Dot Counting Bristol Rovers 10k - 7th Oct

Attendance tracking
Is the TVP action actually proportionate to the risk? It seems WAY over the top and often punishes ordinary fans.

It seems way over the top because the club take the advice of TVP to bring the kick off forward.

I wonder if the Reading home game will be an early kick off too?

I'm firmly in the "play all games at 3pm" camp, but imagine if the club had ignored police advice to move kick off time and there had been disorder in or around the ground? The anti-stadium brigade would have been screaming from the rooftops about the beastly football fans causing chaos around Kidlington.

It's frustrating for those that missed the game or had their plans messed about, and it's seems that the police presence was over the top, but maybe this is part of a bigger picture to show that high profile games can be safely managed.

I'm firmly in the "play all games at 3pm" camp, but imagine if the club had ignored police advice to move kick off time and there had been disorder in or around the ground? The anti-stadium brigade would have been screaming from the rooftops about the beastly football fans causing chaos around Kidlington.

It's frustrating for those that missed the game or had their plans messed about, and it's seems that the police presence was over the top, but maybe this is part of a bigger picture to show that high profile games can be safely managed.
so having the kick off earlier equates to zero disorder? - I doubt that very much

There were no more police than there would've been for a Cat A 3pm kick off

Cat A games can be and indeed are policed successfully with a 3pm Kick off - if they cant , then why not move all Saturday games to an 8 am kick off, that should do it

so having the kick off earlier equates to zero disorder? - I doubt that very much

Cat A games can be and indeed are policed successfully with a 3pm Kick off - if they cant , then why not move all Saturday games to an 8 am kick off, that should do it
Surely in 2023 disorder is more likely to happen away from the stadium. Any committed "firms" from either side will go back into the City and have all day to drink and find each other after, surely.

I find the whole thing to be a total nonsense.

I'm not saying that there would or wouldn't have been disorder either way. The issue would have been that the club were advised by the police to move kick off time and ignored that advice. That would have been jumped on by all those that oppose the stadium to both reinforce their views that football fans are thugs and the club do not take public order seriously.

As it is, we can say that Oxford United Football Club has a excellent record of working alongside the police to ensure that the matchday experience is a safe one for fans of both clubs and our neighbours.

The difference between the two could be hugely important over the next few months.

At the risk of sounding all 'me, me me', as a London based fan who drives to games, the 12.30 kick-off was very convenient - missed the worst of the M25 build-up and was back home by about 4.15!

I'm not saying that there would or wouldn't have been disorder either way. The issue would have been that the club were advised by the police to move kick off time and ignored that advice. That would have been jumped on by all those that oppose the stadium to both reinforce their views that football fans are thugs and the club do not take public order seriously.

As it is, we can say that Oxford United Football Club has a excellent record of working alongside the police to ensure that the matchday experience is a safe one for fans of both clubs and our neighbours.

The difference between the two could be hugely important over the next few months.
bristol Roves chose to ignore the 'advice' of Avon and Somerset police for an early kick off- result 3pm kick off on a Saturday.

I'll again reiterate, the only reason TVP 'advise' an early kick off V Bristol Rovers, is entirely down to situations that TVP created pre match many seasons ago.

Their 'advice' is flawed

bristol Roves chose to ignore the 'advice' of Avon and Somerset police for an early kick off- result 3pm kick off on a Saturday.

I'll again reiterate, the only reason TVP 'advise' an early kick off V Bristol Rovers, is entirely down to situations that TVP created pre match many seasons ago.

Their 'advice' is flawed

You're missing the point about the consequences of the club ignoring advice from the police, and how what that would look like to those who already fear football fans.

Not for me, no, not midweek anyway.

The triangle will be far better for almost everyone though, including myself at weekends, but that's for another thread.
I do wonder though about exiles and the number of people relying on the car parks. If there is really restricted car parking will it hinder people watchig games, hence attendences?

I do wonder though about exiles and the number of people relying on the car parks. If there is really restricted car parking will it hinder people watchig games, hence attendences?

Exiles choosing to drive will be encouraged to park in a park and ride, either by the stadium and shuttle. Or the first one they encounter on the way up.

Exiles choosing to drive will be encouraged to park in a park and ride, either by the stadium and shuttle. Or the first one they encounter on the way up.
I hope there will be enough spaces for those who may need a disability space.

I am exile (of sorts, just over 50 miles and just over an hour) lucky enough that I live near a train station so that will be my way of getting there compared to driving now, looking forward to letting the train take the strain and actually making a day of it, bit of a dull experience for me sometimes at the moment, not like I can get drunk to celebrate/commiserate so actually looking forward to the change.

Midweeks will be harder, but here is the thing for me, I am not the future of the club and the club shouldn’t be making decisions around people like me, I chose to move away and it’s down to me to make the effort to get to games, the club needs to have a stadium that is attractive to local people as they will always be what secures it’s future.

What was your suggestion? OUSP secretary is away at the moment but I can take things to the Supporters Panel if you want.
From earlier in this thread: ‘While it’s easy to pile into ‘the Police’ about early kick offs, and I can’t defend or criticise either force here because I don’t know the facts but why doesn’t the @OUSP Secretary submit an FOI request or simply ask the club why the police still insist on an early kick off? The blanket ‘because both clubs have naughty fans and it might kick off’ simply isn’t good enough. I’d be very interested to hear their response, I think we all would’.

Anyone can put a freedom of information request in.
Very aware of that but don’t they have contact with the club and represent the fans interests? If not, tell me who to speak to at the club and I’ll ask the question before an FOI goes in.

With Reading Swindon elf cup fixture kicking off out of nowhere we can expect more police involvement not less.

Take into account that under resourcing a football match and then needing to drag resources from daily business… affects daily business.

I couldn’t go on Saturday because of kids football in the morning but if it saves the club a few bob by reducing the amount of police needed then so be it.

The Safety Advisory Group will score games based on the number of fans attending, the animosity and history of the two sides, and any intelligence information. It will also assess the ability of emergency services to respond to any incident should it occur. The outcome of this matrix will be a scoring that categories each game and how they will be managed.

Unfortunately the location of the Kassam makes things harder. It is a long way from any travel hubs which means that its very difficult to police any high risk groups into or away from the stadium. This is why home games may be scored higher than corresponding away fixtures between the same clubs.

I'm happy to ask the question as to whether there was any known issues that warranted the change of kick off time but I'll be amazed if any specific information will be disclosed.

I am exile (of sorts, just over 50 miles and just over an hour) lucky enough that I live near a train station so that will be my way of getting there compared to driving now, looking forward to letting the train take the strain and actually making a day of it, bit of a dull experience for me sometimes at the moment, not like I can get drunk to celebrate/commiserate so actually looking forward to the change.

Midweeks will be harder, but here is the thing for me, I am not the future of the club and the club shouldn’t be making decisions around people like me, I chose to move away and it’s down to me to make the effort to get to games, the club needs to have a stadium that is attractive to local people as they will always be what secures it’s future.

Exactly this. I'm looking forward to letting the train take the strain.

Back
Top Bottom