Away Match Day Thread +++ 25/08/2020 Friendly Crystal Palace v OUFC +++

Good and bad from the second half:

Good:

Dickie still has it

Rob Hall seems so much sharper and fitter than he was, definitely good enough to be in our squad now

Liam Kelly can play a good ball in, and we had chances from corners at last

Bad:

Way too many individual errors from Oxford players

The new formation didn’t seem anywhere near as good

Gorrin can’t play in a more advanced central midfield position

Mousinho looked as dodgy as hell

Clare was a bit disappointing

Osei-Yaw doesn’t seem very effective as a central striker

Did you not see Sam Long? I thought he was excellent in the first half.

Agyei showing good strength there
Agyei looking really strong on the ball.
He’s wasted out wide. When you play the ball into his feet he can hold off any centre half, and looks to get on the turn and drive. He did this for fun during his loan at Coventry and there is footage galore of him doing it on YouTube. He’s raw and far from perfect (that, er, ‘shot’ was a bit off...) but he is a central striker who offers a different angle. If he’s going to be farmed out to the wing, forget it.

Yes, a good workout and (especially since this is the fourth game in five days - which I personally think is stark staring bonkers) I thought it was fairly encouraging. Cooper looks like a find and Brannagan / McGuane seems like a promising combination. Hall seems to have got some of his old self back.
Given the players we were up against - a positive.

He’s wasted out wide. When you play the ball into his feet he can hold off any centre half, and looks to get on the turn and drive. He did this for fun during his loan at Coventry and there is footage galore of him doing it on YouTube. He’s raw and far from perfect (that, er, ‘shot’ was a bit off...) but he is a central striker who offers a different angle. If he’s going to be farmed out to the wing, forget it.

Good point, a key skill of his does seem to be that move of letting the defender get close to him while shielding the ball, and then holding him off and driving away. I’d definitely like to see him be given a chance more centrally

I think we can be well pleased with the performance. 1st some really good performances especially from Cooper, Long, both center backs, Stevens( needs to work on his distribution especially when going long). Scored a very good goal. 2nd half got caught cold at the start probably because of all the changes. Formation didn’t really work 2nd half needed another Matty Taylor type of striker.
Overall though a very pleasing performance. Quietly optimistic about the coming season a little tweak hear and there and we will finish top 2.COYY
New shirt looked better actually on players than just a photo. If the away shirt is as good as last seasons I will probably buy both.

Look good to me! Just need some added depth up front. Definitely a striker and possibly another winger?

We have lost so much up front since Matty was taken off, confirms many supporters thoughts, that we need a striker

Agyei is better coming from out wide. We need another centre forward. Atleast this game has showed that. If we had continued from the first half and beat Palace. Robbo and the board would think its job done in the transfer window. Blessing in disguise maybe.

Took us a while to adjust to all the changes at half time but overall I think we looked good played some nice football and very encouraging for the new season.

COYY

The only slight concern i have is no real back-up for Taylor. We have Agyei who seems to naturally gravitate to wide forward, and Derick Osei Yaw who also seems to be more of a wide player who prefers to run at the opposition goal rather than hold the ball up and bring others into play. And, I have to say it - Napa looked a fair bit away from real first team contention despite some nice touches.

Plus points in the second half - Hall looked good in a slightly deeper role and Kelly looked tidy. I think Clare will be fine once hes settled in, he looks a good athletic footballer.

The only slight concern i have is no real back-up for Taylor. We have Agyei who seems to naturally gravitate to wide forward, and Derick Osei Yaw who also seems to be more of a wide player who prefers to run at the opposition goal rather than hold the ball up and bring others into play.
Agyei is played as a winger - he doesn’t decide to go wide himself, that’s where he’s told to play when he features - and Osei was played as a central striker today. For me they were in the wrong positions. That they didn’t even swap for 15 minutes was bizarre.

I'm getting used to seeing us on live streamed games. Hopefully they'll be more this pre season although I'm not sure how that can happen except for matches vs teams with their own TV service.

Agyei is played as a winger - he doesn’t decide to go wide himself, that’s where he’s told to play when he features - and Osei was played as a central striker today. For me they were in the wrong positions. That they didn’t even swap for 15 minutes was bizarre.

^^ this.....

Back
Top Bottom