Matches 10k vs Wednesday

Agree ....Despite which Gerry Summers was the first manager under whom Oxford United were relegated
Mick Brown relegated us, not Summers.

Always remember hearing

We had Gerry Summers
And now we got Mick Brown
Ever since we got the t**t
We've been going down

Strange day of sales yesterday, and one of those situations that drive a dot counter suffering from OCD crazy!

At midnight we ended up at just over 7,300 sales, so a net improvement of 150 over the previous 24 hours. But, the club added back in 110 seats previously marked as sold, and then another 30 in the VIP area, meaning that we actually sold a very healthy 300 before the deductions. I wouldn't expect any further seats to be added back in now, so if sales continue at this rate we should (just about) hit the 10,000 mark.
Slightly early count tonight, but we're just on 7,500 which means approximately 200 sales today.

Sales are higher than the week leading up to the Derby game, so if we can hit 8,000 by midnight on Thursday, then I think we'll top the 10,000 mark, by the skin of our teeth, once on the day sales, boxes, and away fans added in.

Slightly early count tonight, but we're just on 7,500 which means approximately 200 sales today.

Sales are higher than the week leading up to the Derby game, so if we can hit 8,000 by midnight on Thursday, then I think we'll top the 10,000 mark, by the skin of our teeth, once on the day sales, boxes, and away fans added in.
If the forecasts are right for Friday, that’ll really help with on-the-day sales too.2D2CF515-C32E-4132-A8D1-CE8FC5220C2D.jpeg

Out of interest Colin, what is the average for on the day sales? I always find it strange, especially now a days, that people still leave it to the last minute to turn up to a game. I personally, always know by the day before the game if I am going to the game and go online to get my ticket.

Out of interest Colin, what is the average for on the day sales? I always find it strange, especially now a days, that people still leave it to the last minute to turn up to a game. I personally, always know by the day before the game if I am going to the game and go online to get my ticket.

Good question Steve.

The way that I do my count means that I don't count the number of people in the executive boxes, as they don't occupy a seat that is shown on the seating map. There are 290 spaces in the boxes, if all are sold, but of course occasionally they are not 100% full. So I usually close my count off at midnight on the Friday (this week it will be Thursday) and any difference between that figure and the final home attendance I count as "on the day" sales, although it will include the people in boxes.

The figure varies, but is usually between 350 and 650. So in real terms, excluding the people in boxes, it would be between 100 and 350 actually buying on the day.

Footnote: There is another post Covid factor that has also to be considered, and that is that some people may test positive in the days before a game, and return their tickets. Having spoken to the club about it this is not now a huge number, but has been quite high in the past.

Good question Steve.

The way that I do my count means that I don't count the number of people in the executive boxes, as they don't occupy a seat that is shown on the seating map. There are 290 spaces in the boxes, if all are sold, but of course occasionally they are not 100% full. So I usually close my count off at midnight on the Friday (this week it will be Thursday) and any difference between that figure and the final home attendance I count as "on the day" sales, although it will include the people in boxes.

The figure varies, but is usually between 350 and 650. So in real terms, excluding the people in boxes, it would be between 100 and 350 actually buying on the day.

Footnote: There is another post Covid factor that has also to be considered, and that is that some people may test positive in the days before a game, and return their tickets. Having spoken to the club about it this is not now a huge number, but has been quite high in the past.

It's this magnificent attention to detail that should never go missed!

Good question Steve.

Thanks for the in-depth response Colin. No further questions your honour.

Mick Brown relegated us, not Summers.

Always remember hearing

We had Gerry Summers
And now we got Mick Brown
Ever since we got the t**t
We've been going down
I stand corrected, cheers for the correction @bicesterox , at times memory isn't what it was - thankfully there's is Rage Online .... Gerry Summers left in 1975.... our first relegation was at the end of 75/76 season ( after 8 seasons in Division 2 - now the championship) - Mick Brown (out) steered us to our first football league relegation....

as an aside didn't that Mick Brown go on to have a stint as assistant manager at Manchester United?

as an aside didn't that Mick Brown go on to have a stint as assistant manager at Manchester United?
Yes, when Ron Atkinson was manager in the early 80s. He would have been in the dugout watching Steve Biggins loop in the winner in 1983... Happy Days 😁

A very poor shot of Brown on the pitch that day taken from the match video on YouTube...

1680687755591.png

Home sales as of 6pm on Wednesday are 7,615 with 1,939 seats still left (SSL - 540, SSU - 376, ES - 499, NS - 524).

Add in approx 1,700 for boxes and away sales and we are up to an estimated 9,315 so we will need strong sales this evening, tomorrow and match day to get up to 10,000. It's still possible but there have only been 115 sales today based on Colin's figures from last night.

Maybe it's just me (and admittedly looking in from afar) but the marketing/promotional push for the match seems quiet enough.

Home sales as of 6pm on Wednesday are 7,615 with 1,939 seats still left (SSL - 540, SSU - 376, ES - 499, NS - 524).

Add in approx 1,700 for boxes and away sales and we are up to an estimated 9,315 so we will need strong sales this evening, tomorrow and match day to get up to 10,000. It's still possible but there have only been 115 sales today based on Colin's figures from last night.

Maybe it's just me (and admittedly looking in from afar) but the marketing/promotional push for the match seems quiet enough.
Interesting, as I've got us at 7,665 currently, with over 150 sales since about 10pm last night. I estimate that we need to be at 7,750 at midnight, with 250 tomorrow, and 500 on the day sales, to get to 10,000.

As you say @Thecurraghofkildare it's going to be close, but the optimist in me thinks we might just do it. This is the kind of grandstand finish us dot counters have been missing!!!

Interesting, as I've got us at 7,665 currently, with over 150 sales since about 10pm last night. I estimate that we need to be at 7,750 at midnight, with 250 tomorrow, and 500 on the day sales, to get to 10,000.

As you say @Thecurraghofkildare it's going to be close, but the optimist in me thinks we might just do it. This is the kind of grandstand finish us dot counters have been missing!!!
I had us at 7,727 at 11pm last night, so 23 shy of my 7,750 target, but with an hour to go, so pretty much on target. Sales yesterday were 233 so a similar figure today is required, and is likely, as the day before match day is usually the busiest.

One interesting aside is that the presence of the SKY cameras hasn't slowed sales one bit, and they are better than for the Derby game. I'll try to do an afternoon count, and then one at midnight.

I thought it only fair to help out the dot counters it’s a bank holiday, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 cup of tea thanks dear, 8,9,10,11 the taps dripping I’ll have a look 5486,5487,5488,5489 you’ve lost your keys and want me to help you look for them ok 1,2,3,4,5 oh #£@£ it leave it to the professionals.

Back
Top Bottom