Away Match Day Thread 29/01/2022 L1: Gillingham v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful headed goal by new signing Baath in the mackem’s game. Lol roflmao :)

FKTJFveWUAcjgqo

What do we think of the four penalty decisions? From the highlights I'd say first definite, middle two tangles more than fouls but are often given as soon as player goes down, and defender very unlucky with the fourth - I'd have personally waved play on if it was me.

Great to get them all, great for Bran to get the record, but in a season where ' these things are meant to average out' I think I'd have happily traded a couple in to get the same decision in another, closer, game instead

What do we think of the four penalty decisions? From the highlights I'd say first definite, middle two tangles more than fouls but are often given as soon as player goes down, and defender very unlucky with the fourth - I'd have personally waved play on if it was me.

Great to get them all, great for Bran to get the record, but in a season where ' these things are meant to average out' I think I'd have happily traded a couple in to get the same decision in another, closer, game instead
think the only one that could not have been given was the foul on Long.

Ex PL referee and I think he got them all right. First one he scythed him down. Second was the clearest of the lot. Third it wasn’t the tangle, he caught him on the heel - definite penalty. The handball was the most indistinguishable from the footage but by the appeals from Oxford players, the resigned look of the defenders and the positioning of the referee you have to assume there was a clear handball to nudge the ball away.

Madley reffed one of our gams at home earlier in the season and he was exceptional that day, the best I’ve seen in years at our place.

I know what you mean but I wouldnt worry. Overall I think we’re still owed a few more credits! 🤞

Things only average out over a very long timescale. Getting 4 pens in one game has no bearing on our other games.

Without wanting to get too slushy and sentimental on this Sunday morning, Ive just watched the highlights and loved the celebration huddle after the last goal. To me It shows the whole squad are in it together. Even the players who arent getting as many starts as theyd probably like ❤️❤️

Bobby Madeley the ref?

Perhaps he gave us all them pens, because of his total incompetence to send the Blackpool player off after 2 mins for bringing down Sykes clean through on goal, in our first leg of last seasons playoff semi final.

One last moan (this week) from regarding kits...

Brannagan's exploits are making headlines nationally and internationally and the footage of it shows us wearing royal blue and white, colours more associated with Reading than with our club, rather than our yellow. It makes absolutely no sense that against Wycombe and Gillingham whose kits are predominantly blue that we'd choose not to wear yellow but a kit that contains a large amount of blue!

Club identity is important, we should always wear yellow unless absolutely necessary to change. Cue arguments about flogging shirts...

Other then that things are pretty amazing currently and long may it continue!

Not sure if it’s been mentioned or not - but I thought the conduct of (most of their fans) was pretty commendable yesterday.

Yes there was an idiot on the pitch and a few more who reportedly threw objects at our players as they celebrated - but they were the minority who don’t truly represent their club. We’ve been down there in relegation scraps. We’ve had issues with owners/chairmen etc. We’ve been tonked at home from time to time - so we know how it feels.

For the most part I thought the fans that were there actually didn’t turn on their team en masse despite the drubbing - but vented their frustration towards the ownership. They stayed pretty steadfast in that even as the goals kept coming - and when we REALLY got slack in the final third of the game they stayed with their team as they put some pressure on us (and, even if it was laced with irony, they really did celebrate their goals).

I know it sounds condescending after we stuffed them on their own ground - but I vividly remember some of our relegation seasons, and struggles with ownership/mismanagement etc. Clearly I want the points and the goal difference, but it isn’t pleasurable watching teams (that aren’t Swindon or Reading) suffering like that. Given the situation I do think their fans deserved a mention and acted admirably

(On our part - it was professional in the first half. We killed them across the first 20 minutes of the first half, then the first ten minutes of the second. I will say that after we went 5-0 up and made changes our performance was actually pretty poor for 15-20 minutes or so. The move for our seventh was beautiful to watch though.

Just hope we haven’t exhausted our luck/scoring boots with two huge games this week! And with Thorniley gone I really hope we are investing some money into a quality CB. We don’t need ‘one for the future’ - McNally ticks that box. We need genuine, hardened quality who can help us keep clean sheets and pick up points right away. For all the joy of the last two wins, we’ve still shipped four goals…)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom