Away Match Build Up 29/01/2022 L1: Gillingham v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
only 586 tickets sold for tomorrow.

It's a staggeringly low figure for a support base with aspirations to be in the conversation for some of the best players available in January! Yet again for this season, our away following is going to be bang average - at best.

Just a thought If the club announce a couple of signings before the 3pm ticket deadline a few more may decide to go.

only 586 tickets sold for tomorrow.

It's a staggeringly low figure for a support base with aspirations to be in the conversation for some of the best players available in January! Yet again for this season, our away following is going to be bang average - at best.
That is very poor.

18,000 you say?

Just a thought If the club announce a couple of signings before the 3pm ticket deadline a few more may decide to go.

Surely our supporters do not need the nugget of a signing, in order to travel to get behind our team??

No excuses, 586 is a desperate effort!

Surely our supporters do not need the nugget of a signing, in order to travel to get behind our team??

I'd also say it's disappointing, and would have hoped/expected 1,000+ would travel.

That said there's a small amount of mitigation in that Gillingham is not as close a trip as people imagine, it's a horrible drive right round the M25, so journey time is probably similar to one of the northern teams. Also, when you get there it's a pretty s**t day out, a lack of decent pubs, parking is difficult, and then there's the scaffolding. Added to that the fact that no sales on the day are available, and I think each one of those things has a small effect that makes the difference between 1,000 and the 750 that we're likely to end up taking. We've also played them a lot, so there's no novelty factor.

As I say, poor, but there are reasons that partly explain it.

If I was still doing away games but I had to pick and choose like I used to have to then Gillingham isn’t near the top of the pile. Actually never been, so that proves the point. Used to do one a month at the most for financial reasons, now do none a month for financial reasons (home games are a 110 mile journey, I have a family and I am doing up a fairly recently bought house).

Out of the away games around Gillingham I would of done Wycombe and then Charlton, expect that’s the same for most people on a budget and stretched for time. Not everyone has an endless amount of both.

I'd also say it's disappointing, and would have hoped/expected 1,000+ would travel.

That said there's a small amount of mitigation in that Gillingham is not as close a trip as people imagine, it's a horrible drive right round the M25, so journey time is probably similar to one of the northern teams. Also, when you get there it's a pretty s**t day out, a lack of decent pubs, parking is difficult, and then there's the scaffolding. Added to that the fact that no sales on the day are available, and I think each one of those things has a small effect that makes the difference between 1,000 and the 750 that we're likely to end up taking. We've also played them a lot, so there's no novelty factor.

As I say, poor, but there are reasons that partly explain it.

I hear you CB. It certainly isn't my favourite away venue and as you say, it isn't great for a pint pre-match. Having said that, there are not many teams that can get to Gills without using the M25 and with that in mind, i'd be surprised if our following tomorrow is amongst the top end come the end of the season at Gillingham. When you consider we are going for promotion, it is a poor effort.

You can get return travel on the LRTC for £20. It doesn't have to be an extortionate amount of dough to spend by going via train into London etc.

I'll be surprised if there is as many as 750 in attendance.

I hear you CB. It certainly isn't my favourite away venue and as you say, it isn't great for a pint pre-match. Having said that, there are not many teams that can get to Gills without using the M25 and with that in mind, i'd be surprised if our following tomorrow is amongst the top end come the end of the season at Gillingham. When you consider we are going for promotion, it is a poor effort.

You can get return travel on the LRTC for £20. It doesn't have to be an extortionate amount of dough to spend by going via train into London etc.

I'll be surprised if there is as many as 750 in attendance.

Don't worry next year I will be able to do a few away games as my boys football moves from a sat morning currently to a Sunday morning. 🙂 think alot of people are put off with the scaffold stand at Gillingham and with it still being January people are still skint from Xmas.

I find this term ‘poor effort’ used for away following quite odd. 🤷‍♂️

Dozens of reasons why people don’t have this one high on their agenda.

Oxford could be playing on the Gaza Strip and i would want to go :ROFLMAO:

A 2.5 hour journey to Kent, on a Saturday, on payday weekend, with the team in a promotion race in my opinion, should be attracting more than 580 odd ticket sales by 10.30am the day before the game.

For my money, it is a poor effort.

A 2.5 hour journey to Kent, on a Saturday, on payday weekend, with the team in a promotion race in my opinion, should be attracting more than 580 odd ticket sales by 10.30am the day before the game.

Basically it's a leisure activity, I'm not sure we should look at it in terms of effort or obligation.

I'm too lazy to go to many away games but I hate to miss a home match.

I don't get paid till Monday 🙄

Got mine and heading down from Derby.
Prior to Winnall's header last week, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind, but immediately after, the plan started formulating in my head and with the number of normally "doable" games that have ended up on Tuesdays (Wigan/Accy/Crewe) here we are, I'll be on the golf stand tomorrow!

Last edited:

It's not great by any means, but an awful place and awful stand to be in.
I go to a few away games a season but Gillingham would be near the bottom of games I would want to go to.

It's not great by any means, but an awful place and awful stand to be in.
I go to a few away games a season but Gillingham would be near the bottom of games I would want to go to.
It’s the very bottom of our list. Horrible team, horrible away end and a horrible journey from Gloucestershire. Last time was a miserable experience. And Fatty Evans left the grass long.

When we went to Bradford in late 2010, the day that we got absolutely spanked 5-0 and ended up with nine men after both Wright and Creighton got sent off, myself and Chris Williams (among others) were driving towards the ground when we noticed some graffiti on a wall that read:

Free Gazza strip now.

“Well Birdio,” he said, “I’m not sure how getting our kit off is going to help Gazza get free of the booze, but if someone really thinks that it’s going to make a difference then I think we should try.”

It was the only time we laughed that day.

Then on the way home I fell asleep and my chewing gum fell out of my mouth and into my hand, where it proceeded to stick to my skin with industrial strength. I must’ve squeezed my palm at some point (or somebody did it for me for a laugh) because it was also stuck to my fingers, which meant it was a bit like a concrete spider web. I had to get a mate’s dad to clean it off for me using a combination of washing up liquid and sugar, otherwise I would’ve probably had to go and sit in the hospital like a moron.

I wouldn’t watch Oxford play in Gaza. Not after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom