Away Match Day Thread +++ 29/08/2020 Friendly Brentford v OUFC+++

International weekend - Totally bonkers, it is only that new United Nations Cup thingy, it should have been scrapped for this season. Due to Covid it is crazy players are travelling round Europe with other players from different clubs. With every European league starting late this season, surely there can't be any room for this cup.
Whoever thought it was sensible to play this international tournament this season must be mad.

But then Scotland wouldn't have their Cup Final Vs Israel.

I think we can all read too much into preseason friendlies at times, but there has been more positives than negatives from what I've seen. Clean sheets and lots of different goal scorers in the non-league games, followed by beating QPR, drawing against Brentford and a narrow defeat to Palace who all had decent sides out.

McGuane is a real find and looks like someone who will play at the highest level (again). Atkinson looks like he's been playing here for years and is more than ready to replace Dickie. Cooper was looking really good before his knock, and Sykes and Hall have both looked good and will be pushing the starting line up. Osei Yaw has also looked sharp and is probably ahead of Agyei as it stands for first change striker. Stevens has grown in confidence and is comfortably our no.2 keeper.

Established players like Brannagan, Moore Taylor and Ruffels have been solid, Henry, Gorrin and Long have had good spells and a few wobbly moments, and it's only really Mous who I think has struggled so far.

Overall, a pretty decent preparation for the real stuff on Saturday with maybe one or two coming in to get everyone buzzing.

you mean that Fosu, a Championship benchwarmer/ sub?.... Clare, on today's showing was rubbish defensively IMO
Yes, that's the one...a Championship benchwarmer/sub for half a season, who looked good enough to be a starter this season.

Didn't get to watch the match today, but must say I wasn't overly impressed by Clare v Palace. Reading through what some of you lot are saying, he's not overly impressed today either. Would you say stick to Long while Clare learns the position?

Didn't get to watch the match today, but must say I wasn't overly impressed by Clare v Palace. Reading through what some of you lot are saying, he's not overly impressed today either. Would you say stick to Long while Clare learns the position?
No.

Long was far worse than Clare today, and Clare did set-up our attack for the equaliser.

I'm not convinced by Clare, seems to lack confidence in his own ability. Eastwood has to give way, sorry, he's a good stopper but distribution is just lacking. Stevens needs to play more.
McGuane is the real deal. Del boy has enthusiasm galore and that will, hopefully, translate into performances.
Atkinson is a revelation. No two ways about it he is the next big find. Hopefully we can make the Championship this season because the offers will be coming in by January and we will need to keep hold of him.
Dear old Mous, what can you say? A wise head on a body that is beginning to let him down? Or has he still got enough to hold a place? Quite a few lazy passes today (along with one or two good)

Overall though, we have 90% of a top team. Couple of late additions and this is going to be a good season. Please let us hope that we can get to see the games in person.

I agree on Eastwood but it's not a popular opinion with the majority of Oxford fans. Is there room for being sentimental in modern football?

Eastwood seems like a good guy, so I do understand it to an extent.

Well, judging by recent performances [early doors] he's no Cadden that's for sure!
Maybe, he will take a leaf out of the Chris Cadds book and do his homework on opposition players that he is most likely to face on a weekly basis.

For me at the moment it should be Long for away matches and Clare in for the home games.

Hard to say. He's not a natural RB and that appears quite evident, but he's got the athleticism and build to make it work. Long also struggled big time today, but he was up against a lively Fosu.

I just think we're going to need to be patient with Clare and accept that he's being asked to do a lot of stuff that he's not used to doing. Hopefully the coaching staff can turn him into the League 1 standard RB that they (and the recruitment team) obviously think he can be.

Yes, that's the one...a Championship benchwarmer/sub for half a season, who looked good enough to be a starter this season.
he did play well and look like a championship starter today (Fosu) ... though the commentators did keep insisting that it was Brentfords B team

Back
Top Bottom