Away Match Day Thread *** 4/8/2018 Barnsley FC v OUFC match day thread ***

Transfer fee agreed for a midfielder. Sounds like Blades internally are mucking us about with Holmes. KR not happy with midfield at all.

Win, lose or draw, I can't bring myself to listen to the post-match phone-in.

That's a poor start to the season for certain, but we started the last one pretty well, and we know how that turned out. Long way to go yet.
I only waited for KRs comments and the radio is off now. I am constantly amazed at some of our fans who fly off the handle and go to the worst possible point of view. Why bother??????????????

And so we should be peeved, not good enough by the sounds of it, quality 3-4 permanent players needed ASAP

So first day:

-Lost 4-0.
-Key player injured, possibly out for 3 months.
-Swindon win from a hatrick by a player we decided not to sign.

Gotta laugh!

That was very, very poor today unfortunately.

We started off very slowly, but did manage to get a bit of a grip on the game for 10-15 minutes or so leading up to their first goal. But then Carruthers went off and they scored whilst we were down to ten men, and we just weren't in it from then on.

Robinson switched it to 442 but with Henry and Mackie on the wings we had no width or pace whatsoever. When either full back got the ball they had nothing on other than long balls into the channels or one of the strikers' heads.

Our midfield was completely overran, and neither Ruffels nor Brannagan were able to get any sort of control on the match. As much of a useful squad player as he is, Ruffels just isn't good enough to be starting at this level if we want to push for the play-offs. Hopefully this new midfielder will be someone that can allow Brannagan to have more of a free role because he's wasted at the moment.

The only positive was Hall. Ran at them when he came on, and got 2/3 decent shots off. Hopefully he'll be fit enough to start next week, and it would be even better if he starts alongside Holmes in the front 3.

Anyway, at least that one is out the way. Hopefully 4 players will come in this week and we'll get a better indication of where we are next Saturday.

Not all doom and gloom from me. Barnsley are a strong talented team. Their number 8 ran the match. They harried us all match. Overran us in midfield. Barnsley will be top 6 at least this season. We have some good attacking players but there is is no point in having them if they don't get the ball. Hall was more of a threat in his 30 mins than obika and Mackie combined. Obika is not good enough. Last season showed that. He crumbles when chances come his way. Should have been 1-2 then bang 0-3. Not impressed with Garbutt. Their right winger got round him time and again. Need 2 strong midfielders if this team is going to work.

We started off very slowly, but did manage to get a bit of a grip on the game for 10-15 minutes or so leading up to their first goal. But then Carruthers went off and they scored whilst we were down to ten men, and we just weren't in it from then on.

Robinson switched it to 442 but with Henry and Mackie on the wings we had no width or pace whatsoever. When either full back got the ball they had nothing on other than long balls into the channels or one of the strikers' heads.

Our midfield was completely overran, and neither Ruffels nor Brannagan were able to get any sort of control on the match. As much of a useful squad player as he is, Ruffels just isn't good enough to be starting at this level if we want to push for the play-offs. Hopefully this new midfielder will be someone that can allow Brannagan to have more of a free role because he's wasted at the moment.

The only positive was Hall. Ran at them when he came on, and got 2/3 decent shots off. Hopefully he'll be fit enough to start next week, and it would be even better if he starts alongside Holmes in the front 3.

Anyway, at least that one is out the way. Hopefully 4 players will come in this week and we'll get a better indication of where we are next Saturday.

Dont get beaten up over it. Its a beautiful Summer's evening so lets enjoy it. Few exciting signings midweek and forward to Saturday. KR said it how it is and I admire him for that.

And reality shows up the quality of the squad. We lack a defensive midfield and we (still) lack height.

What Mackie is supposed to bring I don't know.

Have we missed out on key signings?
I think so and maybe Holmes as well now everything had been agreed between the U’s and he blades but Holmes who has been with us this week has not signed

Yes we lost, but the first few games were always going to be time for the players to get to know each other.
With Holmes, the agreed fee player and the last bit of business KR discussed in his interview, and more time sole searching following this defeat, I believe we will see a different team next week. We were in awe of Barnsley today, and their ground.
By the time Sunderland away comes around it will be more like Middlesbrough was. 2000 plus yellows giving it their all, with points on the board.
The next few days may define our season. Get the right players that KR thinks we need, and we will be up there challenging for the play offs.

I think so and maybe Holmes as well now everything had been agreed between the U’s and he blades but Holmes who has been with us this week has not signed

Well, we don't know the exact details other than "one signature" missing. We do now know that Tiger agreed a figure with another club to buy a player and that, that player would be a significant addition. Now we need a replacement for Carruthers as well!

I hope the finance backing is available, if not, we are in trouble. Granted, we hope that there will be few clubs that can repeat what Barnsley did to us today but the possibilities are out there. Sunderland and Charlton today showed some very good football. Maguire looked especially happy in the set up.

Yes we lost, but the first few games were always going to be time for the players to get to know each other.
With Holmes, the agreed fee player and the last bit of business KR discussed in his interview, and more time sole searching following this defeat, I believe we will see a different team next week. We were in awe of Barnsley today, and their ground.
By the time Sunderland away comes around it will be more like Middlesbrough was. 2000 plus yellows giving it their all, with points on the board.
The next few days may define our season. Get the right players that KR thinks we need, and we will be up there challenging for the play offs.

Listen to the interview again Holmes only had to sign but didn’t and the agreed fee player only had to sign.

Dear KR : please can you get rid of Obika, I dont care if its on loan, transfer , free transfer or to a charity shop. Everytime he was named in the team last season my heart sank (for obvious reasons), going by todays performance I dont think it will be any better. Best to have no stricker than a sh*t one!

I dont care about 8 pre season goals, if he cant score against teams in our division we are not going to compete.

Given the overhaul and the late business we’ve done it can’t possibly be as bad as it looks

Still, disconcerting to hear Kr blame a lack of commitment. If they ain’t trying in game one there’s a problem

Not sure what to make of it

Back
Top Bottom