Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordinarily, with time on your side, maybe. But to underestimate the impact of a galvanised fan base overnight would be a mistake IMO. It should be a factor otherwise it’s a lack of understanding of our situation, a very low camp, and football generally.

If you’re Derby, would you rather come here to face us with Appleton in the dugout or McCann/Manning where fans are a little less convinced?
I’m sure the Derby players won’t be put off by some shouting fans. Newcastle supporters would probably have chosen a Geordie legend but I bet they’re pleased with Eddie Howe now.

The management should absolutely not take into account what the fan base think - even if it was possible to ascertain that. They need to find the best person for the job.
Well, finding the best person for the job usually fails. Where does KR stand in long serving managers....near the top(5 years). Does not say much for the rest of them. Respect your views, however.

If the worst happens and we get relegated then rightly or wrongly certain candidates will be afforded more sympathy and time (by the fans) to put things right than others.

As I’ve said before it’s also important who Williams thinks and feels he can have a good working relationship with. That could rule out some applicants.

From the outside MAPP ticks a lot of boxes.

Well, finding the best person for the job usually fails. Where does KR stand in long serving managers....near the top(5 years). Does not say much for the rest of them. Respect your views, however.
For the record I hope it’s Appleton, because I think he’d be good but also because I’m a soppy t**t. But if they can find someone even better then great.

Ordinarily, with time on your side, maybe. But to underestimate the impact of a galvanised fan base overnight would be a mistake IMO. It should be a factor otherwise it’s a lack of understanding of our situation, a very low camp, and football generally.

If you’re Derby, would you rather come here to face us with Appleton in the dugout or McCann/Manning where fans are a little less convinced?

The most important thing right now is to galvanise the players and get enough out of them to keep us up. No one has mentioned Craig Short as our future manager, but I'm sure that he'll have the full support of the fans today, even more so if we get a win.

I hope that if we get McCann or Manning our fan base are more respectful than you suggest Derby would be!

The most important thing right now is to galvanise the players and get enough out of them to keep us up. No one has mentioned Craig Short as our future manager, but I'm sure that he'll have the full support of the fans today, even more so if we get a win.

I hope that if we get McCann or Manning our fan base are more respectful than you suggest Derby would be!
Exactly so surely having a bouncing crowd of 10k+ for our remaining home games is exactly what’s needed as long as it’s not a huge compromise in quality.

Appleton is a sure thing in this regard - as a reminder, he wasn’t my first choice. But since hearing the shortlist, I think he should be a shoe-in for the job.

We have 12 games to save our arses. We don’t have time for the new manager to waste wooing the supporters. Appleton wouldn’t have to say a word and the crowd will be raucous.

Craig Short has been part of the problem, it would be mindless to think he will be the solution when we do not have time to work that out. The time to do that was before January or around the time Mous was here. Not now. We need a known quantity.

I’m sure the Derby players won’t be put off by some shouting fans. Newcastle supporters would probably have chosen a Geordie legend but I bet they’re pleased with Eddie Howe now.
it’s fine margins. If the crowd are 5% more excited by Appleton than anyone else and in turn that gets 5% more out of the players then it’s worth a consideration.

Exactly so surely having a bouncing crowd of 10k+ for our remaining home games is exactly what’s needed as long as it’s not a huge compromise in quality.

Appleton is a sure thing in this regard - as a reminder, he wasn’t my first choice. But since hearing the shortlist, I think he should be a shoe-in for the job.

We have 12 games to save our arses. We don’t have time for the new manager to waste wooing the supporters. Appleton wouldn’t have to say a word and the crowd will be raucous.

Craig Short has been part of the problem, it would be mindless to think he will be the solution when we do not have time to work that out. The time to do that was before January or around the time Mous was here. Not now. We need a known quantity.
You're right that Appleton wouldn't need to say a word for the crowd to be behind him on the first game, but lose the next 6 and the crowd won't be so nostalgic.

McCann could see a more lukewarm response on day one, but win the next 6 and he'll have everyone on board.

I'm not saying that either outcome would happen but we're beyond needing cheerleaders and need our next manager to be someone who can save this season, rebuild for next season and hopefully take the club into the new stadium and the championship.

I'm certainly not against Appleton, but a feel good factor can be short lived and our next manager needs to offer so much more and focusing on this alone does MApp a disservice.

I'd be interested to see one or both of Henry/Baldock added to the coaching staff (if that's a path they want to go down) along the same line as Mousinho. Doesn't mean they'll become our manager one day but I think it worked to some extent with Mousinho and does keep good experience and characters in the club.

I'd be interested to see one or both of Henry/Baldock added to the coaching staff (if that's a path they want to go down) along the same line as Mousinho. Doesn't mean they'll become our manager one day but I think it worked to some extent with Mousinho and does keep good experience and characters in the club.
Agreed, baldock as striker coach, Henry more asst manager - loved the way he came straight over to the fans at Cambridge

Agreed, baldock as striker coach, Henry more asst manager - loved the way he came straight over to the fans at Cambridge
Those two mainly because they talk well and seem to understand the various aspects of the game, bags of knowledge from their careers which can be supplemented by taking coaching badges and gently brought into the coaching setup whilst still hopefully playing

You're right that Appleton wouldn't need to say a word for the crowd to be behind him on the first game, but lose the next 6 and the crowd won't be so nostalgic.

McCann could see a more lukewarm response on day one, but win the next 6 and he'll have everyone on board.

I'm not saying that either outcome would happen but we're beyond needing cheerleaders and need our next manager to be someone who can save this season, rebuild for next season and hopefully take the club into the new stadium and the championship.

I'm certainly not against Appleton, but a feel good factor can be short lived and our next manager needs to offer so much more and focusing on this alone does MApp a disservice.
Looking at it another way, I think even if Appleton took us down, there would be significantly less bad blood than with a manager we don’t know. KR would carry all the blame in that scenario. There would also be immediate optimism (once we’ve all grieved for a few weeks) that we’ll come straight back.

A new name would be less forgivable even if they did nothing differently. Appleton has credit in the bank.

But right now I’m focused on staying up and I personally think after 12 months of an angered, fractured fan base, one that glued it all together overnight gives us a better chance. He will also have far more emotion involved in keeping us up. I can’t see the logic in appointing McCann or Manning over him in this situation. Wilder was my first choice for all the same reasons Appleton is now the obvious choice from that shortlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom