How to complete the season

It's going to very difficult not to be distracted while working from home today. I suppose realistically we won't will see any white smoke until late afternoon or early evening but that probably won't stop me checking every five minutes.

Last edited:
Mercenary bastards that don`t give a fudge about "us".
Owners, managers,players etc come and go yet we get stuck with it for life and we don`t get a vote on it.

I hope that if they vote to resume the season that pushes more clubs into bankruptcy and causes a massive re-set within the game.

Sensible options are to void it or close it off as it stands. Then you can at least consider planning to start next season..........except they won`t be able too because nobody knows what situation we will be in this side of Christmas.

Chuck a likely second wave in the mix and you wouldn`t be offering any odds..

It's going to very difficult not to be distracted while working from home today. I suppose realistically we won't will see any white smoke until late afternoon or early evening but that probably won't stop me checking every five minutes.
OM reporting thats it is unlikely any firm decisions will be made today. Surprise surprise.. ?

Don`t most contracts expire end of June?
I can also imagine many have annual leave written into their contracts between June-August to allow them "time off" before pre-season starts.
The more you think about it the more it looks like the proverbial dead parrot.

Don`t most contracts expire end of June?
I can also imagine many have annual leave written into their contracts between June-August to allow them "time off" before pre-season starts.
The more you think about it the more it looks like the proverbial dead parrot.
One thing I have learnt this morning is that, although contracts formally end in June, clubs are obliged to pay players until the end of July if they havent found another club. I suppose this gives the leagues a little more leeway but still not enough.

OM reporting thats it is unlikely any firm decisions will be made today. Surprise surprise.. ?

Of course they won't make any firm decisions...not today and probably not ever. As soon as those in charge grow a set of balls and start laying the law down, the legal recriminations will start. Far better to kick the can (must be getting rather dented now, that can) a little bit further down the road:

"Constructive discussion, listened to all clubs closely, clearly a range of situations that we need to take into account, unprecedented situation that remains unsure, monitoring latest news closely, decision in due course after careful consideration..."

Bla, bla, bla!

One thing I have learnt this morning is that, although contracts formally end in June, clubs are obliged to pay players until the end of July if they havent found another club. I suppose this gives the leagues a little more leeway but still not enough.
What I understand that use to happen, is players would get their basic wage until there contracts end. Like most of us, if there contract finishes on 30th of June as the most do, they usually get paid after that, for example 15th of July. End of season bonuses, etc can we paid even after that.

And nowhere more than the Premier League. For me League 1 still has the feel of a game that's played for the benefit of local fans with a feeling of community spirit. It would be an absolute tragedy if Covid kills that off.
But even at Div 1 level there are big hitters owning or in the background of quite a few clubs.

The football authorities chunter on about how, why and where to finish the season, the reality is no one has any idea if football clubs can start any matches safely and also have all the required staff involved, you need every club, players, staff and all the people in the background on board, the current virus situation is still in the unknown stage, can you force everyone needed to complete the season when the future is still up in the air.

From the BBC

"Now, faced with a £340m repayment to TV broadcasters even if matches go ahead, other problems have come to light that affect more clubs.

Emirates and Etihad Airlines, Amex, Vitality and King Power have spent huge sums for Premier League teams to play in stadiums named after them.

Sponsors pay for their names to be placed on LCD advertising boards. Clubs don't want to be negotiating rebates. Discussions with the authorities are on going."

Come to light...they have been talking about it for weeks and even shirt sponsors are looking at their associations, branding, how that sits the team and perception.

I also believe for LG1, the way forward requires almost total consensus across the league, 90% I believe. I just can't see that happening unless a big compromise is made. I don't believe Rotherham and Coventry have indicated a strong desire to "finish the league as well"

Well it seems the plan is to keep kicking the can down the road until all other options become untenable, that way no-one has to be responsible for making an actual decision. I can't say I'm thrilled that OUFC are part of MacAnthony's gang of six, he is a bit of a tosser.

Back
Top Bottom