Home Match Day Thread 26/12/2020 L1 OUFC v AFC Wimbledon

Stevens, Atkinson, McGuane, Taylor all very good, as were many others

Ruffels and Henry quiet/below average yet again, but they will never be dropped so it doesn’t really matter.

Dan Agyei continues to frustrate when he can produce the performance he did when coming on against Northampton yet also gave us something of nothing today and less against Swindon.

Against Northampton, we were dominating the middle of the park and they had thrown in the towel completely. Perfect situation to go and get on the ball and show what you can do.

Today (and against Swindon), we were being dominated in the middle against a team that was scrapping like hell to get something from the game. What we needed from our sub was someone with a cool head who would get on the ball and keep possession for a bit. What we got from Agyei was twenty minutes of high panic.

Reckon we need to get KR a cheat sheet for his attacking subs in games. Where necessary, it should be:

- If we're losing/drawing and need something from the game.....Agyei for Henry or Kelly (with Henry going into the middle).
- If we're winning but under the cosh....Agyei for Taylor, and then Clare/Hall/Forde for Henry/Kelly
- If we're winning and strolling to victory....whatever the hell he feels like....

Some thoughts:

- Fans in the ground really do make a difference.

- Just magnificent from Jack Stevens. Motm by a country mile.

- That chance just before half time, I know McGuane's effort wasn't great but it shouldn't have gone to him. Matty Taylor should have scored that himself, a simple toe punt to the side of the keeper and I reckon he'd have scored.

- That said what an excellent finish by Matty Taylor from a fantastic free kick by Liam Kelly. A lot of credit goes to Mous on the set pieces as we really are looking far more dangerous from them.

- Good finish by Jordan Obita as well. One of a number of good moves around that time.

- We had some chances from good bits of team play in the 2nd half on the break but didn't keep the ball well in the 2nd half. This applies to the 2nd half of the 1st half as well as we became sloppy with passes and clearances. Credit to Wimbledon, some of this was down to their press but plenty wasn't and all the outfield players had their moments doing this.

- If you are going to clear the ball out of the box, please don't pass it to an Oxford player on the edge of the box closely surrounded by 3 or 4 Wimbledon players. We did that too much today and invited additional pressure. Also when punting the ball out, please try to do it over head height.

- That said there was some good defending in amongst the panicky moments.

Dan Agyei continues to frustrate when he can produce the performance he did when coming on against Northampton yet also gave us something of nothing today and less against Swindon. Shodipo definitely looks better when he starts, but seems to lack motivation when coming off the bench. They have to accept that it's a squad game because, on form, they have so much more to offer.
I wouldn’t say it’s definite that they will have professional careers, I could see one or both dropping out of the league, though both have talent

Great to get 3 points but warning signs still there
Ruffels does not stop any crosses being made
Kelly to weak and slow in his current role even if half decent with the ball

Please get back soon Cam
Bran. Difference between top half and bottom half. McGuane still gets caught in possession, still doesn’t convince this supporter. Stevens superb shot stopping and presence but non league kicking. Ruffs needs a rest. So does Henry. But Robinson won’t start Clare and.Shodipo. He should. They have pace.

Think this game may be the most important in Jack Stevens' development. Defensively we've been relatively sound over the last few games and we haven't had a game where he's been this busy, to prove he can do it consistently over the course of 90 mins is more than Eastwood has managed since before March. It wasn't a great game, but it was a fantastic individual effort from one of our own in goal, especially when his distribution appears to be improving game on game.

We wont be that lucky again like we were today. Top class from Stevens and some superb defending. But why do we put pressure on ourselves, better side than Wimbledon would have pulled that two goal lead back and possibly beaten us today, pity that chance didnt go in on the stroke of halftime, may have made things easier second half..

Stick a fork in me - I'm done with the data - ball retention, second balls, pass completion blah blah blah.

We won the game. Essentially we were better in both Penalty areas and I applaud that. I would rather get in to the habit of winning matches than anything else.

A few observations from me....
Jack Stevens is the future. A really strong performance. He is delivering and long may it continue.

Sam Long has been putting some work in from where Im sitting. An extra yard of pace which was needed. Fair play to the lad.

Ruffels worries me. Distribution poor, not explosive enough, and took up some poor defensive positions. After studying it today, he is definitely being targeted by the opposition. They know what I know unfortunately.

Our centre backs looked decent - however I would get ourselves an experienced and robust centre back asap.

Mcguane is very good, I'm a little concerned about Henry, and Obita has a bit of class.

Taylor means goals - but I still think he is too isolated in general and would like someone closer to him who could pull a defence around a bit.

Please get back soon Cam
Bran. Difference between top half and bottom half. McGuane still gets caught in possession, still doesn’t convince this supporter. Stevens superb shot stopping and presence but non league kicking. Ruffs needs a rest. So does Henry. But Robinson won’t start Clare and.Shodipo. He should. They have pace.
Good points /observations

Hugely positive progress last few games in that we’ve gone from playing well and not winning to playing average and grinding out results.

that says to me that we have the spirit and hutzpah to stay up this season.

I’m inclined to believe that with a new left back then our back six are pretty complete. With consistently playing together and thus new resolve we should be able to keep accumulating points.

my concern is that the front five has got our manager a little confused both on next line up , best strategy and best formation. He’s overwhelmed with a whole heap of very similar utility forwards . Until we get some rhythm there we can’t threaten the top six....

however the eclectic and confusing thing about Karl’s reign at the helm is that we are capable of being abysmal for many consecutive games and equally getting on long invincible runs.

Some thoughts:

- Fans in the ground really do make a difference.

- Just magnificent from Jack Stevens. Motm by a country mile.

- That chance just before half time, I know McGuane's effort wasn't great but it shouldn't have gone to him. Matty Taylor should have scored that himself, a simple toe punt to the side of the keeper and I reckon he'd have scored.

- That said what an excellent finish by Matty Taylor from a fantastic free kick by Liam Kelly. A lot of credit goes to Mous on the set pieces as we really are looking far more dangerous from them.

- Good finish by Jordan Obita as well. One of a number of good moves around that time.

- We had some chances from good bits of team play in the 2nd half on the break but didn't keep the ball well in the 2nd half. This applies to the 2nd half of the 1st half as well as we became sloppy with passes and clearances. Credit to Wimbledon, some of this was down to their press but plenty wasn't and all the outfield players had their moments doing this.

- If you are going to clear the ball out of the box, please don't pass it to an Oxford player on the edge of the box closely surrounded by 3 or 4 Wimbledon players. We did that too much today and invited additional pressure. Also when punting the ball out, please try to do it over head height.

- That said there was some good defending in amongst the panicky moments.
Indeed but equally a lot of discredit goes to the coaching staff and/or KR for not coming up with these for several seasons - why does it need a crocked Mous to instigate it?

Indeed but equally a lot of discredit goes to the coaching staff and/or KR for not coming up with these for several seasons - why does it need a crocked Mous to instigate it?
It was something the club started looking at last season, but with Mous wanting to increase his coaching duties he was given ownership of set pieces for this season. Previously I believe Faz took this role, but he preferred a more conservative style that looked dated in all honesty.

We are not the team of last season. We have a few positives but still too many negatives. On one level Robinson had won me over insofar as the bluster that I once thought was tantamount to bullying I now see as genuine passion (my bad) but he has struggled to get it right consistently this season. It shows he is no Micheal Appleton.

Last edited:
Whilst I would like us to procure a bespoke left fullback as much as the next fan, I hope none of us lose sight of the fact that Josh Ruffels has essentially been filling in there for the past two seasons and by no means becomes dispensable. Whilst we have a log-jam in midfield, he was making a pretty good career there before the move to LB was enforced, and covers several positions as a utility. He deserves a further contract (and a chance at a midfield spot if replaced!) as such.

Stevens, Atkinson, McGuane, Taylor all very good, as were many others

Ruffels and Henry quiet/below average yet again, but they will never be dropped so it doesn’t really matter.
Despite his assist, Ruffels had an absolute shocker. Yet again. If we are able to get a decent LB in January, I would really like to see him pushed for his place in the side. I know we harp on about him being one of our own (he’s not), but without the defensive discipline of Obita ahead of him, he would have been ruined today and that’s been the case for many games this season. Sorry to say this but, but he’s not good enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom