Dot Counting Wycombe 10k - Oct 28th

Attendance tracking
That’s an interesting dynamic.

Swindon, obviously. Big teams in the cups, get that.

But is opposition such as those others you listed more attractive than league position? Tickets sales certainly suggest that’s true. To me, that’s weird.
The two things are not mutually exclusive though.

We will have a higher number of home fans at this game than the two previous Wycombe games I mentioned, and I put that down to us being more successful (although we were doing well when we played them two years ago) rather than Wycombe becoming more attractive.

We haven't really played any attractive opposition yet, and yet our home crowds are up, something I put down to us being successful.

You’re more excited about a home game in the 1st round of the FA Cup against NL opposition in front of 3k than a home league game that could see us go within a point of the top (with a game in hand)?

Surely, the opposition is immaterial.
Obviously the league game is FAR more important. But as a spectacle, I'd rather watch us play the minnows and see either a big score or some of the fringe players, than see Wycombe. In reality, I'll be watching both.

The two things are not mutually exclusive though.

We will have a higher number of home fans at this game than the two previous Wycombe games I mentioned, and I put that down to us being more successful (although we were doing well when we played them two years ago) rather than Wycombe becoming more attractive.

We haven't really played any attractive opposition yet, and yet our home crowds are up, something I put down to us being successful.

I also think that there has been a boost from all of the coverage that the stadium has had over the last few months. Its helped remind those people that don't look at football results that there is a professional football club on their doorstep.

The family day last Saturday was really well received and had a lot of people coming to a game for the first time. And hopefully the promotion with the universities has helped see a few return.

We can do so much more to improve marketing and communications, but we are seeing gradual improvements in our attendance figures that I hope would survive a drop off in form (although I also hope that we never have to find out!)

6.30pm update and another 116 sales since 3.00pm taking the overall home seat sales up up to 7,928.

That gives an estimated overall total of 9,565 so far (adding in estimates of 170 for boxes and the sold out away allocation of 1,467 for Wycombe).

Remaining available home seats (1,626 in total) by stand are

South Stand Lower 603
South Stand Upper 379
East Stand 402
North Stand 242 (selling as fast as the 3 other sections combined)

There were 1,085 seats left at kick off for the last match vs Blackpool so if we can match that (meaning another 540 sales from this point), we would get up to 10,100.

10.30pm update and another 161 sales since 6.30pm bringing total home seat sales up to 8,089.

There are now 1,465 seats left split 592 (SSU), 350 (SSU), 358 (ES) and 165 (NS).

Add in a boxes estimate of 170 based on the Blackpool match and that brings total home sales so far to 8,259.

Wycombe have reportedly sold out their allocation of 1,467 which means total sales are now an estimated 9,726.

We are 100 ahead of the Blackpool pre-matchday final tally (I had it at 7,990 and Colin had 8,000) with 90 minutes to go yet this evening.

I had 470 on the day seat sales for the Blackpool match so if we achieve that again we will get up to 10,200.

You’re more excited about a home game in the 1st round of the FA Cup against NL opposition in front of 3k than a home league game that could see us go within a point of the top (with a game in hand)?

Surely, the opposition is immaterial.

When Ainsworth was in charge, I feel like there was a genuine deterrent to watching a Wycombe game. You knew they would play tedious, cheating anti-football and would almost certainly beat us.

Now he's gone, they're just another team.....

Midnight count had us at just over 7,600 home sales. We sold a net of just under 200, but over 200 when taking into account that a number of extra seats were added in to the VIP section. There were 25 of those seats remaining at midnight.

That's slightly slower than hoped for, but by no means a disaster. So I did a count at 10am this morning and pleased to see a further 75 have been sold since midnight. We're currently 300 behind our Friday midnight sales for Blackpool, so I'd expect that number to be exceeded, as we normally do 450+ on a Friday, and have sold as many as 650.

With the sales from Wycombe, on their big day out, looking healthy, I think we're heading for about 10,200 total.
Very good Friday sales of just below 550, leaving us at home sales of 8,134 at midnight. That's the second highest Friday sales of the season, and also means our sales since Tuesday evening's defeat are now very much on a par with the same period (midnight Tuesday to midnight Friday) as our other home games this season, so there hasn't been a drop off. Given that we were starting from a higher base it leaves us currently ahead of all games this season, with the exception of Exeter (200 behind). We're ahead of the Charlton game by 1,000 and Port Vale by over 700.

We should do anywhere between 600/750 today, so I'll go for a home attendance of 8,750/8,850 and a total attendance of 10,200/10,300. If we get to 10,213 then our average so far this season will top 9,000. Last time we averaged over 9,000 for a full season was 1987!

Last edited:
Very good Friday sales of just below 550, leaving us at home sales of 8,134 at midnight. That's the second highest Friday sales of the season, and also means our sales since Tuesday evening's defeat are now very much on a par with the same period (midnight Tuesday to midnight Friday) of our other home games this season, so there hasn't been a drop off. Given that we were starting from a higher base it leaves us currently ahead of all games this season, with the exception of Exeter (200 behind). We're ahead of the Charlton game by 1,000 and Port Vale by over 700.

We should do anywhere between 600/750 today, so I'll go for a home attendance of 8,750/8,850 and a total attendance of 10,200/10,300. If we get to 10,213 then our average so far this season will top 9,000. Last time we averaged over 9,000 for a full season was 1987!

Were you a Secret Dot Counter in those halcyon days?

Do you have a stash of predictions and actual attendances spanning the entire clubs history?

So many questions!

Last time we averaged over 9,000 for a full season was 1987!

The year before I was born. Makes me feel very old.

Shows though even fans being slightly disappointed in not selling out these games. Our attendances are increasing gradually.

12.15pm match day update and we are up to 8324 home seat sales, leaving 1,240 still available.

105 in North Stand (only single seats now), 289 in East Stand, 302 in South Stand Upper and 544 in SS Lower.

With boxes and Wycombe added, that takes us up to an estimated 9,951 total so it looks like 10,200 will be an accurate enough prediction.

Last edited:
I think as Colin b has said above, the last time we averaged 9k was 1987. If you bear in mind who was playing for us in 1987 then that’s incredible. Don’t get me wrong, I love the likes of Moore, Leigh, Cambran and co but by Christ I’m old enough to understand the difference. Our club is growing. Our population is becoming healthier, wealthier, younger…It’s a great time to be an Oufc fan…regardless of what happens today.

Back
Top Bottom