Dot Counting Wycombe 10k - Oct 28th

Attendance tracking
Hard to know whether Wycombe will bring as many as last year (when their attendance was 1,386) but it looks like we will need a similar level of turn out from them to hit the 10,000 figure now. Could really do with a strong marketing push from the club today/tomorrow as well because it has felt quiet enough to date.

They've got the player signing session in John Lewis later today - I don't know if that leads to an uptick in sales. The last one was well attended at least

Banbury reds? Do they support Manchester United? Sorry never heard of Banbury reds.
Used to see a 'Banbury Reds' flag in the Cuckoo Lane at The Manor often when we played Man Utd.

5.00pm update on Thursday and another 46 sales this afternoon, meaning we are up to a total of 7,514 home seat sales, leaving 2,040 still available.

Add in a boxes estimate of 170 and based on the Wycombe 'only a handful left' post earlier, let's assume an away attendance of 1,400 (last year there were 1,386 and their allocation this season is 1,467) and that takes us to an overall estimated total of 9,084 so far.

I've seen a lot of previous, Oxford / Banbury over the years, Banbury reds.Also Oxford fans stopping off ,in Banbury on the way home, from matches up north, & Midlands. It also seemed to permanently kick off, when a team from Oxford & Banbury met in one of the local Saturday & Sunday League, cup games & that was just the players... Maybe not now , but definitely previously....
Certainly in the Sam waters cup it’s kicked off a few times , there was also an incident at pear tree services where fans of the prince of wales pub smashed the place up . Banbury reds was and still is a thing but numbers have dwindled . As for any animosity between the two places , not really .

As @Thecurraghofkildare says above sales definitely slowed yesterday. I had us at 7,429 so we have the same numbers.

We sold about 150 yesterday, which is our lowest Wednesday sales of the season, with the exception of the Charlton game, where we inexplicably only sold about 100 on the Wednesday. Wednesday sales are usually fairly consistent at about 200, and this game had been selling well, so I'd have expected about 250, so we're certainly down.

It could be that those who didn't buy will buy today or tomorrow, as they were maybe not in the mood after a defeat yesterday? It could be that sales will now tail off, which would be a very poor inditement on our fanbase, if that proved to be the case. I'd hope that we're better than that!

We normally sell 200/300 on a Thursday and between 1,400/1,600 from this point on. The only time we didn't was the Bristol Rovers early kick off, where we only sold 1,000 with much lower match day sales than usual. In summary I'd still expect between 8,800/9,000 home fans to attend. With the away following we should still be above 10,000 (just!).
Midnight count had us at just over 7,600 home sales. We sold a net of just under 200, but over 200 when taking into account that a number of extra seats were added in to the VIP section. There were 25 of those seats remaining at midnight.

That's slightly slower than hoped for, but by no means a disaster. So I did a count at 10am this morning and pleased to see a further 75 have been sold since midnight. We're currently 300 behind our Friday midnight sales for Blackpool, so I'd expect that number to be exceeded, as we normally do 450+ on a Friday, and have sold as many as 650.

With the sales from Wycombe, on their big day out, looking healthy, I think we're heading for about 10,200 total.

11.45am update and home seat sales now stand at 7,719 which means there are 1,835 still available.

The remaining seats are spit

South Stand Lower 622
South Stand Upper 427 (still 20 decent seats together in central block 12)
East Stand 454
North Stand 332 (continues to sell fastest including the family sections)

Add in a box estimate of 170 and an away sales estimate of 1,400 and that takes us to 9,289 as an overall estimate. Would expect 800+ more home seat sales from this point so we should exceed 10,000 assuming Wycombe travel in the expected numbers.

7,803 as of just now, so exactly 200 sold so far today, and sales are picking up.

Last season we had 8,621 home fans in attendance against Wycombe, and the season before 7,577. This indicates that they're not a huge draw for Oxford fans, certainly not on the scale of Swindon or Reading, and neither on the scale of the "big" clubs that we've played in League One over the last few season, such as Wednesday, Derby, Ipswich, Sunderland etc.

I think we'll end up with more home fans at this game than any other home game so far this season, except the Exeter ticket promotion game, so I really don't think it can be called slow. It was slow on Wednesday, and moderate/reasonable yesterday, but every other day has been good.

This indicates that they're not a huge draw for Oxford fans, certainly not on the scale of Swindon or Reading, and neither on the scale of the "big" clubs that we've played in League One over the last few season, such as Wednesday, Derby, Ipswich, Sunderland etc.
That’s an interesting dynamic.

Swindon, obviously. Big teams in the cups, get that.

But is opposition such as those others you listed more attractive than league position? Tickets sales certainly suggest that’s true. To me, that’s weird.

7,803 as of just now, so exactly 200 sold so far today, and sales are picking up.

Last season we had 8,621 home fans in attendance against Wycombe, and the season before 7,577. This indicates that they're not a huge draw for Oxford fans, certainly not on the scale of Swindon or Reading, and neither on the scale of the "big" clubs that we've played in League One over the last few season, such as Wednesday, Derby, Ipswich, Sunderland etc.

I think we'll end up with more home fans at this game than any other home game so far this season, except the Exeter ticket promotion game, so I really don't think it can be called slow. It was slow on Wednesday, and moderate/reasonable yesterday, but every other day has been good.
Rad Ox 'reported' that a 10k + crowd is expected tomorrow earlier this avo in a sports report - (which had a LM interview as part of the segment)

3.00pm update and up to 7,814 home seat sales so very much in line with Colin's slightly earlier count.

That gives an estimated overall total of 9,384 so far (adding in estimates of 170 for boxes and 1,400 for Wycombe).

Remaining available home seats (1,740 in total) by stand are

South Stand Lower 606
South Stand Upper 410
East Stand 424
North Stand 300

It’s gonna be over 10k isn’t it?

What stumps me is this thought that we should be selling out every home game! Oh, come on, 7, 8 and 9k home fans is dreamland for us game in game out. There isn’t 5k casuals waiting for us to be near the top of league 1 before handing over their money…we have to grow this, and it will be steady. I think our crowds have been excellent!

It’s gonna be over 10k isn’t it?

What stumps me is this thought that we should be selling out every home game! Oh, come on, 7, 8 and 9k home fans is dreamland for us game in game out. There isn’t 5k casuals waiting for us to be near the top of league 1 before handing over their money…we have to grow this, and it will be steady. I think our crowds have been excellent!
Thats the thing.. casuals aren't going to be interested in a game against someone like Wycombe. They aren't rivals, they aren't an attractive draw for casual fans. I'm a season ticket holder and am far more excited by playing Maidenhead in the cup than Wycombe.

Thats the thing.. casuals aren't going to be interested in a game against someone like Wycombe. They aren't rivals, they aren't an attractive draw for casual fans. I'm a season ticket holder and am far more excited by playing Maidenhead in the cup than Wycombe.
You’re more excited about a home game in the 1st round of the FA Cup against NL opposition in front of 3k than a home league game that could see us go within a point of the top (with a game in hand)?

Surely, the opposition is immaterial.

Back
Top Bottom