understand how Manning is in the running at all. Of the realistic candidates listed he’d be a distant last for me…
Imagine if he took us down and mk stayed up instead....

.... please return to the library agent Manning, your job is done

But surely the board aren't going to risk the possibility of being seen to have appointed someone who subsequently is shown to have been involved in taking two teams down in one season....

The next highest has 15% - less than half. That’s pretty overwhelming
Totally agree.My point really is that the majority are not voting for MAPP. Somebody was suggesting that there was a big movement on here behind MAPP

Quite a few people knew there were serious issues behind the scenes at the club for some time but I had hoped that when TW came in he would establish the cause and do something about it
It was depressing to see
Williams is like the geeky rich kid who all the popular kids let hang around with them, so that they can go in his swimming pool at the weekend.

I’m not so against Manning becoming our manager. His MK side that came here last season, I thought, were the best L1 side I’ve seen at The Kassam for a few seasons. They were superb and his style of football was a joy to watch - way ahead of most L1 teams. I think we somehow beat them on the night but in a footballing sense they battered us. They did the same away to Plymouth a few week later.

He coached at West Ham for a few years so has a good philosophy in trying to play the right way and that was certainly implemented at MK. Not saying I want him but if it is him I think there are worse and less capable candidates out there.

It was depressing to see
How do you know that.? What proof do you have?.....and who are these "quite a few people"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom