Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Sub: Fleming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sub: Smith

• Sub: Smyth

• Total voters
Probably our biggest game since the Wycombe game when we won promotion from L2. This is THE opportunity not to take this torture to the last game of the season - providing we can get the job done too at FGR, which will then supersede tonight as the biggest game since the promotion. The reason I'm calling this game bigger than the Wycombe play off game at Wembley is because it wasn't a disaster to stay in L1 that season, yes of course promotion to the Championship would have been great but the fall back was remaining in a healthy and competitive L1 - still a decent standard for where we were as a club at that moment.

With the stadium hopefully on the horizon, a new era under new management and a lot of off field stuff supposedly taking shape, relegation back to a northern heavy L2 and the likes of Barrow, Harrogate, Salford, Carlisle, probably Accrington and Morecambe too, to look forward to fills you with dread. Let's be honest, Swindon - and the likes of Bradford - should be a big club in that league but they're languishing in mid-table and showing that it isn't plane sailing getting back up to L1. Two derby games and the likes of Wrexham will appeal but there aren't too many other fixtures that whet the appetite.

Massive game tonight and the importance of it cannot be under estimated. Win and it's a giant leap towards safety.

No Donks in the squad tonight .... guessing it could be (alas) Smith and Joseph up front?

feel confident we'll somehow get a much needed win, 3-1 would be good, 1-0 would suffice

( tribute to my late Dad ,Ray, is supposed in tonights match programme- should've been in the Pompey matchday programme- so I shant believe it till I see it- come Oxford, even if not for anyone else, win this one for me Dad )

I can't believe that there isn't more optimism on here for tonight? I know we haven't won since God was a lad, and we're not scoring much, but it's not like we're not creating chances or seeing improvements in performances.

I'm confident that we'll get back to winning ways tonight and take the pressure off ahead of our game on Saturday where I think we'll also win to all but guarantee our safety.

Oxford 2 - Cheltenham 0
Moore and Murphy
Me and my lad will be there tonight but am getting a bit tired of PRB radio ox keep saying the same s**t after every game WE PLAYED WELL PLAYERS CAN DO NO MORE ect it's just getting boring listening to them YES proformances are getting better BUT a good proformance doesn't win you games I don't care if its boring but winning 1-0 I be happy taking that over a good proformance.Anyway rant over COYY be singing loud and proud tonight to get this dross across the line 👍

No Donks in the squad tonight .... guessing it could be (alas) Smith and Joseph up front?

feel confident we'll somehow get a much needed win, 3-1 would be good, 1-0 would suffice

( tribute to my late Dad ,Ray, is supposed in tonights match programme- should've been in the Pompey matchday programme- so I shant believe it till I see it- come Oxford, even if not for anyone else, win this one for me Dad )
I hope we do see Smith tonight should be fired up and show manning what he's missing out on a point to prove me thinks

I hope we do see Smith tonight should be fired up and show manning what he's missing out on a point to prove me thinks
hope youre right, Smith has got, at best, 3 games to make his point .... and deliver some goals ( we f*****g need goals!)

I have to add the opening bit before others do!!

We're all worn down by history, it's part of being an Oxford fan! Our last relegation haunts me to this day and I don't ever want a repeat of that. But we also have hope, even if it is sometimes hard to find. Although I'm on huge amounts of medication at the moment which might be helping!!!
Care to share?

Our odds of winning today are almost the same as Plymouth to beat rovers - that seems nuts.

I am surprised at that as well.
I did think that Cheltenham were on a very good run. Is that right, 1 win in 5 for them?
Yep but they've collected a few decent draws of late and are scoring goals in recent weeks - 3 away at Peterborough, 2 against Wednesday a 1-1 draw against Ipswich, 3-1 win over Exeter and a 2-2 draw against the Dons. Half-arsed it against FGR and still won 3-1 at the weekend too. This is what happens when you have strikers. We were once well clear of them along with the likes of Burton and Cambridge.

If Tyler Smith does play this evening then he is going to need service. Not hoof balls but crosses to his feet. We have wingers and the talent to supply but, the tactics have got to match the skill sets on the pitch.
Brannagan must play further forward in order that he get opportunity to shoot and, again, Smith must be there to pick up any rebounds, loose clearances, spills from the keeper etc. Joseph, Goodrham, Murphy, Wildschut and Browne are all capable of crossing and getting into positions to pass along the ground. (if they all turn up, of course)

Last edited:
It will be a 4-2-3-1, its the modern coaches preferred formation, Robinson kept returning to it and Manning seems to love it so no point hoping for a bit of tactical flexibility. Back seven will be the same with Goodrham, Browne, Murphy behind Joseph up front on his own, draw or Cheltenham win, Accrington lose but we will be a game down but no further on as the not winning run continues and makes Forest Green Saturday an absolute must win.

Hopefully I am wrong and the run from hell has just turned me into Kip (do really fancy a KFC at the moment)

I like the idea of playing Tyler Goodrham as the striker. I know that he's short, but not much shorter than Smith, but he gives so much energy and fight and is not afraid to shoot.

But if he plays up top then you need Joseph playing off him to win any balls in the air, but Tyler could be the perfect player to pick up and knock downs in and around the box. I wouldn't be against Smith playing and in a similar role, but he needs to be up for the fight and ready to give everything.

I'd also start with Murphy who was much improved when he came on at the weekend and can turn any game in an instance if he is on top form. It is asking a lot, but I think that our crowd really need to get behind him too. He looks the sort of player that needs lifting, and we all have to do what we can to get us the results we need.

I'm sure most won't agree, but I think Brannagan looks a better player when directing play from the back. A few years back he dropped back to replace Gorin and we looked better for it. But we need to have confidence in the defence doing their part, and that will give him licence to get around the box when we're in possession.

Play on the front foot from the start, like we did against Portsmouth and we will win tonight. But we need belief in the players and on the stands. This is our biggest game in years, and although it's not been the season that any of us would have wanted, we have three games left to wipe the slate clean and start again.

I fear we will all be disappointed by the final whistle.
If we perform as we can we'll be OK, but there is a big "18" hanging over every player's head.
Don't even care about the performance...a win, however it happens. Own goal, debatable penalty, ANYTHING!
A pensive COYY!
Fog!

Shame Smith never had proper game time and now we may need to rely on him, poor management.

Back
Top Bottom