Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m wary of Appleton returning, I wouldn’t want want his previous legacy tarnished.

I hear this.

But lets say it goes terribly. Does that make 2015-17 worse? Not for me.

What I would say about Appleton, (and I’m as guilty as anyone) is that many of us are looking back with rose tinted spectacles. Even in the good times there was frustration. I can remember fans constantly bemoaning Maguire slowing us down when we were on a break or attack. We would need to be patient again, there’s no quick easy fix, empires take time and there will be frustrations and disappointments along the way.
There were frustrations, sure, but I remember me and the other old heads in my match-going group telling the young ones that 2016 wasn't your 'typical Oxford' experience and they'd better enjoy it, so I feel confident that it actually was bloody brilliant.

With Mapp it’s a fresh start. Virtually nothing is the same: board, training ground, players, back room staff, sports science, etc.
I really don’t like to hear people talking about second time around. It’s different this time.

I’m wary of Appleton returning, I wouldn’t want want his previous legacy tarnished.

However of the candidate mentioned amongst the betting favourites, he’s the stand out.

What I would say about Appleton, (and I’m as guilty as anyone) is that many of us are looking back with rose tinted spectacles. Even in the good times there was frustration. I can remember fans constantly bemoaning Maguire slowing us down when we were on a break or attack. We would need to be patient again, there’s no quick easy fix, empires take time and there will be frustrations and disappointments along the way.

However what would excite me is the sort of squad Appleton could put together with Robinson’s budget, if the board are
prepared to him to the same extent of course.

Maguire looked alright to me on the counter at Middlesbrough and at home to Swansea.

It’s one of them,
One step at a time of course and let's get the new guy in first and focus our efforts on staying up.

However boy am I looking fwd to the possibility of a proper pre-season where we we're not scratching around a few days before the season starts and having a couple of pre-seasons before Xmas.

One step at a time of course and let's get the new guy in first and focus our efforts on staying up.

However boy am I looking fwd to the possibility of a proper pre-season where we we're not scratching around a few days before the season starts and having a couple of pre-seasons before Xmas.
And only going somewhere that can be driven to in a day.

However of the candidate mentioned amongst the betting favourites, he’s the stand out.

However what would excite me is the sort of squad Appleton could put together with Robinson’s budget, if the board are
No manager always gets it completely right, there will always be mistakes made and blind spots, at all levels, no matter who it is.

His legacy could never be tarnished in my opinion, that was then, this is now, and the circumstances are different this time round, but we know what a professional, intelligent manager he is, and what held him back when he was here before, a lack of funding, is exactly what he would have in abundance here now.

It’s a no brainer for me.

Maguire was a real litmus test of a player. If you knew, you knew.

If Danny Cowley couldn't make it work at Portsmouth with their resources then he's not going to do anything for us. It would be a dismal appointment really. Can't take away what he achieved at Lincoln prior but Pompey was a prime opportunity for him to prove his ability and he ended up doing no better than Robinson in the end. Out of all the realistic candidates, him and Fowler are no-goes.
Did it at Lincoln though

This is exactly what needs consideration when we appoint. Whoever gets it will be supported but Appleton would be paraded and would galvanise the fan base. Power of that should not be underestimated. It is not all about qualifications.

Power of Appleton’s name in the stands vs Cowley’s is incomparable.
Oi, I won't hear a bad word about Cowley!

The heartbeat of the real Oxford! #OX4LIFE

Appleton is a one horse village!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom